Interim CEO Derek Weir speaks to the fans

SteelmaninOZ

The existing business model is broadly accepted to be flawed as its dependant on cup runs and selling players.   The club are working hard to find alternative funding channels, meanwhile running the club with a level of due diligence to ensure we don't over spend. 

Given there's no single multi million investor willing to let the club drain their riches I think fair play to the club for looking for alternatives.   I'm not a fan of the video but I'm supportive of us trying new things, some will work, some won't.  

Full marks to the club for trying to move us forward.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I'm not watching these 30 minutes interviews but does McMahon say that we had an offer to buy the club? Should the Well Society members not be hearing about this and laying out some ground rules about how this kind of approach is dealt with?

As far as the video goes I don't like it but I'm willing to accept that we're overwhelmingly a bunch of miserable bastards and it isn't aimed at us. 

There was an offer a few years back and there's some interest now. 

The board are keen for the Well Society to keep their rights. Happy to explore a shared joint model and if an out and out offer came through to own it would be put to the society. 

All quite sensible stuff really. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Theres a bit of sense in most of your posts MJC, much more than many give you credit for, but you're wide of the mark with this statememt. Our club is not in financial trouble (the annual accounts tell us that) and we're not basket cases like the 2 Dundee clubs. We have cash in the bank with some back up available, if and when needed, through the Society.  Irrespective of what we think of the video, this campaign is to raise fresh funds to help us compete with the likes of Killie, Ross County, St Johnstone and St Mirren, which we're currently struggling to do.  

We're in no danger of going into administration any time soon.

I don’t know, as the saying goes “actions speak louder than words” so while the accounts on paper may look okay, the amateurish way the club is run alongside this plea for cash investment (and make no mistake, that’s what this production is) would suggest otherwise. We have been without a permanent CEO for almost a year, the club has no vision or direction and our support is fucking shite bar from a small faithful core of regulars. I think if we are relegated, be it this season or next then we are almost certainly looking at part time football and administration would also be a distinct possibility. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJC said:

I don’t know, as the saying goes “actions speak louder than words” so while the accounts on paper may look okay, the amateurish way the club is run alongside this plea for cash investment (and make no mistake, that’s what this production is) would suggest otherwise. We have been without a permanent CEO for almost a year, the club has no vision or direction and our support is fucking shite bar from a small faithful core of regulars. I think if we are relegated, be it this season or next then we are almost certainly looking at part time football and administration would also be a distinct possibility. 

Don’t hold back MJC get into them:rtfm:

26 minutes ago, MJC said:

Can you provide any evidence of the club being run in an amateurish way, other than just your opinion?

It seems to have become a trope on here and has been accepted as fact.

Ive never run my own business. But Jim McMahon and Derek Weir both have and been relatively successful.

McMahon has also been on the board and been chairman during what most would describe as being a fairly successful period with high league finishes, cup finals and European qualifications. We have also broke even during that period which is no mean feat.

I get that we are in a period of transition and uncertainty spooks people, and of course we would all prefer to have a permanent CEO and Chairman in place so we can get some stability going forward. But to suggest that we are utterly rudderless when we have someone with pretty decent business acumen in place doing the job on an interim basis doesnt bare scrutiny.

People complained about communication, and we got it. People complained about the lack of a strategy and it was explained.

I do wonder at what point these guys throw in the towel as they cant seem to win.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Can I provide any evidence of the club being run in an amateurish fashion? Yes, I most certainly can. The video that we’re talking about on our official media platforms begging Taylor Swift for money for starters. You want evidence of our professional top flight football club being run in an amateur fashion then there’s Exhibit A right there.

Then there’s the failure to appoint a replacement for Burrows who left eleven months ago. 

Our transfer and scouting system is diabolical and yet our club who are forever pleading poverty have people in post who are happy to squander whatever meagre resources we have on the dross we signed last summer. 

That enough for now or would you like me to go on?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MJC said:

Can I provide any evidence of the club being run in an amateurish fashion? Yes, I most certainly can. The video that we’re talking about on our official media platforms begging Taylor Swift for money for starters. You want evidence of our professional top flight football club being run in an amateur fashion then there’s Exhibit A right there.

Then there’s the failure to appoint a replacement for Burrows who left eleven months ago. 

Our transfer and scouting system is diabolical and yet our club who are forever pleading poverty have people in post who are happy to squander whatever meagre resources we have on the dross we signed last summer. 

They're not actually begging Taylor Swift for money, as you well know.

But do go on. 

32 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

They're not actually begging Taylor Swift for money, as you well know.

But do go on. 

So if  Taylor Swift had saw the video and thought Great idea I'll contact the club and transfer a few million, the board would have said no thanks that's not what we meant Taylor, we were just having a laugh. Aye OK then if geez yer dosh, tongue in cheek or not is not begging for cash what is.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

So if  Taylor Swift had saw the video and thought Great idea I'll contact the club and transfer a few million, the board would have said no thanks that's not what we meant Taylor, we were just having a laugh. Aye OK then if geez yer dosh, tongue in cheek or not is not begging for cash what is.

In what reality does Taylor Swift phone Motherwell FC up and offer them a few million quid because a wee laddie said 'geez yer dosh'?

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Does this negativity permeate through your daily life or is it just all things Motherwell that brings you down?

The club is clearly reasonably well run, the team less so this season but hopefully things are looking a little brighter.

The video was produced by a top agency, not just thrown together, not everyone likes it but it seems to have caused a positive stir so maybe some people know more about these things than us.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

In what reality does Taylor Swift phone Motherwell FC up and offer them a few million quid because a wee laddie said 'geez yer dosh'?

Ok her PA will call and set up the deal, but was that not the videos intended purpose to raise cash, for me it was an embarrassment but time will tell if it pays off so all we can do is wait and see how it plays out.

4 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Ok her PA will call and set up the deal, but was that not the videos intended purpose to raise cash, for me it was an embarrassment but time will tell if it pays off so all we can do is wait and see how it plays out.

Yeah, I imagine the video's purpose, ultimately, was to encourage someone, somewhere to consider investing in Motherwell FC. They could've tried the approach of listing our league and cup triumphs, or showcasing our European glories over stirring music, but anyone checking the club out would take 5 minutes to discover the reality of things.

Nobody in the video suggested the club was going to the wall unless folk send them donations today, so I don't personally get the begging/embarrassment thing. If there is a club in Scotland not interested in finding investors, sponsors etc I'd love to know which one. And if they're sitting on their hands waiting for it to miraculously drop into their bank account, god help them.

6 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

There was an offer a few years back and there's some interest now. 

The board are keen for the Well Society to keep their rights. Happy to explore a shared joint model and if an out and out offer came through to own it would be put to the society. 

All quite sensible stuff really. 

If this is actually possible the Society board should be getting ahead of it and not waiting for the club board to set any terms and any negotiations with interested parties should be directly with the Society.

The club has been dishonest with the Society in the past and that was probably down to Boyle and Dempster but Weir, McMahon and Dickie were all in the room when Dempster was lying through her teeth and none of them piped up so I don't think they can be relied upon to represent the society members even although they obviously do a good job for the club. 

7 minutes ago, wellfan said:

The chat around the video is ridiculous. Some folk can't see past their own ego. 

Why is it ridiculous it was an official club press / media release, which stimulated a healthy debate, some loved it probably more hated it but if everyone agreed life would be boring, so I fail to see what people's ego has to do with it.

There are no transfer rumours to discuss so the video was a welcome distraction and worthy of comment and debate.

3 hours ago, MJC said:

The video was not an example of the club being run in an amateurish fashion. It was part one of a fund-raising strategy, it has created debate and has generated interest in the club. Ten offers of investment within the first few days seems like a good return to me. The timing is also great as there are no games at the moment and it takes the spotlight off the transfer window too.

The 'failure' of the club to appoint a CEO came about due to exceptional circumstances - none of the four shortlisted candidates took up the role for a variety of reasons. McMahon stated that he had never experienced this in his professional life.

I almost agree with you about the recruitment side of things as there is a lack of clarity - is it all on Nick Dawes? How much input does SK have.

Ultimately, the club employed a professional agency to make the video, professional people within the club interviewed professional candidates for the CEO role and our recruitment is in the hands of a professional person. No amateurs were involved as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

Watched the latest video this morning. Iv got to say i was doubtful when i saw the add but i would encourage all the doubters to watch what the chairman is saying.

2.5 million views, more well society sign ups in the last few days & 10 noted expressions of interest in investing in the club. Couple that with reports of our wee 'tin pot' video making the media in the USA & Australia then it seems like we are doing something right.

• Thanks 1

I have definitely chilled out to a degree after watching McMahon's interview. Some of my initial criticisms were based on assumptions, i.e. "is that it?", but this looks to be one part of a wider strategy, and we're just going to have to wait and see how that part pans out.

5 hours ago, MJC said:

I think Bobby Bingo has pretty much covered what my response would have been so no point repeating it.

I think its fair enough for fans to have had concerns this season about the direction of the club and what the future was going to look like.

Budgets were cut, player recruitment was underwhelming, we had a terrible run of results all in a climate of pretty much silence from the board.

However, they have clearly been stung by that and come out fighting.

For me if the content of the 2 interviews by Derek Weir and Jim McMahon had been drip fed to the support throughout the season, as we had become used to under Alan Burrows stewardship, then I dont think there would have been anywhere near as much unrest.

Having listened carefully to both interviews, it seems to me much of what has occurred this season has been entirely understandable. Just not communicated to us. The decision to cut the media/comms budget quite so drastically might ve something they would wish to review in the future. Its such a big part of modern day sports.

The fact that the Chairman and CEO have gone to such lengths to try and right that wrong and people are still doubling down on their original position does mystify me though. Im not sure what kind of action it would take to make people happy.

7 hours ago, MJC said:

You don't half haver man, that's not evidence , just your opinion and we have seen your score/ result predictions, so you don't have a great track record but you don't get embarrassed easily, I'll give you that

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Why is it ridiculous it was an official club press / media release, which stimulated a healthy debate, some loved it probably more hated it but if everyone agreed life would be boring, so I fail to see what people's ego has to do with it.

There are no transfer rumours to discuss so the video was a welcome distraction and worthy of comment and debate.

Well said pal