St Johnstone v Motherwell 27/01/2024

SteelmaninOZ

27 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Except we failed to understand that Biereth could've been offski after 6 months if he did well, which has left us relying on a player who was originally signed to be our 3rd or 4th choice striker. We've no other options because, Biereth aside, our striker recruitment has been far from good enough. So, if we want to naively rely on quality loanees, then we need a Biereth lined up every window. We can't allow ourselves to be blindsided at the same time as we’re trying to develop projects and nurse crocks. It's hopeless. 

Our management team cant win. They get a player in of Biereths quality and they should have a conveyor belt of similar quality lined up. They sign players of lesser quality and they either arent good enough or injury prone and shouldnt have been signed in the first place. 

Is it possible that what you suggest our management team should ve doing, just isnt possible with our budget?

17 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Our management team cant win with you. They get a player in of Biereths quality and they should have a conveyor belt of similar quality lined up. They sign players of lesser quality and they either arent good enough or injury prone and shouldnt have been signed in the first place. 

Is it possible that what you suggest our management team should ve doing, just isnt possible with our budget?

As I've previously posted, I think it's fairly reasonable to suggest that, as a start, it's definitely possible to avoid signing players with a known injury record or poor goalscoring record. It doesn't have to be them or a Biereth. Such an argument is defeatist. 

11 minutes ago, wellfan said:

As I've previously posted, I think it's fairly reasonable to suggest that, as a start, it's definitely possible to avoid signing players with a known injury record or poor goalscoring record. It doesn't have to be them or a Biereth. Such an argument is defeatist. 

Biereth had a poor goalscoring record. He also had a known injury record.

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

Filter:

- Track record of scoring goals

- No previous injuries

- Tries hard

- We can afford

- Wants to play for motherwell

- Motherwell fans know

- Motherwell fans like

Results:

Ha ha ha

Very good fizoxy. Looks like grizzlyg will be thinking your about to take over his top spot as SOL comedian 😂

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Biereth had a poor goalscoring record. He also had a known injury record.

At the time of them both signing, Biereth came from Arsenal and Obika did not. I see your point, but let's not compare apples with oranges. Signing a promising young player with an injury history on loan from an Arsenal or a Celtic is not the same as signing an older player with an injury history on a permanent deal. 

Back to the thread topic, I’m heading to Perth today, so let's hope Bair proves me wrong. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Will the weather affect the game?

The weather looks fine in Perth. Storm Isha and Jocelyn have passed. It's a bit gusty and drizzly, but that's due to peak by noon and then calm down into the afternoon, according to my weather app.   

33 minutes ago, wellfan said:

At the time of them both signing, Biereth came from Arsenal and Obika did not. I see your point, but let's not compare apples with oranges. Signing a promising young player with an injury history on loan from an Arsenal or a Celtic is not the same as signing an older player with an injury history on a permanent deal. 

Back to the thread topic, I’m heading to Perth today, so let's hope Bair proves me wrong. 

No, I totally agree, signing older players who are constantly picking up injuries is pointless. Montgomery had some injury problems last season but you're hoping the younger guys will get over them. Our luck's just seems to be out in every direction this season, which could really cost us.

I hope he wants to prove us all wrong, starting with his former employers.

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

The weather looks fine in Perth. Storm Isha and Jocelyn have passed. It's a bit gusty and drizzly, but that's due to peak by noon and then calm down into the afternoon, according to my weather app.   

Cheers mate 

13 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Our management team cant win. They get a player in of Biereths quality and they should have a conveyor belt of similar quality lined up. They sign players of lesser quality and they either arent good enough or injury prone and shouldnt have been signed in the first place. 

Completely agree with you. No matter what Kettlewell does it never seems to be good enough - Im talking in general terms here - all over social media. His hands are surely tied by the budget he has available to him 

• Like 1

Colin Steven the ref today. I know we were well beaten earlier in the season but his performance that day ranked just under Stevie O'Reilly. I can see it being a stop start game with a single goal winning it, hopefully we aren't feeling generous up our end. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I think what need to do is realise season long loans are not a viable option when players can be called back on the whim of their parent club.

In future we should only have 6 month loans with contingency plans for the second half of the season, whether that is a re-negotiation or bringing someone else in/promoting a youth player or whatever.

But it's obvious ourselves and other clubs in Scotland had deals that were not met and have not expected to lose players when they did.