2nd Half Of Season

grizzlyg

Hi Folks

Thought I would have new topic for this.   I think we have all had our say over the past few days and 24 hours especially.  Everyone entitled to their own opinion and as long as constructive and not getting personal with folk it's all healthy.

I have my concerns especially after transfer window.  The signings I think will be good but it's up front where I am worried but we just have to wait and see.  We are currently 9th and in a lot healthier position than Livi. Ross Co game midweek massive and a win would be great especially against that walloper Adams.

Tomorrow will be very tough against a very good side at the moment.  However..........as fans we need to create a great atmosphere.  If negativity in the stands starts it then transforms onto the pitch and players then get tense, heads drop etc etc.  yes I know they get paid more than a lot of us but are still human beings.   Getting told "get off, yer s***e,  retire" don't help......(mind you that sounds like me doing stand-up) 😜😜

We see where we are at end of season.  Kettlewell contract till end of season. If we go down he won't be retained. If we stay up then he maybe gets more time and hopefully learns and becomes better.  

I don't know the answers or outcomes but it is never an easy ride being a Well fan.  Let's all unite and get behind the team and hopefully finish this season on a high.

COYWWWWWWWWW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I get the feeling that there is a general downer around the club and the support just now, exacerbated by our dismal transfer business. That and potentially seeing KvV turn out against us tomorrow isn’t helping the mood.

The only way things can improve in the second half of the season is for us to start winning football matches and perhaps, hopefully, a decent Scottish Cup run. At the moment the signs aren’t good and there isn’t much, if anything, to suggest that we’re going to suddenly turn the corner.

We are weaker now than we were at the beginning of January and we’re going to be relying on Theo Bair for goals. Theo Bair! No harm to the guy I like him and think his effort and workrate is first class, but he’s not going to get us goals and he has nothing in the way of support that would enable him to be a foil for a proper striker. 

Hopefully we look back at this in May as we secure another year of top flight football (and maybe even celebrate winning the Scottish Cup!) but at the moment I don’t see much reason for optimism.

Like everyone else, it would have been ideal to have signed a “reliable and  proven “, striker this window . The defence needed strengthening as we leak goals like a thing that leaks loads of goals. However, if Sam  Nicholson, Vale, Bair, Spittal etc , can all chip in with a few goals each, I think we’ll be alright, we live in hope 

Livingston looked absolutely gubbed, the club is a shambles behind the scenes.  Hard to see them finishing anywhere outside of bottom place.

Dundee and Kilmarnock will be fine.  St. Mirren will probably be fine, their recent form isn't great so they might get dragged into things but I think they have enough points on the board.

That leaves us, St Johnstone and Ross County fighting to stay out the play off spot.

Honestly all three are much of a muchness.  Under Levein St Johnstone have shored up at the back but they still struggle to score.  On the other hand we've scored goals but are absolutely shocking at the back.  And Ross County are probably somewhere in the middle, not great at either but not desperate.  They also have basically a new team and it remains to be seen how that turns out.

No one is really posting great form out all these teams, so it's hard to really pick one out that's looking like they might improve.

Personally I think the 2nd bottom spot might go to St Johnstone as you just can't win games without scoring.

Probably going to be a bit of a nail bitter though.

45 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Livingston looked absolutely gubbed, the club is a shambles behind the scenes.  Hard to see them finishing anywhere outside of bottom place.

Dundee and Kilmarnock will be fine.  St. Mirren will probably be fine, their recent form isn't great so they might get dragged into things but I think they have enough points on the board.

That leaves us, St Johnstone and Ross County fighting to stay out the play off spot.

Honestly all three are much of a muchness.  Under Levein St Johnstone have shored up at the back but they still struggle to score.  On the other hand we've scored goals but are absolutely shocking at the back.  And Ross County are probably somewhere in the middle, not great at either but not desperate.  They also have basically a new team and it remains to be seen how that turns out.

No one is really posting great form out all these teams, so it's hard to really pick one out that's looking like they might improve.

Personally I think the 2nd bottom spot might go to St Johnstone as you just can't win games without scoring.

Probably going to be a bit of a nail bitter though.

I thought we looked a good bit better than st j, admittedly only drew ..so there's not much in it

In saying that in the 2 games v st mirren, I thought we have been as good as them, but we do lose easy goals so it all goes for nothing

Let's see what the new signings add , I think we will be ok , but it's the defence that needs sorting

I just caught the st j goal from last weekend, another goal where we never attacked the cross and it trundles in.

A couple of wins and it should lift the spirits and atmosphere. However, easier said than done but other than the ugly sisters we have a reasonable chance to pick up 3 points in any game. Cut out the silly mistakes and take our chances. 
  Probably, if you look at most of our  goals conceded, a high percentage are due to basic errors and switching off mentally.  Not too many are what you would look at say, “That was a well worked goal” or “what a scorcher”. Perhaps our new players will help to reduce our mistakes and mental lapses and see us perhaps end up comfortably above the play off spot

Our stats this season have been OK in the goals scored column and abysmal in the goals conceded.

If we can eliminate about half the stupid defensive mistakes and maintain the goals, we could be pushing for top 6.

If we don't eliminate the defensive mistakes, I see us 8th or 9th.

As poor as we have been, I don't think we have the look of relegation fodder at this stage. You can normally see that in the players and manager's eyes, as well as their body language on the pitch. Not to mention the post-match interviews

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I agree and also with others that it’s more likely it will be a three way battle to avoid playoff but with us pulling away at the start of the split and finishing 9th or 8th. 

A big part  of why I’m optimistic remains the apparent attitude and willingness of the players to respond to adversity.  Okay we could have had better luck and judgement with signings but the squad seems together and that’s an important factor going into last 16 games   

• Like 1

Im glad Livingston are where they're at. 

As much as I don't think we'll continue the bad run of not winning any games I'm not confident we won't avoid the play-offs. 

Not being a doom/gloom monster . Things aren't going our way , small squad, injuries, quality loanee's being returned.  Off field could be better with the temp CEO and Chairman looking for exit door. We've got out of dodge a few times in the last 10 years and feels like lots conspiring against us.

Really hope we pull 4-5 decent results together to give us cushion. 

10 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Im glad Livingston are where they're at. 

As much as I don't think we'll continue the bad run of not winning any games I'm not confident we won't avoid the play-offs. 

Not being a doom/gloom monster . Things aren't going our way , small squad, injuries, quality loanee's being returned.  Off field could be better with the temp CEO and Chairman looking for exit door. We've got out of dodge a few times in the last 10 years and feels like lots conspiring against us.

Really hope we pull 4-5 decent results together to give us cushion. 

We've got out of dodge a lot of times. We just need to keep the faith. One game at a time 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Our stats this season have been OK in the goals scored column and abysmal in the goals conceded.

If we can eliminate about half the stupid defensive mistakes and maintain the goals, we could be pushing for top 6.

If we don't eliminate the defensive mistakes, I see us 8th or 9th.

As poor as we have been, I don't think we have the look of relegation fodder at this stage. You can normally see that in the players and manager's eyes, as well as their body language on the pitch. Not to mention the post-match interviews

Exactly this. It's the defence that's needed tightened. Plus. I don't care where the goals come from. Spittal. Gent. Anyone. And hopefully Theo will kick on and find his shooting boots 

Im relatively happy with the business that we have done.

Id have liked another striker, not necessarily KVV, but someone to replace Biereth would have been grand.

Whether Vale will be that player remains to be seen, but I would still have liked a back up to cover for injuries.

If we cant get anyone on the free market, I would certainly be considering recalling young Ferrie. He may not be ready, but sometimes needs must.

Apart from that, I think Livvy are toast, so its between us, County and St Johnstone for the play off place.

I think we should have enough about us to top that triumverate. Unless of course Bair and Vale get injured at the same time and we have no cover!

Now lets get into these Squirrelhumping barstewards! 😆

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Im relatively happy with the business that we have done.

Id have liked another striker, not necessarily KVV, but someone to replace Biereth would have been grand.

Whether Vale will be that player remains to be seen, but I would still have liked a back up to cover for injuries.

If we cant get anyone on the free market, I would certainly be considering recalling young Ferrie. He may not be ready, but sometimes needs must.

Apart from that, I think Livvy are toast, so its between us, County and St Johnstone for the play off place.

I think we should have enough about us to top that triumverate. Unless of course Bair and Vale get injured at the same time and we have no cover!

Now lets get into these Squirrelhumping barstewards! 😆

Mark Ferrie's loan ended and he was on the bench last Saturday. The very few times I've seen him he just doesn't look ready for first team football. 

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Mark Ferrie's loan ended and he was on the bench last Saturday. The very few times I've seen him he just doesn't look ready for first team football. 

Didnt realise he was back. I agree, only saw him in the League Cup and he wasnt there yet. Was hoping his loan would have brought him on a bit. Would still prefer an experienced player. Lots of frees around. Just need to find one who has something to offer who would come for what we pay!

1 minute ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Didnt realise he was back. I agree, only saw him in the League Cup and he wasnt there yet. Was hoping his loan would have brought him on a bit. Would still prefer an experienced player. Lots of frees around. Just need to find one who has something to offer who would come for what we pay!

I think we probably pay decent wages for a club with our budget. 

Good to see a bit of positivity.  I ain't delusional and thinking everything is rosy but at same time considering we have won 1 out of 18 we still sit 9th so all to play for and still in the cup.

Positive vibes folks and we can survive this season then re assess in the summer

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Good to see a bit of positivity.  I ain't delusional and thinking everything is rosy but at same time considering we have won 1 out of 18 we still sit 9th so all to play for and still in the cup.

Positive vibes folks and we can survive this season then re assess in the summer

It's four out of 22 ... Which is slightly better. We were very unlucky in September. I think the Celtic defeat knocked our confidence and it all went from there. 

Kettlewell kept us up last season and I have faith in him .