Motherwell v Dundee 02/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

A different mindset from yesterday will be required for this one. It'll be up to us to go out and force play, battle for possession and use the ball wisely. A huge test for SK. Not bothered in the least if we score an early goal so long as we score at least one more than Dundee. A 93rd minute opener for us would do nicely. 

6 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

3 games that could easily define our season 

Spot on. I'm looking for a minimum of 6 points here. Irrespective of Board action or inaction, SK's position needs to be clarified by the results. The worst possible outcome is an "adequate" return from these games i.e. something akin to a win and a draw or a win, or 3 draws.  That just perpetuates uncertainty We need to enter the New Year as a unified, settled outfit and one with a clear idea of the way ahead.  

• Like 1

We have to win this one, no two ways about it.

It would really help our cause if we could actually score first as opposed to having to chase the game and giving ourselves a mountain to climb. Obika and Biereth should both start as long as they are fit.

• Like 1

Totally agree that this next period will be season defining.

Good points return from the next 4 games and we go into the Rangers game, and indeed the New Year, with confidence and buy ourselves some breathing space at the bottom of the table.

Poor return and the Celtic game looks like a blip in an otherwise downward trajectory, the pressure mounts and the board have a decision to make prior to the January window.

I think 8 points would be more than respectable from the 4 games. 2 home wins and 2 away draws would do nicely.

This being the first home game therefore becomes massive for us.

Hoping for a similar structure to the Celtic game but with some tweaks in personnel to get us on the front foot.

Ive defended SOD on here for long and weary, and I dont think he has done anything to deserve to be dropped (more than anyone else at least) but we really need the width and dynamism that Gent and Spencer would provide in their natural positions.

Whether we would still need 4 in midfield in that formation or try Obika up top with Biereth, is up for question, but Id like to see it given a go.

Id start.......

Kelly

Casey     Butcher   Blaney

Spencer                                    Gent

Slattery     Paton    Spittal

Biereth   Obika

Try and get goals up early doors and use SOD and Mugabi in the "Celtic" formation, to shore things up defensively when the legs start to go up top.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Id start.......

Kelly

Casey     Butcher   Blaney

Spencer                                    Gent

Slattery     Paton    Spittal

Biereth   Obika

Try and get goals up early doors and use SOD and Mugabi in the "Celtic" formation, to shore things up defensively when the legs start to go up top.

this is generally the shape I'd go with.  Biggest concern is the 3 across the midfield really are weak as a collective.  

Overall there's a few variations of who could play where (Butcher, SOD, Mugabi, Davor etc) but it needs to be this or a very old fashioned 4-4-2 in the next 3 games where we go out on the offensive, get ahead win and cheer us all up. 

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Just heard, ahead of the Dundee game VAR has already awarded the pre-emptive booking for Slattery.  He must be closing in on his personal ambition/points tally for suspension. 

A suspension for Christmas is the dream

• Haha 1

Anyone actually at Saturdays game shed any light on how Butcher played in midfield?

Is it something worth pursuing with?

Mugabi certainly gives us an aerial advantage in defence that we dont really have without him.

I wouldnt be averse to keeping him there if Butcher was the protective influence in midfield we need.

That being the case you could keep the diamond with Slattery, Paton and Spittal, or drop one of them to play Obika......

18 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Anyone actually at Saturdays game shed any light on how Butcher played in midfield?

Is it something worth pursuing with?

Mugabi certainly gives us an aerial advantage in defence that we dont really have without him.

I wouldnt be averse to keeping him there if Butcher was the protective influence in midfield we need.

That being the case you could keep the diamond with Slattery, Paton and Spittal, or drop one of them to play Obika......

Personal view is we were stronger with Butcher in midfield - albeit all the team ended up very deep 

in the last 2 months  teams have carved straight through our midfield . Slattery and Spittal are ok moving forward but weak defensively . Butcher in the holding role made it tough to play through us .

butcher added a bit of bite and for now I think better off on midfield.  

We need 4 in midfield when we play spittal and slattery . I think one needs dropped if we continue to play the 3-5-2 / 5-3-2 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fergie79 said:

He is suspended for this Dundee game

‘Callum Slattery will serve his one match suspension after the midfielder picked up his sixth booking against Celtic.’

Odd, suspensions usually kick in 2 weeks after the accumulation of sufficient cards.

2 hours ago, Fergie79 said:

He is suspended for this Dundee game

If Davor doesn't get some decent game time now that Miller and Slattery are both out, you’d imagine he'd be looking at his options come January as there is no way a guy used to starting games is gonna sit on the bench for another 1.5 years. 

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

If Davor doesn't get some decent game time now that Miller and Slattery are both out, you’d imagine he'd be looking at his options come January as there is no way a guy used to starting games is gonna sit on the bench for another 1.5 years. 

Assume the manager just doesn't rate him. He looked reasonably neat/tidy defensive midfield type player. I'd have liked to see him have a run of games to see ,he's international so must have something to offer. If  deemed not good enough then another shameful signing.   

Suspect Butcher will remain in midfield.