Interim CEO Derek Weir speaks to the fans

SteelmaninOZ

Have listened to the interview I thought he was very clear and answered the questions thoughtfully unlike politicians he actually answered the questions . 
There weren’t too many surprises in there no matter how hard some of my fellow supporters on here tried to tell us . 
If I’ve to single out one bit of criticism it would be they should have joined up the Chairman’s speech with this one . 
The gap of. few weeks has led to a lot of speculation that grew arms and legs and that could have been avoided .

If I am correct St Mirren have a fans society of such which runs parallel with Kibble and it seems to work 

More investment is the key here and it would be money we could rely on if times got tough but also let us gamble a bit more on better players knowing there’s a decent safety net if it goes a bit wrong . That for me would be a massive help .

Re the comms thing I’m on his side . 
Possibly a vanity project for Burrows albeit I think he thought it was the way to go . 
Im with Weir on that one the small pot of money we have could be better spent on the playing side than trying to win trophies at annual comms events . 

29 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

Possibly a vanity project for Burrows albeit I think he thought it was the way to go . 
Im with Weir on that one the small pot of money we have could be better spent on the playing side than trying to win trophies at annual comms events . 

Agreed. It was pretty obvious that the media people were using it as a stepping stone to bigger jobs and building up a portfolio CV at the club's expense. There's no way we needed that level of video production. 

I haven't watched the interview but by the sounds of it he didn't mention the women's team this time. I still think we need a break down of spending on that and whether or not there is any possibility of it operating at break even in the medium term. If there's not then a discussion needs to be had.

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I haven't watched the interview but by the sounds of it he didn't mention the women's team this time. I still think we need a break down of spending on that and whether or not there is any possibility of it operating at break even in the medium term. If there's not then a discussion needs to be had.

The women's team was never mentioned,  but if the club thinks that it needs a women's team and all the coaching and support structure that goes with it then fair enough, but it needs to be self funding. If the cost of the women's team, ive heard if true 250k annually mentioned is taken from the current club funds then that places a very significant curb on the playing budget for 1st team and academy.

For me the women's team is an indulgence we can't afford, the standard is btutal and the money spent on it annually could be better spent improving the 1st and academy teams.

4 hours ago, wellfan said:

Two points:

The current trajectory of 1 win in 16 games does not suggest to me that we will finish in a Euro qualification spot. That's my opinion but it's based on the evidence before me. 

If you actually read and understood what I wrote in my post you would see that I acknowledged (based on what Weir said) that we cannot afford to empty another management team mid-contract. This means they'll be here until the end of the season regardless of performance. However, if we remain crap, the Club doesn't have to, nor should it renew their contracts when they expire at the end of the season. 

Sure, point taken, depends on how you define " current trajectory" tho...anyways onwards and upwards 

3 hours ago, Yodo said:

Only club I know that rewards failure 

I don't think anyone else would describe Hunter, Cooper, O'Donnell or McLean as failures. Although, if no wins in 16 games had been considered a sacking offence, wee Tommy definitely wouldn't have been as successful.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

The women's team was never mentioned,  but if the club thinks that it needs a women's team and all the coaching and support structure that goes with it then fair enough, but it needs to be self funding. If the cost of the women's team, ive heard if true 250k annually mentioned is taken from the current club funds then that places a very significant curb on the playing budget for 1st team and academy.

For me the women's team is an indulgence we can't afford, the standard is btutal and the money spent on it annually could be better spent improving the 1st and academy teams.

I agree. I have no doubt we would be criticised for withdrawing but the easy solution to that is to ask them to put their hands in their own pockets if it's so important.

51 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I don't think anyone else would describe Hunter, Cooper, O'Donnell or McLean as failures. Although, if no wins in 16 games had been considered a sacking offence, wee Tommy definitely wouldn't have been as successful.

I never said the people who u have mentioned were failures 

On the communications side, I think it was a very good strategy. It's a relatively cheap thing that you can do to build your club's profile, build the profile of the players and therefore build the profile of the club, making it more attractive to sponsors and potential signings. You can debate the merits of that however much you like, but there's a reason businesses measure mentions and sentiment. 

And even if the club aren't going down that route right now, there would be a lot of value in just having an experienced head in there moving forwards so they can be proactive rather than reactive as this video clearly was. But at least this was slightly reassuring progress. 

I was surprised he didn't mention the recent attempts to improve fan participation.

The appointment of the fan  liason officers and the Well Society asking fans for ideas on how to improve things within the club was worth a mention.

To me that indicates that the club recognised the issues and are at least trying to improve things.

6 hours ago, Mintymac said:

Have listened to the interview I thought he was very clear and answered the questions thoughtfully unlike politicians he actually answered the questions . 
There weren’t too many surprises in there no matter how hard some of my fellow supporters on here tried to tell us . 
If I’ve to single out one bit of criticism it would be they should have joined up the Chairman’s speech with this one . 
The gap of. few weeks has led to a lot of speculation that grew arms and legs and that could have been avoided .

If I am correct St Mirren have a fans society of such which runs parallel with Kibble and it seems to work 

More investment is the key here and it would be money we could rely on if times got tough but also let us gamble a bit more on better players knowing there’s a decent safety net if it goes a bit wrong . That for me would be a massive help .

The BBCs resume of the video states Weir confirmed 

"But Weir admitted a significant part of recent transfer income, including the £3.25m fee for David Turnbull, had been spent". 

Did I miss something in that video I'm sure I never heard Weir make such a Statement.

5 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

ahhh spider    but remember its P/C to have one,  and follow on the same as the others, i think if 1 club has the balls to say ,, we are sorry but we are disbanding our ladies team due to lack of finance,,,,   more would follow,  but who has the balls to do it first ?

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Ok. Leaving the naming of stands aside,  who were you saying has been rewarded for failure?

not my argument but yodo has a point if he means the shite we have signed who have been shite but got new contracts, ie  mcginley, etc  ( ps not getting involved just my tuppence worth )

• Like 1

if every well paid a pound a week       every week   so say thats 4000 fans = 4k a week    = 16 a month  =  well do the maths   the money would just accumulate over time giving us a reserve,  silly wee easy solution just need the doner, i for one wouldnt miss a pound a week,,,,,,so lets go guys, just send yir pounds to

smiddy@5starhotel,mauldeves,com                yous can thank me later;)

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, smiddy said:

not my argument but yodo has a point if he means the shite we have signed who have been shite but got new contracts, ie  mcginley, etc  ( ps not getting involved just my tuppence worth )

Fair point, but if giving new contracts to shite players is what he meant by rewarding failure, we are absolutely not the only club who do that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Fair point, but if giving new contracts to shite players is what he meant by rewarding failure, we are absolutely not the only club who do that.

as i said BB not my argument but yes all clubs do it but i sometimes think we are leaders in it, for a few years we were giving out deals to injured players which in some cases is fair enough but we were guilty of doing it regularly oh and you can add barry mcguire to that last list :)    come on yodo answer the man

• Like 1

Was interesting that in the interview DW talked about our player recruitment success stats, and how comparable they are to other clubs.

We are always going to be more critical of our own recruitment, because we remember all our shite players, but only ever remember the good players from other teams. It's the same as when old firm fans go on about so and so being a good wee player, because they played well in a backs to the wall draw five years ago.

Jump on any other fans forum and you'll find all clubs have a bunch of shite signings every year. When the clubs throwing around tens of millions don't have a great strike rate, it's hard to expect the ones fishing down the back of the couch for pennies to do much better.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

The BBCs resume of the video states Weir confirmed 

"But Weir admitted a significant part of recent transfer income, including the £3.25m fee for David Turnbull, had been spent". 

Did I miss something in that video I'm sure I never heard Weir make such a Statement.

He didn’t say anything about DT

Finally got round to watching the full interview. A few thoughts.....

Firstly, quite refreshing to hear many of the points raised on here being addressed. Clearly someone within the club keeps abreast of things, so the individuals in charge are aware of the feelings within the support.

Many of the answers given were quite re-assuring and I certainly left feeling more confident that the club isnt the "rudderless ship"  "run by amateurs" that some on here have claimed.

What is clear though is that, going forward, we do need the permanent CEO in place and a new governence structure agreed which reflects the ownership/investment in the club.

For me, if the Well Society owns 70% of the club, it should have 70% representation on the board. If we have to give some of that away to encourage investment (anything up to 19% would be acceptable to me) then that should be reflected in the representation.

Finally, I agree with the general point around the Media team. However, if the cuts hadnt been quite so stringent, maybe levels of communication with the fanbase could have been maintained (albeit in a different format) and the need for a 48 minute interview wouldnt have been necessary.

One thing i took away from the whole interview i like the fact that clearly they know we need to get fresh faces an outsider in at Motherwell to bring new ideas to the club.For a long long while i have felt we are just plodding along just happy to tick over and i hope when we do get these new faces then we progress move forward with the right people in change nothing stopping us from being regular Top 6.

I still think we do need to chnage our recruitment network we are getting far less return on out money than ever before on players now that can come at a whole host of things but when you look at Robinsons/Foyle incoming to the last load of managers its really not good enough if we stick with Kettlewell which i think we will no matter what happens then we need to change it maybe to suit how he works and get folk in he knows works well with.

• Like 1