Motherwell v Dundee 02/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

7 minutes ago, David said:

Not being funny here, but when you say you think he can become a success at Motherwell, what are you basing that on?

His record as a top-flight manager isn't good. He failed at Ross County when he got the job on his own, and once he got a transfer window at Motherwell he hasn't really done a great job here either.

To use your own line of questioning, what are you basing your confidence in us getting a new manager that will be any better? Either way, get a new manager or persevere with SK, it’s a gamble. I’d rather work with the manager we have. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

He survives to fight another day but the fact remains that his initial tactics are always shocking and we sit off teams despite not being able to defend.

SOD, Butcher, Paton and Blaney are nowhere near good enough for this level and need moved on. 

probs more than that   but right now we need to pee with the coke weve got  so some tweaks and hopefully do enough to stay up

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

He survives to fight another day but the fact remains that his initial tactics are always shocking and we sit off teams despite not being able to defend.

SOD, Butcher, Paton and Blaney are nowhere near good enough for this level and need moved on. 

You are not wrong - always down after a first half.
He seems to turn it around by subbing on everyone who is quoted as being a striker at the club and bypassing the midfield. It's very bizarre.

1 minute ago, texanwellfan said:

To use your own line of questioning, what are you basing your confidence in us getting a new manager that will be any better? Either way, get a new manager or persevere with SK, it’s a gamble. I’d rather work with the manager we have.

I'm basing my confidence in us hopefully appointing someone who has a better track record than Kettlewell. He's really done nothing in management to warrant any confidence in his abilities.

Granted, he's a terrific talker and he sounds good when a camera is on him, which is why he is probably better suited to radio or Sportscene.

You're right, it is a gamble. But there are levels of potential success in gambling. 

The way I see it, he's not going to succeed at Motherwell. The only real question is, will he be let go before he gets another transfer window? Or after it? I'd be extremely surprised if he's in the dugout at the end of the season.

The goals were conceded today were comical. To restrict Celtic to virtually nothing on their own patch to that today was criminal. That however is only half the problem. From middle to front we have no clear plan on how to break teams down and get in behind. We're a long ball hit and hope team and it's eye bleedingly bad. We don't have bad forwards as goals scored shows, it's the lack of decent service that's the main issue. There's a real lack of imagination in midfield. I missed our third today but Dundee must be kicking themselves that they weren't out of sight by the end. We're relying far too heavily on other teams making mistakes without really creating anything by our own doing. If Kettlewell is still in the job come January he needs to get some width in the side. O'Donnell as much as he's a safe pair of the hands at the back he offers us nothing going forward. Can't cross, never beats the first man and doesn't have the pace to get to the byeline.

I can't believe people are saying we should stick with SK. Not only have we not won in 11 (!!!) games but we have been hideous in a lot of those games.

His track record as an SPFL manager isn't good, we are badly out of form, his transfer window to build his own team has been a disaster, and we haven't won in ELEVEN games.

Time to go.

• Thanks 1

I was hung over, there was drip right above my seat, our winless run continued and there was some fractious moments between the crowd, the manager and some of our senior players but you know what?

I actually enjoyed the match today.  Open, played at a decent pace, plenty of incident and goals.  

OK, the overall performance wasn't great, I actually thought Dundee deserved the win, but that doesn't look like a team that's given up to me.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

The goals were conceded today were comical. To restrict Celtic to virtually nothing on their own patch to that today was criminal. That however is only half the problem. From middle to front we have no clear plan on how to break teams down and get in behind. We're a long ball hit and hope team and it's eye bleedingly bad. We don't have bad forwards as goals scored shows, it's the lack of decent service that's the main issue. There's a real lack of imagination in midfield. I missed our third today but Dundee must be kicking themselves that they weren't out of sight by the end. We're relying far too heavily on other teams making mistakes without really creating anything by our own doing. If Kettlewell is still in the job come January he needs to get some width in the side. O'Donnell as much as he's a safe pair of the hands at the back he offers us nothing going forward. Can't cross, never beats the first man and doesn't have the pace to get to the byeline.

You reckon sod is a safe pair of hands at the back ?

Mcginn and Miller are big losses, but we bought a shit ton of strikers and no backup for elsewhere, which is dumb. Fair play to oli shaw today for giving us a glimpse of something.

Butcher may well be done, and he definitely is as a midfielder. He does make us more solid when defending set pieces though, which we sorely needed. He needs to be a bench option once we have everyone back.

I like Paton if we have 3 other midfielders, he can interact with. He's not very good at giving the ball to strikers.

As for the manager, I rarely get to the "sack him" stage, and I'm not there now, but I won't be on here complaining if he's not here on tuesday. I think we can turn our fortunes around with the current management team, because he still has the players fighting for each other, and there is no lack of effort.  However, I don't think SK offers anything special that we should be desperate to hold onto him.

Just now, bobbybingo said:

Kettlewell could easily be sacked based on recent results, so it's understandable some folk want him out. I'd be interested to hear their preferred options for his replacement.

That's a difficult question to answer. How much money is he earning? What bonuses are tied to his contract? Who's available that would accept those salary and bonus terms? What aims have been set by the board? 

We'd need more information to answer. Unless you're meaning for those who want him out to just throw a name out there? 

One thing I'm fairly certain of, considering who we've hired in the past, is that there will be candidates with more experience and know-how willing to take the job. Who they are? Again, the information above will dictate that.

Just back in, we were feckin brutal today, midfield too deep and all over the place, a great start and goal from Biereth then we sat back deep and made them look like Man City ffs the way we allowed  them to pass the ball about.

Kelly needs dropped, stood on his line doing feck all and watched a 5' midget beat him with a header, Obika is also hopeless nothing sticks to him no threat at all.

Us scoring 3 goals shows how bad Dundee were, they were there for the taking and we fecked it up, we never pressed high enough and made it easy for them.

That said we gained a point that never looked likely after we went down to 10 so it's not all bad but we really need a win badly as 4 points from 33 is relegation form.

There is absolutely no way Kettlewell will get sacked. Reason..we have no money whatsoever to pay him and his assistant off.  The we look at a wage for the new guy and his assistant and it wont be the same that Kettlewell is on. Then we need to offer the new guy something in the transfer window to change things around. We just don't have the cash. Christ we cant afford to put the underground heating on in the middle of winter.

6 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Kettlewell could easily be sacked based on recent results, so it's understandable some folk want him out. I'd be interested to hear their preferred options for his replacement.

Tam Courts would be a decent shout. 

Tony Docherty is doing a great job after stepping up from being McInnes's assistant so good managers are out there. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

That's a difficult question to answer. How much money is he earning? What bonuses are tied to his contract? Who's available that would accept those salary and bonus terms? What aims have been set by the board? 

We'd need more information to answer. Unless you're meaning for those who want him out to just throw a name out there? 

One thing I'm fairly certain of, considering who we've hired in the past, is that there will be candidates with more experience and know-how willing to take the job. Who they are? Again, the information above will dictate that.

It's not a difficult question at all. They won't actually get to pick the next guy, so they can remove all the possible obstacles and just name someone they want. If you want one guy out, you surely must have some opinion on his replacement.

8 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

Alright, let's just say he's better at defending than attacking and the safest pair we currently have.

Id say the opposite and he's no very good at attacking either. 

I take it Gent isn't trusted to defend at the moment and that's fair enough but he does give us something going forward 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Tam Courts would be a decent shout. 

Tony Docherty is doing a great job after stepping up from being McInnes's assistant so good managers are out there. 

tony docs only been in it 6 months, but a bet kettlewells first 6 months is as good as docs

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smiddy said:

not a chance in hell he come here,  of all the jobs heez been mentioned in he has only ever said he would be intrested in was rangurs     plus he thinks heez above small jobs hence his name  billt big bawz

Don't know so much. I've seen him at Fir Park more than once this season and he was at our cup tie in Paisley. Maybe he's just keeping in the loop as it were or perhaps thinks he's got unfinished business with us? Who knows. Either way he'd be my go to should it come to that.