Hearts v Motherwell 17/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, Fairhill said:

I keep watching goal difference, and ours should be better, it is at mid-league level. Suely the forward line is more where the problem lies. I'm not defending the back, but a few more goals for would have made a bigger difference.

We're equal third top scorers in the league. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We are such a frustrating team to watch. We do so many good things in a game and then feck it up by doing some really stupid shit.

We defended well as a team today for tge most part. Hearts have some gifted players and we kept our discipline well and made them play round about us.

The only save Kelly had to make in the first half was McGinns header which he was trying to deflect over the bar.

Second half we started really smartly on the front foot and put them under a fair bit of pressure. There were a fair few chances to get the ball in the net but we couldnt take any of them.

Ultimately we paid for that. Hearts made some positive changes. Vargas being the pick of the bunch. He looks a dangerous player. 

That said the first goal is typical of our season. Straightforward free kick and we let the best striker in the league get a free header at it. I like Mugabi, but his one job in the team is to win headers and he let Shankland get the better if him.

The second goal is a sucker punch in injury time. We were throwing everyone (even Mugabi) forward. Thought SODs was pushed in the back in the run up. Maybe he should be stronger, but Decine got given a foul against seconds earlier for literally nothing. There is no consistency with these things and it makes a mockery of VAR.

Overall, decent performance at a difficult venue. Spittal would have made a difference. Hope whatever his issue is it isnt serious and we see him next week. We will need him. 

Not sure what more SK can do about our defending. Team were clearly well drilled today on their gameplan but individual errors keep costing us. Just need to tough it out until the summer until we can change personnel.

Mugabi , should be one of a few shown the door in the summer. He's had tons chances to improve and he makes the same basic error now he did three years ago.

• Like 1

I wasn’t really expecting us to win today however I thought we played very well in the first half and managed to nullify them as an attacking force to the extent that they were forced into changing formation and shape for the second half.  However I felt we never offered very much ourselves as an attacking force and it looked as though Kettlewell had set his stall out for a draw.

They never managed to cut us open from open play and on the rare occasions when we got on the front foot their defence looked very ordinary but we lacked the quality and composure needed to take advantage. Sadly the two goals we lost were yet again quite soft from a defensive point of view.

However we are 7 points clear of Ross County and 10 clear of Livingston and if we can beat Livingston at the end of the month then I think we’ll be okay.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Mugabi , should be one of a few shown the door in the summer. He's had tons chances to improve and he makes the same basic error now he did three years ago.

As others have said, I could just about live with him as back-up, but he can't be considered a starter. 

2 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

As others have said, I could just about live with him as back-up, but he can't be considered a starter. 

Apart from the goal - and I’m not defending him at that as I’ve still to see it properly - I thought he didn’t do too badly today. He cleared most of the crosses put into the box.
Most, if not all the guy’s we can afford will have faults. 

33 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

good summary as always . 

Re your who we solve the defence.  I thought Casey made a difference and would keep him in the team.  

The simple answer is drop Mugabi.   Neither Butcher or Mugabi would be in my first 11.   

Agreed.

Casey was back to last seasons level instead of the mistake ridden version of this season.

Much better player when he keeps it simple and just defends.

Was actually very unlucky with his speculative shot in the first half. Keeper did well as it was swerving all over the place!

Id have Mugabi as a back up but we cant keep him, Butcher, SOD and McGinn as they cant all play and we need some upgrades. Personally Id let him and Butcher go and keep SOD & McGinn as they can play more than one position.

7 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Apart from the goal - and I’m not defending him at that as I’ve still to see it properly - I thought he didn’t do too badly today. He cleared most of the crosses put into the box.

I know, and I don't expect perfection, or anywhere near it. I just think he looks unlikely to improve beyond where he is now and his wee errors have been costly too often, so we'd need to see if another guy would be more reliable. I like the guy, he's a trier and not the worst you'll see, but it might just be time for a change.

9 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

So with our current players what’s our starting back 3?  SOD  Casey  McGinn ??

Thats a tough call.

Mugabi is in for headers as Kelly wont come off his line.

But that didnt work out for us today.

Butcher looks broken, so I think reluctantly I would go

McGinn Casey Blaney or

SOD McGinn Casey

6 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Personal view - we don’t have 3 good enough and would be tempted to go back to a flat back 4 

we went to a back 3 to solve a problem over a year ago - that problem may no longer exist as we have a much stronger midfield 

Though 2 wins in 21 also not great reading.  

42 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Every player we ever have will have faults , it's the consistency with which they display those faults that determine whether they are any good for us and for me Mugabi makes too many basic errors. He's not alone we have quite a few we should be looking to move on.

Just now, grizzlyg said:

Yup 5 wins all season in league

Sorry it's five in 26. Yeah the draws are killing us but I honestly can't be bothered right now. I'm really sorry for the folk paying every week particularly away games to see us lose but if we need to stutter our way over the line so be it. And if we go down we go down. I hope we won't but I'll support the team no matter. It's out of my control. All I can do is back the team 

2 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Sorry it's five in 26. Yeah the draws are killing us but I honestly can't be bothered right now. I'm really sorry for the folk paying every week particularly away games to see us lose but if we need to stutter our way over the line so be it. And if we go down we go down. I hope we won't but I'll support the team no matter. It's out of my control. All I can do is back the team 

We will be fine this season, trust me