Motherwell v Dundee 02/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

The goals we are conceding are laughable. Lyle Cameron is 5'2", not fucking invisible. His movement was clever, but we just watched him do it.

We have improved in both boxes for set pieces, but we are all over the place at crosses from open play.

We are hamstringing one of our best players in Spencer by playing him on the wrong side. Kettlewell was initially good at taking feelings out of the equation and picking the best side, he's not doing that now.

The players are certainly fighting, but they aren't being set up to succeed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MJC said:

We really are spawny bastards.

That result changes nothing for us in a positive sense but it takes the heat off Kettlewell for another game. 

The bigger picture is that we have now failed to win in three months and have yet again failed to win a must win game at home.

We are absolutely dreadful. We can’t defend, our forward options are hopeless and without 17 year old Lennon Miller and a flukey, underserved draw against Dundee changes nothing. 

I'm sorry for your loss.

3 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I’d keep SK. I’m fed up sacking managers we need some continuity. Him and the players need to turn it around and I think we will get there. 

Yep, I agree with that. We need to give him the time to build his own team. I like SK and think that he can become a success at Motherwell.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I'm sorry for your loss.

In all seriousness do you think that is a positive result for us? At home against Dundee having not won a game for three months, ten games and we scrape a draw with the last kick of the ball. Again. I’m sorry but for me that’s nothing to shout about. If that game finishes 2-2 then the manager and the team are rightly being slaughtered but by spawnying a 3-3 just like we did against Ross County just lets the team, the manager off the hook and gives the happy clappers in the stands and the boardroom something to munch away at for another week. 

Still though…. #scenes and all that pish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mad Dog said:

Yep, I agree with that. We need to give him the time to build his own team. I like SK and think that he can become a success at Motherwell.

Not being funny here, but when you say you think he can become a success at Motherwell, what are you basing that on?

His record as a top-flight manager isn't good. He failed at Ross County when he got the job on his own, and once he got a transfer window at Motherwell he hasn't really done a great job here either.

Just now, MJC said:

In all seriousness do you think that is a positive result for us? At home against Dundee having not won a game for three months, ten games and we scrape a draw with the last kick of the ball. Again. I’m sorry but for me that’s nothing to shout about. If that game finishes 2-2 then the manager and the team are rightly being slaughtered but by spawnying a 3-3 just like we did against Ross County just lets the team, the manager off the hook and gives the happy clappers in the stands and the boardroom something to munch away at for another week. 

Things went wrong in the transfer window no doubt. We have the next one to get it right. Midfield needs option and CDM. A left back we trust as well.

Just now, David said:

Not being funny here, but when you say you think he can become a success at Motherwell, what are you basing that on?

His record as a top-flight manager isn't good. He failed at Ross County when he got the job on his own, and once he got a transfer window at Motherwell he hasn't really done a great job here either.

But we skip the whole of the end of last season after Hammell?

1 minute ago, Erskine Alpha said:

Snatched a draw but the manager has to go. In a world of stats the one he is failing on is wins, I genuinely hoped he would have turned it t around but I think it’s time for him to go. The next manager should play the youngsters as the senior players aren’t cutting it

Play the youngsters.
I actually would love that, but prepare for the championship.
If we want to change into this philosphy, then the support need to change their expectancy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

But we skip the whole of the end of last season after Hammell?

While I give him some credit for that, he was a huge beneficiary of Van Veen hitting some mental freak form, and also it wasn't his team. Once he was given sole control and was given the chance to shape the squad how he wanted it, we've all seen the results.

It was the same at Ross County. Once he got sole control and was given the transfer window to do business it all came apart.

4 minutes ago, MJC said:

"happy clapper" opposite "doom merchant"
As I said before Jan window defines the position we finish.

1 minute ago, MJC said:

a think heez still got the players on side  there all trying like feck for him  maybe a bit of tweeking  and shuffling we might just have enough to get us to the window, if we could get rid of some shite and maybe bring in a couple of not so shite then i think 3rd bottom is very possible then let him rebuild in the summer, i think heez got something about him  but we cant just keep changing    remember what man u done with fergie

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

Still though…. #scenes and all that pish.

In all seriousness, I think I will never want Motherwell to lose, whatever the reasons or circumstances. And in all seriousness, I don't think you feel the same way.

• Like 1

Just now, David said:

While I give him some credit for that, he was a huge benefactor of Van Veen hitting some mental freak form, and also it wasn't his team. Once he was given sole control and was given the chance to shape the squad how he wanted it, we've all seen the results.

It was the same at Ross County. Once he got sole control and was given the transfer window to do business it all came apart.

Personally I think it's two windows to shape a team considering what we lost.
I admit some bad signings - what irks me is the length of deals on players we have to bin.
I'll judge where we are in February - some tweaks and we should be ok. Fail and we are down. That is why I state this period is key.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Statistically, who would our next manager be?

Just now, wunderwell said:

Personally I think it's two windows to shape a team considering what we lost.
I admit some bad signings - what irks me is the length of deals on players we have to bin.
I'll judge where we are in February - some tweaks and we should be ok. Fail and we are down. That is why I state this period is key.

I agree. Sadly, I have zero faith in our current recruitment team or manager to get it right in January. I really hope I'm wrong, but I think we're going to head into January doing what we always do. Panic buying. 

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

Statistically, who would our next manager be?

Some snappy dresser from the Norwegian 3rd tier.

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

In all seriousness, I think I will never want Motherwell to lose, whatever the reasons or circumstances. And in all seriousness, I don't think you feel the same way.

You’re right, I don’t ever want to see us lose. But at the same time today I take absolutely no satisfaction in us drawing. We needed to win today, just like we needed to win against Ross County at the end of October. But we were rank rotten in both games, gave away cheap goals and scraped a 3-3 draw with the last kick of the ball in both games. Had we lost either game then, imo, Kettlewell would have been sacked/resigned/or at least been put under a lot more pressure than he ended up being in.

Looking at the table, the one point keeps us above livingston, even if they win their game in hand. So from that point of view its a good point. Of course we need to start winning games and soon. We also need to change shape, as Dundee knew how to counter our current shape, and exploit the weaknesses.

We cant keep sacking managers. Who's actually out there who would want to come in and work under the restrictions our manager has to abide by.

19 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

We are hamstringing one of our best players in Spencer by playing him on the wrong side. 

I think that's a great point. A lot of the stray passes today from the likes of Spencer (and Sods tbf) were caused as a direct result of them having to turn in on their unnatural foot. 

If you want them to do the basics well give them the best opportunity to do so. 

Just now, MJC said:

You’re right, I don’t ever want to see us lose. But at the same time today I take absolutely no satisfaction in us drawing. We needed to win today, just like we needed to win against Ross County at the end of October. But we were rank rotten in both games, gave away cheap goals and scraped a 3-3 draw with the last kick of the ball in both games. Had we lost either game then, imo, Kettlewell would have been sacked/resigned/or at least been put under a lot more pressure than he ended up being in.

You may want to read my comment again.