Kilmarnock v Motherwell 04/11/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Part of me thinks that playing Biereth on their surface would be sheer folly at this stage of his recovery. However recent results mean that we could seriously do with picking up something from this game so we need to go in without strongest line up which obviously would include Mika. Is it worth the risk? I am currently thinking that  five bob each way might be the best way to go and start with Mika on the bench. Of course, it could all come down to what Arsenal have to say onthe subject.

Above all else I want to see a reaction to last nights performance.  Takes me back to games under McLean, there were plenty of very poor performances but never 2 in a row. The team would get a roasting and come out fighting.   Want to see that type of reaction on Saturday.

My base expectation is we come out as a well drilled team and do the basics well, eg fight and win the 2nd ball. 

A few players need to be dropped as they need a kick up the backside.  Plenty could be dropped , 6-7 who started last night could well drop out of contention , including our captain. 

15 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Will Biereth be risked on a weed infested plastic pitch? 

I'd be surprised if he featured for more than 15-20 minutes on that pitch. If he ends up with another injury, this time due to a sub-standard surface I reckon Arsenal may end up pulling him entirely.

• Like 1

Tempted to go 4 4 1 1 for this. 

Kelly

McGinn. Butcher. Casey.  Spencer

Davor

Paton.             Slattery.           Spittal

Miller

Haven't a Scooby!!

Mika if fully fit would obviously start but I wouldn't as that pitch could knock his comeback and put him out again.   I honestly don't know who to start up front.....feck it ...give young Luca Ross a start....can't be any worse than Wilko....Shaw and Bair

24 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Tempted to go 4 4 1 1 for this. 

Kelly

McGinn. Butcher. Casey.  Spencer

Davor

Paton.             Slattery.           Spittal

Miller

Haven't a Scooby!!

Mika if fully fit would obviously start but I wouldn't as that pitch could knock his comeback and put him out again.   I honestly don't know who to start up front.....feck it ...give young Luca Ross a start....can't be any worse than Wilko....Shaw and Bair

one option that may help is play Butcher in the position that you have Davor. Just in front of the defence.  

A midfield with Miller, Davor, Butcher, Paton would be hardworking albeit lack a bit of creativity. 

Slattery/Splittal could do with time on the bench. Neither are great when the going get's tough.  

Kettlewell needs to make changes even although  he’s limited in what he can do . 
The players have ability as they showed at start of season but when they hit problems there mental strength goes and it spreads through the team . 
If players can’t handle this then they need dropped .

Magabiis the exception . Seems a lovely lad but pressure gets to him and them he becomes a liability and his decision making and positional sense goes out the window .

Think up front the best combination would be Bireth and Obika (remember him) 

. The remaining strikers mmmmmm not so sure tbh . 
Finally was that actually Slattery last night . 
Tremendous at start of season to last night .(WTF)

32 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

one option that may help is play Butcher in the position that you have Davor. Just in front of the defence.  

A midfield with Miller, Davor, Butcher, Paton would be hardworking albeit lack a bit of creativity. 

Slattery/Splittal could do with time on the bench. Neither are great when the going get's tough.  

Good point re Slattery and Spittal, wee spell on bench makes them realise they need to fight for place.  Slattery started great but been brutal last 2 games.   I like Spittal but set pieces are brutal but not as bad as a lot make him out to be 

For whatever reason, it seemed as though Slattery had decided to milk freekicks at every opportunity last night. The referee was having none of it, even when he was genuinely fouled. He was outstanding at the start of the season and looking really fit so I'd bench him so that he can refocus and get over this wee dip in form. Don't know Davor's strongest position yet but would like to see him get a run of starts to see what he can do.

I like the idea of putting Butcher in a holding midfield role but Casey / Bevis / Blaney really need him next to them and keeping them disciplined. Casey in particular seems to be going walkabout a fair bit these days.

• Like 1

Very tough decisions to be made on Saturday. I think I’d go with a 3-5-1-1. 

McGinn, Butcher, Casey

Spencer, Davor, Miller, Paton, Odonnell

Spittal

Bair (we’d all have Biereth but that’s not happening, particularly on that pitch)

Spencer on the right, O’Donnell reluctantly on the left (don’t think we have anyone else). Deffo do not want to see Slattery or Wilkinson starting. Reluctantly going for Bair up front as he’s at least got a presence and works hard, not sure we’d get that from Wilkinson or Shaw.

Biereth to come on last 20 mins and get the winner!

44 minutes ago, couttsy said:

Very tough decisions to be made on Saturday. I think I’d go with a 3-5-1-1. 

McGinn, Butcher, Casey

Spencer, Davor, Miller, Paton, Odonnell

Spittal

Bair (we’d all have Biereth but that’s not happening, particularly on that pitch)

If we play that formation Couttsy, we'll end up shelling long high balls to Bair. 

Biereth wont play . Recovering after a knee injury on a plastic pitch, Arsenal wont allow it and i would think we wouldn’t risk him either. Miss this one out and rest him up.
Thats how Killie stayed up last year ,thanks to a shite plastic pitch no one else could play on.. We invested in our ground and a quality pitch at the expense of money in players.   All premiership games should be played on grass. 

Kelly

Spencer RWB

Casey, Butcher & McGinn CB

Gent LWB

(Or even put McGinn RWB and keep Spencer LWB with Mugabi, Casey & Butcher in there, but O'Donnell needs dropped)

Miller

Paton

Slattery

Wilkinson

Shaw

Slattery's been pish last few games but is a better option than Spittal, and we don't have any striker than can play up top alone.

I expect an absolute shitfest of a game but if we could somehow shitfest our way to 3 points that'd be great.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

If we play that formation Couttsy, we'll end up shelling long high balls to Bair. 

Yip, a definite possibility, although on that pitch it might not be the worst idea in the world as long as we get some support to him.

Shaw and Wilkinson have been so poor, and Biereth won’t be allowed to start, so I see it as the best of a bad bunch of options. 

9 hours ago, couttsy said:

Yip, a definite possibility, although on that pitch it might not be the worst idea in the world as long as we get some support to him.

Shaw and Wilkinson have been so poor, and Biereth won’t be allowed to start, so I see it as the best of a bad bunch of options. 

I think we agree about the challenges facing SK in preparing for tomorrow. The problem isn't just the lone striker himself though its the supporting system thats my main issue. In recent times, since the Livingston game, our sole striker (when playing that set up) has been totally isolated, which shouldn't be a surprise to us. Neither wing back has been able to bomb up and down the wings effectively; and the advanced midfield pairing of Spittal and Slattery, don't have the pace to get close to him. If by chance they do, they're isolated when things break down. Add to that, most opponents now have our Plan A/A+ well and truly worked out.

18 hours ago, David said:

I'd be surprised if he featured for more than 15-20 minutes on that pitch. If he ends up with another injury, this time due to a sub-standard surface I reckon Arsenal may end up pulling him entirely.

I don't think I would risk Biereth or butcher, try and set up for a draw...if we're to lose Biereth to another injury, we are in trouble.

Think what is also important tomorrow is that those going create a great atmosphere and get right behind whatever line up SK selects.   If fans start getting edgy and on the players backs it is hardly going to help their cause.  Remember Killie lost to St Johnstone on Wednesday after beating Aberdeen so they are up and down also.   No reason why we can't go there and get a positive result.    COYW

Just now, grizzlyg said:

Think what is also important tomorrow is that those going create a great atmosphere and get right behind whatever line up SK selects.   If fans start getting edgy and on the players backs it is hardly going to help their cause.  Remember Killie lost to St Johnstone on Wednesday after beating Aberdeen so they are up and down also.   No reason why we can't go there and get a positive result.    COYW

The reality is that in this league anybody can beat anyone outside of the top two. (Well some can get the odd victory over those two but we can’t) We could well go there tomorrow and win, just as it could go the other way. You can see just how tight it is with the points difference between 4th and 11th currently and at the end of the season it largely comes down to who picks up the most points in games like these. The problem for us just now is that we are on a dismal run and our confidence looks shot to buggery, and also have rank rotten players masquerading as forwards so it’s going to be a tough task.