Motherwell v St Johnstone 09/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Thought it was a solid if unspectacular first half today, but given our current predicament I was more than happy with it. St Johnstone never troubled us and Kelly had nothing to do. We didnt create any clear cut chances but we definitely threatened their box more than they did ours.

Second half turned on that absolute howler from Kelly. Terrible decision from a player whose confidence is clearly rock bottom. 

Unsurprisingly our heads went down for a period and we could have conceded a second before we steadied the ship.

The subs, somewhat surprisingly did make a difference and Bair's cross for the equaliser was excellent.

The players are clearly still behind the manager and that might just keep him in a job a while longer.

Hopefully he will realise that Gent, and Davor can be trusted and that the goalkeeping position needs looked at. 

We cant keep gifting teams goals and expect to win football matches.

The injuries and suspensions are a concern. We could really do with one or 2 more being available next week.

The holding pattern continues.......

PS A word for the ref today?

I like a guy who tries to let the game flow and keeps his cards in his pocket, but cheesey peeps!

The repetitive fouling and shirt pulling from some of their players was ridiculous!

Jayesimi in particular was one of the worst offenders! Hiw he wasnt carded Ive no idea!

Rant over.......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Thought it was a solid if unspectacular first half today, but given our current predicament I was more than happy with it. St Johnstone never troubled us and Kelly had nothing to do. We didnt create any clear cut chances but we definitely threatened their box more than they did ours.

Second half turned on that absolute howler from Kelly. Terrible decision from a player whose confidence is clearly rock bottom. 

Unsurprisingly our heads went down for a period and we could have conceded a second before we steadied the ship.

The subs, somewhat surprisingly did make a difference and Bair's cross for the equaliser was excellent.

The players are clearly still behind the manager and that might just keep him in a job a while longer.

Hopefully he will realise that Gent, and Davor can be trusted and that the goalkeeping position needs looked at. 

We cant keep gifting teams goals and expect to win football matches.

The injuries and suspensions are a concern. We could really do with one or 2 more being available next week.

The holding pattern continues.......

Pretty much how I saw it. I have to say that, poor as we are at the moment, I would find it hard watching St Johnstone on a weekly basis: a cynical and  musclebound team with zero crativity who look as if they are following the Desperate Dan training programme. They seem to  reflect Levein's "values" perfectly.

Gent an upgrade today and Davor unexpectedly combative for a tiny guy.

It would be sweet to start our revival in Paisley next week.

8 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

PS A word for the ref today?

I like a guy who tries to let the game flow and keeps his cards in his pocket, but cheesey peeps!

The repetitive fouling and shirt pulling from some of their players was ridiculous!

Jayesimi in particular was one of the worst offenders! Hiw he wasnt carded Ive no idea!

Rant over.......

what bout  phillips  ???????

Weird one today. I thought we played some decent football at times and seemed much more confident in defence than we have in previous weeks. Delighted that Gent and Davor had strong performances today, Gent should be one of the first names on the team sheet from now on and I’d expect to see Davor feature much more too.

The mistake from Kelly at the St Johnstone goal is amateur stuff, really poor and I don’t think Obika offered much - he can hold up the ball pretty well, but that’s it eh? Absolutely murder in front of goal.

The goal we score is sublime.

When I was leaving today, I heard someone say “they were gutted we scored” and I’ve seen a lot of that on social media and on this thread too. I can’t get my head round that way of thinking. It’s fucking bizarre.

when we punted Hammel and Alexander the players had totally downed tools, it seemed hopeless, but I don’t get that feeling with this team. They’re all up for it, I just don’t think the quality is there. There is obviously an argument that much of this team are Kettlewell signings, of course, so do we trust him with the transfer window? I really don’t know.

My gut tells me that sacking SK at this stage would be a mistake, but I do think we need to be having a major conversation about how our club is being run from the top.

Anyways, had wee Mika at 9/4 anytime goal scorer so I proper fucking enjoyed that one.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

We have the bones of a good squad. They're not rubbish as a few have suggested, but SK is not getting the best out of them. 

I'm repeating myself but he doesn't know his best team . Injuries and suspensions haven't helped. Hopefully Davor keeps his place, he showed more today than Paton has.

Gent was our best player first half. We need to work on moving the ball quicker and getting it out wide . Kelly takes an age and so does whoever is taking a throw in.

A settled side would do wonders. Get the ball out wide and into the box . If the players know a cross is coming then will be more confident and committed in getting forwards. 

Mika has great pace and works hard.

21 minutes ago, Tamwell said:

Weird one today. I thought we played some decent football at times and seemed much more confident in defence than we have in previous weeks. Delighted that Gent and Davor had strong performances today, Gent should be one of the first names on the team sheet from now on and I’d expect to see Davor feature much more too.

The mistake from Kelly at the St Johnstone goal is amateur stuff, really poor and I don’t think Obika offered much - he can hold up the ball pretty well, but that’s it eh? Absolutely murder in front of goal.

The goal we score is sublime.

When I was leaving today, I heard someone say “they were gutted we scored” and I’ve seen a lot of that on social media and on this thread too. I can’t get my head round that way of thinking. It’s fucking bizarre.

when we punted Hammel and Alexander the players had totally downed tools, it seemed hopeless, but I don’t get that feeling with this team. They’re all up for it, I just don’t think the quality is there. There is obviously an argument that much of this team are Kettlewell signings, of course, so do we trust him with the transfer window? I really don’t know.

My gut tells me that sacking SK at this stage would be a mistake, but I do think we need to be having a major conversation about how our club is being run from the top.

Anyways, had wee Mika at 9/4 anytime goal scorer so I proper fucking enjoyed that one.

Gent and Davor have to keep their places, Davor looks like a moaning wee Dick which is great, good to see someone who cares on the park, think SK needs backing at the window, we need a strong commanding CB and a proven forward, Oli Shaw and Pape can head home in January. Do we take a chance on Moult ??

10 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Gent and Davor have to keep their places, Davor looks like a moaning wee Dick which is great, good to see someone who cares on the park, think SK needs backing at the window, we need a strong commanding CB and a proven forward, Oli Shaw and Pape can head home in January. Do we take a chance on Moult ??

I thought Zdravkoski had a cut of Jamie Dolan about him, appearance wise, at least.

No way Dundee Utd are selling Moult in January.

27 minutes ago, Tamwell said:

What do you suggest?

A change of manager pdq. I like SK and he's articulate but our results speak for themselves. We're far from being down and out and there's plenty of time to change things but the current run is relegation form. There's little sign he can turn things around. 

4 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A change of manager pdq. I like SK and he's articulate but our results speak for themselves. We're far from being down and out and there's plenty of time to change things but the current run is relegation form. There's little sign he can turn things around. 

I just wonder if changing the manager again is the answer? I know I’m in the minority with this at this point though. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stevie73 said:

Certainly a fit Moult would be immense. I think that ship has sailed though, could we really take a chance on old chocolate knees? He’s probably on a fair wedge at united too.

Honestly, regardless of how good or bad the Ox is...... what is the point of paying real money on a back up keeper if he cant put pressure on the number 1??

Kelly has been poor for months. His position should be up for grabs. Why the other lad has not been given a chance is beyond me.

The other point is, he is out of contract in the summer. Why would he re-sign if he has spent a year & a half watching a diddy in front of him & not getting a chance?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevie73 said:

Scoring goals is not our problem. Even if it was, why would dundee utd sell moult to us? Literally give firepower to potential playoff oponents!