2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

Big pressure on Spittal now for rest of season.  Any signs of dropping standards or trying to avoid injury doesn't look good especially when we are still fighting relegation.   No way we can compete with Hearts financially so I don't blame him but at same time disappointed 

Just now, grizzlyg said:

Big pressure on Spittal now for rest of season.  Any signs of dropping standards or trying to avoid injury doesn't look good especially when we are still fighting relegation.   No way we can compete with Hearts financially so I don't blame him but at same time disappointed 

I think everyone knew he was off. I personally think he won't drop his game. I wish him the best but we move on 

5 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Id be sorry to lose McGinn most of the other out of contract are very replaceable.. Hope big Bevis has refused.

Bevis said last week that contract negotiations haven't been opened yet which makes me think all this I know something you don't is a crock of shit. 

Spittal has gone from a decent premier league player to a good one since he's been here,he's done us a right good turn and will be missed,atleast he isnt off to the likes of st mirren.

13 minutes ago, TheoBair14 said:

Would imagine Slattery will prob leave at end of season but could get him on new contract for after his injury 

I think he will be offered new terms because of the injury and he will stay. Hopefully 

• Like 1

This is what we do.

We take players, improve them, and move them on.

It would have been nice if we could have got a fee for Spittal, but at least it is another one in a long line of players we have improved who have gone on to bigger things.

Should help us attract a suitable replacement......

6 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

No harm to the lad  but its best for both parties if he moves on. Too lightweight I'm afraid. 

Probably. But it would be good to see him back and have the management team assess whether he has developed any. If not, happy for him to move on.

11 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

This is what we do.

We take players, improve them, and move them on.

It would have been nice if we could have got a fee for Spittal, but at least it is another one in a long line of players we have improved who have gone on to bigger things.

Should help us attract a suitable replacement......

Exactly, only a big blow if we don't replace Spittall, I remember the "Huge Blow" stuff when we lost KVV last season and we are the 3rd highest scorers in the SPFL this season. Players come players go. There will be more Blair Spittalls for us in the years ahead.

We should get some money in for Lennon Miller and we move on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

My feelings exactly. We can now move on. 

This would have been best kept quiet though. 

Why would hears give a shit about that

2 hours ago, stv said:

Yeah exactly, when Aberdeen signed Gallagher on a pre contract they declined our request to shhhhh. As did St Midden with O'Hara. 

Hearts raiding other clubs in the league for players is interesting. It always felt like Spittal would be away anyway due to his form for us. 

I feel this is where Motherwell as a club lack a little. The likes of hearts, st Mirren etc seem pretty proactive in getting pre contracts tied up nice and early where as we don’t. 9/10 we are half way into a window with half a squad. It worked out very well when getting the likes of Declan Gallagher in early etc. Just think for us to progress as a club with financial constraints we have that it’s best to get out early and get they deals done before others, I totally understand a lot of players will want to wait until the summer as there may be better offers but clearly some players do go for it.

1 minute ago, supermarv said:

I feel this is where Motherwell as a club lack a little. The likes of hearts, st Mirren etc seem pretty proactive in getting pre contracts tied up nice and early where as we don’t. 9/10 we are half way into a window with half a squad. It worked out very well when getting the likes of Declan Gallagher in early etc. Just think for us to progress as a club with financial constraints we have that it’s best to get out early and get they deals done before others, I totally understand a lot of players will want to wait until the summer as there may be better offers but clearly some players do go for it.

Some substance in that, but having the money certainly helps. A lot though, is to do with final league placings. Hearts and St Mirren both kow they won't be relegated whereas we don't yet know for certain. This uncertainty will colour negotiations.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Some substance in that, but having the money certainly helps. A lot though, is to do with final league placings. Hearts and St Mirren both kow they won't be relegated whereas we don't yet know for certain. This uncertainty will colour negotiations.

Spot on Dave, the money On offer from clubs like Hearts, plus the prospect of European football etc is a no brainer for a player like Spittal, he'll probably double his salary without any need to uproot his family and move house.

11 hours ago, stv said:

Out of respect. There would have been no great disadvantage in Hearts keeping quiet. I don't buy the line that the announcement was to pacify their fans. To some extent its hung Spittal out to dry, although you could argue that he was hoisted by his own petard. That said, I would say to our club  that they don't need to treat Hearts with great respect in future. They'll reap what they sow.