St Johnstone v Motherwell 27/01/2024

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

As it stands, we’re going into our first league game after the winter break with one recognised striker. That is a huge concern. 

Kettlewell is mismanaging us on a rarely seen level but he still seems to have a decent chunk of the support onside because they like watching really long videos. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

As it stands, we’re going into our first league game after the winter break with one recognised striker. That is a huge concern. 

While SK and the team relax in their cigar smoke filled board room, drinking cocktails and cackling manically as their master plan comes to fruition.

Of course, they might be working on finalising deals for a couple more strikers, but that makes for a pretty boring social media narrative.

23 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Kettlewell is mismanaging us on a rarely seen level but he still seems to have a decent chunk of the support onside because they like watching really long videos. 

Rarely seen? I'm pretty sure you have posted the exact same complaint about McGhee, McCall, Baraclough, Robinson, Alexander and Hammell (to name just a few).

You must be raging that you can't blame this on 'Flow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Rarely seen? I'm pretty sure you have posted the exact same complaint about McGhee, McCall, Baraclough, Robinson, Alexander and Hammell (to name just a few).

You must be raging that you can't blame this on 'Flow.

At least we always had some forwards back then and all of those managers brought in decent players. 

Burrows spending decisions are still a drag on the club. 

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

At least we always had some forwards back then and all of those managers brought in decent players. 

Burrows spending decisions are still a drag on the club. 

I'm going to agree with you that I think Burrows needs to take some responsibility for the state Motherwell are in just now. 

I personally think as a club we've shot ourselves in the foot too many times by getting rid of managers that were doing an ok job. I don't think we should have sacked Gannon and I also think Alexander got hounded out (and that's a huge reason as to why I don't want to see Kettlewell go through the same thing). 

9 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I'm going to agree with you that I think Burrows needs to take some responsibility for the state Motherwell are in just now. 

I personally think as a club we've shot ourselves in the foot too many times by getting rid of managers that were doing an ok job. I don't think we should have sacked Gannon and I also think Alexander got hounded out (and that's a huge reason as to why I don't want to see Kettlewell go through the same thing). 

Gannon was sacked for more than just results on the park,he was a total headcase behind the scenes,I don't think there was many folk that he hadn't fell out with at the end up,the club had no choice but to get rid of him.i know theres been a lot of talk about our standard of signings lately,how we could do with a jennings or humphries right now from that era.

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

Gannon was sacked for more than just results on the park,he was a total headcase behind the scenes,I don't think there was many folk that he hadn't fell out with at the end up,the club had no choice but to get rid of him.i know theres been a lot of talk about our standard of signings lately,how we could do with a jennings or humphries right now from that era.

I do know that Gannon was a bit of a hothead. 

Re: Gannon, it never ceases to amaze me that he still has Motherwell fans talking him up and saying they wish he had stuck around. Even now that we’re now what? fourteen years on from his departure after his SIX month spell in charge?!

It was fairly obvious from around late October/early November of his tenure that he was working his ticket and didn’t want to be here and he’s done nothing in his career since to suggest that he would have worked wonders for us. And that’s before you take into account what several of the players who worked under him here said about him in the aftermath of his departure. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wellgirl said:

The phrase " lost the dressing room" is used way too much but in Gannon's case , it was so true ..if you were at his last game v st Johnstone,you'll know what I mean 

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Re: Gannon, it never ceases to amaze me that he still has Motherwell fans talking him up and saying they wish he had stuck around. Even now that we’re now what? fourteen years on from his departure after his SIX month spell in charge?!

It was fairly obvious from around late October/early November of his tenure that he was working his ticket and didn’t want to be here and he’s done nothing in his career since to suggest that he would have worked wonders for us. And that’s before you take into account what several of the players who worked under him here said about him in the aftermath of his departure. 

I'm not sure I was talking him up. My point was that I think that we've been too hasty in letting managers go. Thats managers plural. Not just Gannon. However. Given that it's a forum where people can express their opinions surely I can express mine? 

My point was more about Alexander and Kettlewell than it was about Gannon. I could have mentioned Baraclough as well although I believe he left by mutual consent as did Alexander and Robinson. Hammell too. My point was more that I believe Alexander was hounded out and I don't want to see that happen to Kettlewell. 

I've mentioned Gannon once btw ... Some people have been calling for Kettlewells head on a weekly basis 

6 hours ago, steelboy said:

He has managed to get rid of a fair number of the players you thought were shite.....

2 hours ago, wellgirl said:

Those decisions are not on Burrows alone though.

They require majority board support.

12 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I'm not sure I was talking him up. My point was that I think that we've been too hasty in letting managers go. Thats managers plural. Not just Gannon. However. Given that it's a forum where people can express their opinions surely I can express mine? 

My point was more about Alexander and Kettlewell than it was about Gannon. I could have mentioned Baraclough as well although I believe he left by mutual consent as did Alexander and Robinson. Hammell too. My point was more that I believe Alexander was hounded out and I don't want to see that happen to Kettlewell. 

I've mentioned Gannon once btw ... Some people have been calling for Kettlewells head on a weekly basis 

Of course you can express your opinion and I wouldn’t want you or anyone to think that I was suggesting that you shouldn’t. 

My point about Jim Gannon was that he seemed/seems to be a bit of an extreme example with some of our fans and that I find that baffling. He was here for six months, started off well and it seemed like an exciting and different type of appointment initially. But in reality that’s all it was. By the start of November ‘09 and up until his departure, his ‘feuds’ with the media/the SFA/referees and his general demeanour and comments about “juggling soot” suggested that he just didn’t have any enthusiasm for the job anymore and it was no surprise when he left. Then of course it started to come out from the club and senior players that he was applying for other jobs and was pretty much a nightmare to work with. 

I don’t think that the situations with Alexander or Kettlewell are in any way similar to that of Gannon.

Gannon was an absolute loon ball.

He came in and mixed things up a bit and threw a load of talented young boys in and gave them confidence to go and play.

He also brought in some very good players.

However, he had a much bigger budget than most Motherwell managers since and he alienated the entire senior playing staff to the extent that when the young boys started to falter (as they were always likely to do) he had nowhere to turn.

Add in his other rumoured negative personality traits and he was never going to last.

The European games were great fun though.

5 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Jim Gannon had no intention of staying and constantly stalled on contract talks. Apart from all the off field nonsense he wanted out. Let's put that to bed once and for all. 

I didn't actually think mentioning his name would provoke any kind of reaction. I've already said that I was making more of a point than that 

Just now, grizzlyg said:

Good lass, wasn't having a go. I am just more concerned about our current situation 

I am too. Don't think that Im not. Ive been going to Fir Park on and off (when I can afford it) since 1987... Showing my age now. So I'm aware of the rollercoaster. Irrespective of different opinions on here I'm sure we all want the best for the club. 

Just sods law that when I got a discounted ticket this year (student) we hit yet another rough patch.