St Johnstone v Motherwell 21/10/23

Toxteth O'Grady

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Will we see his best tomorrow? Perhaps if we were playing in League 2, where he was at his best. So, maybe not. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-fans-havent-seen-best-31230619

Still think he needs more time, can take time to settle into a new league with new team mates plus had no run of games due to injuries.   Remember a lot of comments about Higdon when he signed and that didn't turn out too bad.

Not saying Wilkinson will do the same but definitely needs to be given a chance.  If fans start getting on his back it isn't going to help him

16 hours ago, MJC said:

Biereth is almost reaching David Ferrere levels of greatness the longer he’s been out.

Obviously the circumstances are different but there are also similarities too. Like Ferrere he comes on as a sub in a second half against Hibs in a match we don’t look like scoring in. His contribution is different but also like Ferrere he turns the game around for us and we win. Cue Motherwell fans (me included) thinking we have a new hero, a new goalscorer on our hands….As we know Ferrere did nothing else in his short time with us and now it remains to be seen if Mika Biereth will/can do any more when he finally returns from injury. 
Only time will tell but pinning our hopes on an injured loanee who hasn’t played 45 minutes of football for us coming back fully fit and being the answer to our problems is optimistic, to say the least.

The difference with Biereth is that he's a promising youngster from a top EPL club.

I don't think anybody is saying he's the answer to all our striking woes. When you only have one fit striker available, however, he's at least the answer to having two fit strikers. If nothing else, you know anyone who comes from Arsenal these days is big, fit and can pass a ball.

• Like 2

Once again, the safety of travelling fans won't be a consideration. I would think that refusal of a ticket refund due to being not advised to travel to the stadium would be unreasonable even if its in the T and Cs. In the event, whether or not the game goes ahead is not their decision to make.

Better to postpone now than wait until tomorrow when fans have started travelling I suppose. 

That will be another midweek game to be fitted in somewhere and no doubt we’ll get the usual Fir Park flood/structural damage/fire/lightning strike/power cut/sink hole postponement at some point over the next few months so hopefully we don’t end up with a backlog at some point.

1 hour ago, MJC said:

That will be another midweek game to be fitted in somewhere and no doubt we’ll get the usual Fir Park flood/structural damage/fire/lightning strike/power cut/sink hole postponement at some point over the next few months so hopefully we don’t end up with a backlog at some point.

I know people are dying in the storms, but thoughts and prayers to anyone having to attend an extra Wednesday night game. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I know people are dying in the storms, but thoughts and prayers to anyone having to attend an extra Wednesday night game. 

Even by your crass, snidey, pedantic standards that’s piss poor. 

I notice you missed out the first sentence of that quote, about it being better to postpone it now than wait til tomorrow when people have started travelling. 

But anything to be awkward and argumentative eh?

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Can't say I'm surprised or disappointed. We now get another week for Butcher to fully return, Biereth to get back into training with us, and our strikers more time to find their shooting boots…

And avoiding a game played under conditions where it’s just a lottery who wins. 

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Better to postpone now than wait until tomorrow when fans have started travelling I suppose. 

By fek your a bundle of laughs. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, stv said:

By fek your a bundle of laughs. 

I didn’t realise this thread was for generating laughs.

Although I did have my tongue slightly in my cheek when I talked about Fir Park having it’s almost annual weather related postponement at some point over the winter. For all FP has had its issues over the years I don’t think it’s ever had a sink hole, yet anyway. 

Granted I’m no Billy Connolly but I would have thought that most people would have realised that I was being slightly ‘satirical’ about Fir Park when I said that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

The correct decision and it was sensible to announce it early. A bit bizarre though to announce the game was likely to go ahead just before announcing it was postponed. Most folk living round about Perth thought that the game was definitely in danger. 

Perhaps they were only taking into account the condition of the playing surface and the immediate surrounding areas when they put that out?

Jumping the gun of course but maybe they hadn’t taken travel and police advice properly on board at that point? Obviously it was the right decision to postpone given the weather warnings and as I said much better to do it today rather than tomorrow.

Sensible decision.

Just travelling anywhere around the east of Scotland rught now is fraught wuth danger. Let alone trying to play a football match in it.

Like others have said, it lets Butcher and Biereth both get a step closer to making their returns, and anything that improves our selection issues over the last month or so is to be welcomed.

1 hour ago, MJC said:

I didn’t realise this thread was for generating laughs.

Although I did have my tongue slightly in my cheek when I talked about Fir Park having it’s almost annual weather related postponement at some point over the winter. For all FP has had its issues over the years I don’t think it’s ever had a sink hole, yet anyway. 

Granted I’m no Billy Connolly but I would have thought that most people would have realised that I was being slightly ‘satirical’ about Fir Park when I said that. 

For first part is it not?......

I am snookered then. 🤣🤪

23 hours ago, MJC said:

Biereth is almost reaching David Ferrere levels of greatness the longer he’s been out.

Obviously the circumstances are different but there are also similarities too. Like Ferrere he comes on as a sub in a second half against Hibs in a match we don’t look like scoring in. His contribution is different but also like Ferrere he turns the game around for us and we win. Cue Motherwell fans (me included) thinking we have a new hero, a new goalscorer on our hands….As we know Ferrere did nothing else in his short time with us and now it remains to be seen if Mika Biereth will/can do any more when he finally returns from injury. 

Only time will tell but pinning our hopes on an injured loanee who hasn’t played 45 minutes of football for us coming back fully fit and being the answer to our problems is optimistic, to say the least.

He's pretty decent in the wee mans new Fifa/EA FC team. 😁