Motherwell v Ross County - 06/02/24

MJC

Just felt like everything clicked last night I know we were playing a downbeat Ross County but we still had to turn up get the job done and we done it with a bit of style.I think the confidence that Bair has started to get is not spreading about the team like wildfire it's good to see.

We all know Spittial won't be here next season then downfall of him playing so well sadly will attract teams to the table to offer him what we won't and can't it's the nature of the beast.

I hope he stays but I really can see him moving on.

3 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Still see folk elsewhere mumping about Bair missing chances. True, he did, but the main criticism of him earlier in the season - if I remember correctly - was he didn't get into the right positions to get chances.

That was the main criticism of him when he arrived, and it was my primary concern. Up until this season, he didn't look like a striker. His xG and so on suggested that he simply did not get into the positions that strikers need to get into.

All credit goes to Kettlewell and the coaching team, who have given him simple instructions to follow, which are proving effective. 

You'll notice that his chances all kind of look similar, which is why he's scoring. He's still incredibly limited but has the sheer athleticism and size to allow him to take advantage of those limited abilities. 

Basically, focus on what you can do, make sure you do it very well, and forget what you can't because at the age he's at now, he's likely not going to develop those skills anyway.

An example would be his running in behind the defence. We saw him do that multiple times last night. It's a simple enough instruction, but it takes someone with size and speed to carry it out. It also requires a level of defensive intelligence and physical ability to stop, and we don't see that much in the Scottish league. I'm sure Bair would run into issues at a higher level, but that doesn't matter to us. 

17 minutes ago, David said:

Bair;

An example would be his running in behind the defence. We saw him do that multiple times last night. It's a simple enough instruction, but it takes someone with size and speed to carry it out. It also requires a level of defensive intelligence and physical ability to stop, and we don't see that much in the Scottish league. I'm sure Bair would run into issues at a higher level, but that doesn't matter to us. 

Absolutely this... And hopefully the defensive backline at Morton have the same lack of intelligence as County.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Inflato said:

Absolutely this... And hopefully the defensive backline at Morton have the same lack of intelligence as County.

100%. Bair should see a fair amount of success against Morton. Let's hope he can convert some of the chances.

Bair had a good game last night in terms of general play but....he's a striker that missed, what, 5-6 really good chances in the match?

Going forward he's probably not going to get a third of those chances in a game.

It's important for the team that his finishing improves because having a striker that can put the ball in the net makes all the difference in this league.  You really need to be putting away at least 1 in 3.

He's made big strides forward and it's not my intention to slate the guy, I'm glad he's looking more confident, but it's one of those one's where if a different player had missed those chances they'd probably be getting a harder time about it.

• Like 1

Having watched County's last 2 games they actually looked not too bad on the ball and I was fully expecting a hard midfield shithouse type of game.

Maybe the early goal settled us and you could see the confidence begin to rise as the half progressed.

Forward instead of sideway passes, shots from distance, things we've been screaming out for.

County were shite but maybe because we made them look like that?

Just keep wondering how many more we might have scored if we had played 2 strikers but that's only a cherry on the cake thinking.

The team will be coming into training with a wee bit extra spring in their steps which can only be good.

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Bair had a good game last night in terms of general play but....he's a striker that missed, what, 5-6 really good chances in the match?

Do you know what kind of striker scores all of those chances, though? Erling Haaland. 

3 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It's important for the team that his finishing improves because having a striker that can put the ball in the net makes all the difference in this league.  You really need to be putting away at least 1 in 3.

The thing is, he is putting away almost 1 in 3, but the most important stat is his goals-per-game ratio. 0.3 goals per game, so almost a 1 in 3 ratio. That's almost the exact same as Kyogo, Luis Palma, and Cyriel Dessers this season, and is better than Maeda.

That's a remarkable stat considering his previous season at St Johnstone was laughable in terms of goals per game. 

If you're looking for a striker who has a ratio of scoring 1 in 3 chances, then you're really looking at elite level strikers.

14 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He's made big strides forward and it's not my intention to slate the guy, I'm glad he's looking more confident, but it's one of those one's where if a different player had missed those chances they'd probably be getting a harder time about it.

I don't agree. I think the fact he's getting chances and scoring them of late is really all we can ask. Anyone who's saying, "Yeah, well, he scored five in his last four or whatever is fine, but he should be scoring three goals per game", is mental.

To be fair to Bair the two 1 on 1s were good saves, the first one was a Martinez-esque save spreading himself, the second was a good save at Bair's feet.

They weren't wild misses or anything.

I think for the first one Bair would maybe have had more luck if he dinked the keeper like he did the other week.

13 minutes ago, santheman said:

Having watched County's last 2 games they actually looked not too bad on the ball and I was fully expecting a hard midfield shithouse type of game.

I don't think County were that bad on the ball last night, it's just off the ball they were stinking.  They are basically playing with a new keeper, two out of three centre halves and two sitting midfielders and I think that lack of cohesion and familiarity was probably a big problem for them.

Getting two early goals is going to sink most teams and certainly teams with County's away form, last away win was in September.

11 minutes ago, Richie said:

To be fair to Bair the two 1 on 1s were good saves, the first one was a Martinez-esque save spreading himself, the second was a good save at Bair's feet.

They weren't wild misses or anything.

I think for the first one Bair would maybe have had more luck if he dinked the keeper like he did the other week.

Yep agree with that richie plus his "offside" goal was some finish showing confidence, his run to the left then darted right on breakaway and Spittal put him in for him to dink it just wide was great movement from him and also he was waiting for a tap in from paton who made bad pass.

A big thing I noticed last night and will continue is defenders are starting to fear him giving room to our other players which again is another arrow to his bow.

Someone with his size strength and speed will always be capable of something in our league and why I couldn't believe stick he was getting earlier in season without having had a chance with us .

Bevis is same and yes he is bambi on ice at times but he has all the attributes of bair that I mentioned and can use them in different ways hence the reason I at present always want him in the team.

8 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Someone with his size strength and speed will always be capable of something in our league and why I couldn't believe stick he was getting earlier in season without having had a chance with us .

Well, he had spent an entire season previously in our league, playing over thirty games and accomplishing pretty much the same as he had previously in his career, save for a stint in the lower leagues of Norway. Absolutely nothing of note.

So, the stick was entirely warranted. I'm sure he'd admit that. But just as much as the stick was warranted on his numbers before signing for us, so is the praise he's getting now.

It works both ways.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I actually think, strangely, that despite conceding five goals, their 'keeper looked really good, possibly their best player on the night with Dhanda. The two one-on-ones he did really well with and with Theo's dinked shot he came out and made himself big again, doing enough that the chance was missed. I'd put those chances down as good goalkeeping rather than bad misses by Bair.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, David said:

Well, he had spent an entire season previously in our league, playing over thirty games and accomplishing pretty much the same as he had previously in his career, save for a stint in the lower leagues of Norway. Absolutely nothing of note.

So, the stick was entirely warranted. I'm sure he'd admit that. But just as much as the stick was warranted on his numbers before signing for us, so is the praise he's getting now.

It works both ways.

I personally think he (and some others got too much stick ) and tbh there must come a time when you are under pressure and it might start to dent your confidence. I personally think the team lost confidence after that loss to Celtic at the end of last September. 

Just now, wellgirl said:

I personally think he (and some others got too much stick ) and tbh there must come a time when you are under pressure and it might start to dent your confidence.

As harsh as it might sound, you must be able to deal with stick when you're a footballer at any reasonable level. It's going to be coming at you at some point. Messi, Maradona, and Ronaldo have been criticised over the years. It happens to the best of them.

How they deal with it will determine how successful they go on to be. Bair has taken the stick and the doubts about his ability and worked hard regardless, rising above it. 

Going forward he's probably not going to get a third of those chances in a game.

If there is any striker out there converting "at least 1 in 3" they won't be anywhere near Fir Park. I'd be surprised if even Haaland is turning in those figures.

4 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Please sign a new three year contract with us?

As near perfect a performance as you will ever see Inna Motherwell shirt. He's on hot form at the right time for us and him. On his current form there is no way we will hold onto him. If he goes to St Mirren he's off his head bigger and better than them will be after him.  Knowing our luck we will give Slattery a new deal. 

Last night also proved what I've ditched about for years. Our midfield has been a major part of our problems. When you get a midfield playing like they did last night the defence is not so constantly under pressure and they supply good chances for the forwards. It's an area of the team we've neglected for far too long and I mean ever before SK time. We've invariably has lightweights in the midfield. I know some ain't his biggest fan because of his final ball but Paton was winning everything in the midfield battles and played a big part last night. 

We do need to also acknowledge RC played a strange game and never changed it. They played a high pressing line but frankly don't have the defence to cope when they lose the ball. Everything went through Dhanda and he had poor support and we kept him on a tight reign.

One of the most enjoyable games from a Motherwell fans perspective in a few years, dominant start to finish. 10-0 would not have been an injustice.

52 minutes ago, David said:

It works both ways.

Wasn't just you giving stick david was quite a few.

I can't agree with your "stick was entirely warranted" comment any player coming to us should get benefit of doubt initially in my book but that's another debate.

I don't think County were that bad on the ball last night, it's just off the ball they were stinking.  They are basically playing with a new keeper, two out of three centre halves and two sitting midfielders and I think that lack of cohesion and familiarity was probably a big problem for them.

Getting two early goals is going to sink most teams and certainly teams with County's away form, last away win was in September.

They played a high pressing game and their defence can't handle it. RC tactics played right into our hands.

8 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Wasn't just you giving stick david was quite a few.

I can't agree with your "stick was entirely warranted" comment any player coming to us should get benefit of doubt initially in my book but that's another debate.

I think personally the stick some players have had this and last season has been a bit OTT and I absolutely think Bair got more than he deserved at points. Even when he wasn't scoring you could see the shift he was putting in.