Motherwell v Ross County 28/10/2023

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

Butcher & Biereth in with a chance of playing on Saturday. Looks like Souaré could well be a write off for the season.

Sorry to hear about Souare. Never like seeing anyone injured but I don't think it will affect us as plenty of cover in that area and to be honest I haven't been that impressed with him. I wouldn't be looking to extend his contract in January 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Sorry to hear about Souare. Never like seeing anyone injured but I don't think it will affect us as plenty of cover in that area and to be honest I haven't been that impressed with him. I wouldn't be looking to extend his contract in January 

Kettlewell talks about it being a significant injury and the club supporting him - maybe they'll give him some kind of reduced contract till the end of the season.

21 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The goals that you describe have been caused by players at the front being out of position, forcing everyone in the line to have to move in one to cover whats in front of goal. That leaves the man at the back post looking really stupid. But its not their fault. On one occasion it was Casey that was left high and dry at the back post and he quite rightly went tonto at his team mates. 

Im hoping putting Butcher back in there sorts that problem out. He is clearly a talker and an organiser. We need that back in our defence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrG_QoFbPB0

I thought I'd put in a perfect example albeit from the past on goal one.

12 hours ago, wunderwell said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrG_QoFbPB0

I thought I'd put in a perfect example albeit from the past on goal one.

Not sure how this backs up your point?

We were discussing how SOD has done this season for Motherwell.

That goal doesnt really compare to any of the goals we have lost this season because the Scotland players are all in position and doing their job.

You can say that SOD was culpable for that goal, but I dont recall him being similarly so for us this season. 

The St Mirren one is the one folk will try and beat him over the head with, but there are 2 players in front of him out of position marking no one causing him to have to come inside to mark the man in front of goal.

Thats what leaves the man free at the back. Not just bad defending like the goal above.

• Like 2

Re Ross County.

I dont ususally do the "must win game" thing.

And in the context of the whole season, it clearly isnt a must win.

But in the context of the current run we are on, we really need to stop the slide and do it quickly to prevent confidence being eroded away.

This would be a really good time to start.

I'm not expecting a classic today. Result is more importnat than entertainment for Ross County. I fear that, if we go with one man up front, they will have drawn encouragement and optimism from Livingston's highly effective tactics of smothering and suffocating our midfielders. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'm not expecting a classic today. Result is more importnat than entertainment for Ross County. I fear that, if we go with one man up front, they will have drawn encouragement and optimism from Livingston's highly effective tactics of smothering and suffocating our midfielders. 

Spot on,if we play one up front today then we will be playing right into there hands from the start.this is the ideal game to have two up front and have a right go.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

If we go with one man up again, especially if it’s Bair, then questions will start to be asked of Kettlewell. I think we’ll see a different approach today though.

Unfortunately I can’t see us winning. I reckon it’ll be a drab, stodgy 1-1 draw.

On 10/27/2023 at 10:09 AM, joewarkfanclub said:

Re Ross County.

I dont ususally do the "must win game" thing.

And in the context of the whole season, it clearly isnt a must win.

But in the context of the current run we are on, we really need to stop the slide and do it quickly to prevent confidence being eroded away.

This would be a really good time to start.

I don't see Ross County finishing any higher than 10th this season so we've got to be beating them at home.

They've not scored in their last 3 league matches and haven't scored more than once in the last six.

Of course we haven't exactly been putting them away either.

We've only scored 2 league goals in the first 60 minutes, so we need to step up from the off and take this game by the scruff of the neck and make sure we play a 90 minute match instead of waiting until later in the game to actually put some pressure on the opposition.

20 minutes ago, steelboy said:

As long as we are playing SOD at right wing back games are going to be a struggle. 

It's a big day for Shaw and Bair. They need to show something. 

Agreed.

The difference Max Johnston made last season, even when he came on as a sub, was huge.