โ€‹๐Ÿ†โ€‹SC Greenock Morton v Motherwell 09/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

Just now, smiddy said:

yes wellgirl, we will move on , but i beleive a spell on the bench .might well make him stronger mentally. then he may well come back in with his confidence back up, and end the season well, but i dont think the manager will drop him,personally when his contract is up in the summer i would say thanks liam watch that door doesnt hit your erse on the way out , seriously there must be a better or as good as a keeper out there for the money hes allegedly onย  we can discuss this all nightย  but the fact is people on here will defend him to the hilt, but if hees 3rd choice scotland keeper (not in my opinion ) then he should be dealing with these situations, thats probs another reason sk wont drop him, incase it puts hisย  scotland career oot the window, anyway nuff said bout him , time will tell,ย  thank you

I do agree that that the money we are paying him could possibly be spent better elsewhere. But unless we are sure Aston is better than him we need Kelly and thats that.ย 

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

To be fair you always get upsets in the cup. It goes with the territory.ย 

Exactly,to be honest I'm not surprised one bit we lost tonight,away from home to a side on a good run,the ingredients were there for an upset.the fear for me is that we could quite easily repeat two performances like that in a play off.i know I'm getting a little ahead of myself there but let's hope we dont end up in that scenario.

Kelly looked visibly nervous from the off. From the ball he dropped in the first 5 to the calamity that was the first goal. Having seen his body language week in week out this season he looks like a very anxious character at times. I genuinely believe he needs to be taken out of the spotlight for his own good. As for the captaincy, to me it's just an armband. It might be a clichรฉ but you should have 11 captains on the pitch. Or at least least a solid spine of leaders from back to front to build around. I could see from the first 10 minutes that this wasn't the game for Miller, he plays the silky kind of football that's only suited to good surfaces and he struggled to get involved from the start. That game required grafters and we didn't have enough at our disposal simple as that. On a positive note, Jack Vale looks like he could be a find.

Just now, Mortonhallwell said:

Kelly is one of our highest earners, if not the highest earner, and our captain. That brings certain expectations and responsibilities which he is unable to fulfill. He should be leading by example, not conceding poor goals and generally being ineffective .

If ever there was a time to drop him it's now.

Hes clearly lost confidence. That was apparent months ago. We just need to be sure Aston will do the jobย 

It's a sore one but we have all been here before. As soon as things look like improving, a result and performance like tonight happens. We were sucked in to playing the game Morton wanted and very rarely moved away from that. A Morton team that included 2 ex 'Well players that, no harm to them, proved to be not good enough for us. I doubt if any of them are, even Oakley albeit he played well tonight. Obviously there are questions to be asked of some who are wearing claret and amber. We were poor but let's make sure we stay up and take at look at things at the end of the season.

• Like 1

Oh man, another tough one to take. Pathetic 1st half performance, coupled with another gift of a goal. Played like we expected to just turn up and roll them over, was never going to be the case with the run theyโ€™ve been on.ย 
ย 

Bemused by the lack of subs at half time, could have taken just about anyone off, however Oโ€™Donnell and Miller should have been hooked imo, Oโ€™Donnell was terrible and Miller look very rusty. We then end up throwing subs on in a very unorganised way, completely losing any shape. Frustrating they werenโ€™t very good either, just more committed and better organised.ย 

Vale the only bright spark on very dark night again for the club.

1 minute ago, Well Well said:

SK Post match interview. "I never seen this coming, the performance, the result". Well every single fan did and that's why the cameras were there because the BBC did as well.ย 

Bit about the structure that got meโ€ฆ..

ย 

structure disappeared ( professional footballers should be able to sort that themselves )

ย 

if they canโ€™t then the manager shouldย 

ย 

not much point in speculating if a sun keeper is good enough if weโ€™re not going to give him a chanceย 

ย 

poor season

ย 

poor recruitment

ย 

Manager always goes at the end of the season on that basisย 

2 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Hes clearly lost confidence. That was apparent months ago. We just need to be sure Aston will do the jobย 

Yes, I agree, and I really don't know what type of keeper Aston is. However if Kelly has lost confidence it will do him more harm to keep playing him if he continues to make mistakesย 

3 minutes ago, Well Well said:

SK Post match interview. "I never seen this coming, the performance, the result". Well every single fan did and that's why the cameras were there because the BBC did as well.ย 

I dont think every single fan did to be fair otherwise why did almost 2000 fans travel. I understand the point you are making but I personally wouldn't spend money to go and watch Motherwell if I thought we were going to automatically lose.ย 

No one seems to be mentioning Butcher so I will!ย  Thought he was awful all night. When the Morton player hit the bar Butcher tried to pull him back rather than get a challenge in. If VAR had been available who knows. He failed to block the shot at their second goal and did exactly the same again Alloa at Salmons goal.

He got booked tonight after a cynical challenge which summed up his evening.ย 

Not sure what his best position is but it's not in defence.

1 minute ago, Mortonhallwell said:

No one seems to be mentioning Butcher so I will!ย  Thought he was awful all night. When the Morton player hit the bar Butcher tried to pull him back rather than get a challenge in. If VAR had been available who knows. He failed to block the shot at their second goal and did exactly the same again Alloa at Salmons goal.

Agreed, Hes really went downhill since coming back from his injury.ย 

51 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I dont think every single fan did to be fair otherwise why did almost 2000 fans travel. I understand the point you are making but I personally wouldn't spend money to go and watch Motherwell if I thought we were going to automatically lose.ย 

Agreed. but I think many did. Maybe Tuesday lulled many of us into a false sense of security. Before the match many would have anticipated it'd be a real battle and it was. Morton have a big strong physical team and they played to those strengths. A good few thought SK would rotate the squad more giving more gametime to some newer players and rest regulars ie when we were 3-0 up on Tuesday and cruising - that didn't happen.ย  We looked jaded tonight. A few questioned the inclusion of Miller and O'Donnell for different reasons and they both started.

The team may have beenย  more talented than Morton but lacked their will to win and character. Many mistakes made before kick off and also afterwards.

Yes, we have no right to beat a Championship team in the cup, but thats now 2 years in succession we've lost. We do have the right to expect the team, if they are going to lose, to go down fighting but they didn't - they went down without a whimper.ย ย 

10 minutes ago, Prestwickwell said:

poor season

ย 

poor recruitment

ย 

Manager always goes at the end of the season on that basisย 

Where did we finish in the league?

Which signings were worthwhile and which were mistakes, in your opinion?

20 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Charlatan.ย 

I have to disagree on this. Hes made mistakes. That's clear. But do have other people connected with the club and I don't believe for one nano second that he's stealing a wage. I think some of our players are. That's clear. That's not a word I would associate with Kettlewell. I'll just clarify that you are entitled to your view.

21 minutes ago, Mortonhallwell said:

Butcher has been poor since returning from injury. I've mentioned that before on this forum. His best position is on the bench now, unfortunately.ย 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If the players carried out Kettlewell's instructions then he should be sacked but somehow I don't think playing ineffective head tennis on the half way line for 5 minutes at a time was the game plan.

Players need to take responsibility for being gutless, garbage and showing no quality whatsoever.

You genuinely donโ€™t think the tactics were wrong tonight?

With hindsight, itโ€™s clear that this draw was always going to be tough. Poor weather, poor playing surface, a lower,leagle side on a decent run and a false level of confidence in ourselves. Almost the perfect storm.

Throw in our nemesis Dougie Imrie and it makes for a prettycrap night for Motherwell fans.

ย 

We need to move on and get over this quickly.

1 minute ago, The African said:

With hindsight, itโ€™s clear that this draw was always going to be tough. Poor weather, poor playing surface, a lower,leagle side on a decent run and a false level of confidence in ourselves. Almost the perfect storm.

Throw in our nemesis Dougie Imrie and it makes for a prettycrap night for Motherwell fans.

ย 

We need to move on and get over this quickly.

Spot on mate!

21 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Where did we finish in the league?

Which signings were worthwhile and which were mistakes, in your opinion?

If itโ€™s not the manager then itโ€™s the playersย 

ย 

if we scrape 10th itโ€™ll be a decent season ( for the record I like kettlewell but thereโ€™s no clear plan )

ย 

youโ€™ll not get a better draw than Morton at this stage & as others have said when weโ€™re moaning about income itโ€™s important we progressย 

They done their homework simple, put balls on top of Kelly and you will score, itโ€™s been the same all season, donโ€™t know why SK returned to hoof ball, we kept the ball on the ground against a poor County and looked good, doesnโ€™t make sense.