Interim CEO Derek Weir speaks to the fans

SteelmaninOZ

Also, the mention of Taylor Swift was a great touch. She's been all over the media at the moment, both because of her new love interest in the NFL and Jo Koy making a joke about her at the Golden Globes.

Even a minuscule percentage of the current Taylor Swift internet traffic mentioning some mid-level "soccer" club from Scotland having a wee boy make a funny remark about her in a video ad will be more interest than we normally see on any other videos we put out there. 

I just hope the media team have tagged Swift in the video keywords on YouTube. I imagine they will have.

I don't understand what it's meant to achieve.

Comes acrose as a bit bit self-indulgent and an in-joke rather than a viable investment proposal.

For target audiences:

Well Society Members/Fans - are already contributing.

Outsiders - Presumably aren't going to take it as a serious proposition.

When there was talk of an 'Investment initiative', I thought there was some sort of feasible commercial/financing agreement in the pipeline.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richie said:

I don't understand what it's meant to achieve.

It's supposed to achieve exactly what we're doing here right now. Discussion and attention. 

3 minutes ago, Richie said:

When there was talk of an 'Investment initiative', I thought there was some sort of feasible commercial/financing agreement in the pipeline.

I'm sure the club are still going down that route. It's not an either/or situation.

16 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Not sure how much more Money comes with limited success but we should probably refer to other source as philanthropist until we actually have their money ! 

Cup runs, transfer fees, top six, league prize money and Europe all put extra cash into the club. 

They are also far more realistic than increasing the support by a significant amount or finding sponsors or investors. 

Just now, steelboy said:

They are also far more realistic than increasing the support by a significant amount or finding sponsors or investors. 

Again, it's not an either/or situation. I'd hope we're coming at the issue from a number of different angles.

• Like 1

I think if we are all being honest the vast majority of us look at the Wrexham situation with envious eyes. Wrexham is a similar size town, similar size club similar down on its luck town, mining, steel etc etc

they have two owners who I do think have genuinely fell in love with the football and town. If there’s a remote chance of something similar happening to us, you’d be an idiot to say no. 

but I do think this video is pretty much tongue in cheek and is just trying to attract anyone to invest or more Motherwell fans to join the well society.

I very much doubt that Will Smith will be clambering to get a flight to Glasgow any time soon. Our luck we will get Joey Barton wanting to invest. 

4 minutes ago, David said:

Again, it's not an either/or situation. I'd hope we're coming at the issue from a number of different angles.

The on field targets are all things we have done in the past 10 years. They are feasible.

Expanding the support and finding an investor are pipe dreams. Even when Les came on board it didn't amount to anything and letting him chose Barraclough took us as close to relegation as we have been in 40 years other than when Boyle put us into admin. There's a pattern there....

I hate to think how many senior figures from the club and well society reviewed that video before its release. Utterly pathetic. 

Putting the cringe and desperation aside though, is this campaign genuinely aligned to the investment initiative that’s been in the pipeline for the last couple of years? 

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Expanding the support and finding an investor are pipe dreams.

So, the club should just not bother looking to expand the support or attract outside investment? Just say "fuck it, it'll never happen, so who cares?"

Honestly, if they did that? I'd consider it negligent. 

SOD's best performance of the season!!! Lol.

I know a lot of it is meant to be tongue in cheek but I did find it quite cringeworthy.  I don't think Taylor Swift will know what "gonnae gies some dosh" will mean.

But hey ho nothing ventured.  I just hope we didn't pay a lot of money for that too be produced

8 minutes ago, mio said:

I think if we are all being honest the vast majority of us look at the Wrexham situation with envious eyes. Wrexham is a similar size town, similar size club similar down on its luck town, mining, steel etc etc

they have two owners who I do think have genuinely fell in love with the football and town. If there’s a remote chance of something similar happening to us, you’d be an idiot to say no. 

but I do think this video is pretty much tongue in cheek and is just trying to attract anyone to invest or more Motherwell fans to join the well society.

I very much doubt that Will Smith will be clambering to get a flight to Glasgow any time soon. Our luck we will get Joey Barton wanting to invest. 

The problem we run into, as the Wrexham investors said themselves, is that the ceiling you face with Scottish football makes putting money into any club up here a lot less worth it. Add into that in our particular circumstance, that you wouldn't even own the club after whacking in cash, makes it seriously un appealing. The club need to make their mind up, do they want a sugar daddy or do they want to be fan owned? Because I cant see a way of having both. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, David said:

So, the club should just not bother looking to expand the support or attract outside investment? Just say "fuck it, it'll never happen, so who cares?"

Honestly, if they did that? I'd consider it negligent. 

On that side of things it is quite amazing what the right kind of marketing can do. If you look a the growth of Wrexhams fan base it shows you it can be done, albeit its taken for a couple of A listers and a disney doc to do it. You can be sure Wrexham fans before teh take over thought the same way we do in terms of fan base and club size but whats happened to them proves that there are fans out there that can be marketed to, you just need the right way of connecting with them. 

3 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

On that side of things it is quite amazing what the right kind of marketing can do. If you look a the growth of Wrexhams fan base it shows you it can be done, albeit its taken for a couple of A listers and a disney doc to do it. You can be sure Wrexham fans before teh take over thought the same way we do in terms of fan base and club size but whats happened to them proves that there are fans out there that can be marketed to, you just need the right way of connecting with them. 

The Wrexham analogy is not a viable comparison, in England the path is there for clubs to aim for the holy grail and riches of the premiership. The sponsorship and TV money on offer down there is light years better than the pittance Scottish clubs Currently get, so taking a club like Wrexham to the premiership or even the championship is a very attractive prospect for anyone throwing  money at them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

The Wrexham analogy is not a viable comparison, in England the path is there for clubs to aim for the holy grail and riches of the premiership. The sponsorship and TV money on offer down there is light years better than the pittance Scottish clubs Currently get, so taking a club like Wrexham to the premiership or even the championship is a very attractive prospect for anyone throwing  money at them.

I mean thats basically exactly what I said in the post above the one you replied to. But my point is that there are new fans out there that can be marketed to. The question is the only of reaching out to them via A list celebs? or is there a way of reaching them that hasnt been tapped into yet? Rather than trying to win the lottery like Wrexham we should be looking to find a way of replicating the outcome they have had in the rise of their fan base without having to follow the same route. We suffer the same problem they had in that we have more fans of the old firm clubs and of clubs from down south around us than we do Motherwell fans, can we convert them the same way Wrexham has? Can we find a way to appeal to those that currently dont have an interest in football at all? 

I think it’s pretty clear we are not a good investment. As I mentioned earlier, I believe, we are really looking for someone or a group, to support the club financially to the extent that we don’t have to worry about going out of existence and have financial backing to see us through any hard times. 

Just now, texanwellfan said:

I think it’s pretty clear we are not a good investment. As I mentioned earlier, I believe, we are really looking for someone or a group, to support the club financially to the extent that we don’t have to worry about going out of existence and have financial backing to see us through any hard times. 

the problem with that though is, other than someone thats already a fan of the club, who in their right mind is going to plough their money into a club that they dont even own when they can just go buy up a club, own it, and do the same thing? 

• Thanks 1

That video is spectacular. It's so incredibly shit and I think that's the point. We're all talking about it, and it's already doing the rounds all over the internet (437,000 views and counting on Twitter). Those attacking it have either completely missed the point or allowed their arrogance to get in the way. Many more people know about Motherwell now. Job done. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yoshi-1991 said:

the problem with that though is, other than someone thats already a fan of the club, who in their right mind is going to plough their money into a club that they dont even own when they can just go buy up a club, own it, and do the same thing? 

So perhaps we have to move away from or adjust fan base ownership. I don’t think we can assure our survival with fans owning 70% of the club

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Not arguing with anyone’s opinion but it does raise the question, well maybe a couple of questions 

1. How will possible investors see this? Hoping for dumb luck or is there some targeted distribution method?

2. What would be a better way to try and attract investors/philsathropists? Should we approach larger well known clubs abroad or in England to be a part of their organization? Not even sure if rules allow that  

3. Do we care if investors would be British, American, European or any other nationality?

or we could just look for an under the radar texan oil multi billionaire ????????? texiboy what u up to $$$$$$$$$$

• Haha 1