Motherwell v Celtic 25/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

“Celtic are there for the taking, what better time to play them”?

”We were unbeaten in six before Tynecastle”

”Killie took points off them in their last game, no reason we can’t either”

1-3 Celtic

Same old story

MJC 7IAR

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Rest any player who isn't 100% fit. We have bigger fish to fry later. The strategy of many a previous manager. 

And that’s why our record against them and the other OF lot is so horrendous and won’t be changing any time soon, because this mentality that “these games don’t matter” runs right through the club. It’s hard enough playing Celtic without resting players.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Rest any player who isn't 100% fit. We have bigger fish to fry later. The strategy of many a previous manager. 

Disagree. Every point is a prisoner, so we should be going for them. That doesn't mean we will win, though. 

Despite them being massive favourites, and whatever MJC says, there is no reason we cant fight our way to at least a draw.

It will be tough, but they are at a low ebb. Confidence is shot & they will be hurting. Would like to see us take the game to them & get right in their faces from the off. They are not the fluid attacking unit they were last season. Sadly our defence and keeper are a shambles. Keep the ball in their half as much as we can. Dont sit back & invite them onto us

53 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

Despite them being massive favourites, and whatever MJC says, there is no reason we cant fight our way to at least a draw.

It will be tough, but they are at a low ebb. Confidence is shot & they will be hurting. Would like to see us take the game to them & get right in their faces from the off. They are not the fluid attacking unit they were last season. Sadly our defence and keeper are a shambles. Keep the ball in their half as much as we can. Dont sit back & invite them onto us

My thoughts as well but over the years we've been very charitable to struggling teams looking for a win so I have the fear for this one. I can see us scoring but as you say our defence is a shambles and that's our biggest concern.

Celtic are a weaker team just now, although they should still be good enough to get a win against us but we can only hope otherwise.
Abada is a loss for them but that’s not all of their problem, they seem to be missing something and are not clicking as a team - let’s hope Brendon doesn’t fix it before next Sunday. 

I don’t know how many times over the years that one of the Old Firm has dropped points just before they are due to play us and you get folk on this forum rubbing their hands together about us beating or taking a point off them…and it never happens. Not that we would have taken anything next week anyway but it’s even less likely with Celtic dropping points yesterday.

10 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Damage limitation before a huge game against Livi afterwards.

We've no divine right to beat Livi. They finally got points against the team in fifth yesterday. As you say, it'll be a huge game for both teams. 

Regardless of how poorly Celtic are playing compared to last season, they are still way out in front of all the other teams bar Rangers and have better players than everyone else. Stands to reason it will be a tough game.

But we played very well for the most part yesterday at a tough venue against a team with better players and more resources.

The same level of application will be required and we will of course require to eliminate any unforced and self inflicted errors.

However, our performances against Celtic this season have been decent, so not that unreasonable to think we can produce another one and at least sneak a point.

I think we will need Spittal and Gent fit to make that a reality and possibly Butcher, although his absence would concern me the least out the three.

That said, Celtic could come out with all guns blazing and knock 4 past us. Just need to wait and see!

7 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Better have your best and clean‘WELL scarfs as your on the telly. 
We haven’t been playing that badly Celtic haven’t been that good either.

Can we beat Celtic? I would like to think so.

COYW

I will clean my scarf when i get back from the game after being so close to that manky mob.

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

Be interesting to see how trailing by 5 points would affect them. 

They couldn’t have picked a better game to get back on track if they tried in that scenario. 

1 minute ago, MJC said:

They couldn’t have picked a better game to get back on track if they tried in that scenario. 

I would've thought they'd pick Livi or Ross County, given the choice. No idea why they'd think we'll be easier to beat.

Don’t know if this has been raised end Jan or not, if it has then sorry for repeating, interested to know given our dire finances, with Turnbull exiting the ugly sister at Parkhead are we due any % of the reported £2m?

If so I say we use it to resign Spittal and buy some grass seed for the field.

Who’s  in the know? 

8 minutes ago, Motherwell Daft said:

Don’t know if this has been raised end Jan or not, if it has then sorry for repeating, interested to know given our dire finances, with Turnbull exiting the ugly sister at Parkhead are we due any % of the reported £2m?

Who’s  in the know? 

I'm not 'in the know' but as far as i do know, sell-on bonuses are usually tied to profit. They sold him at a huge loss.

26 minutes ago, Motherwell Daft said:

Who’s  in the know? 

Why would you want to buy grass seed, Pitch had thousands spent on it and its only been the turning on of the undersoil heating that has affected parts. It will start to grow naturally soon. Comments like that are quite ill advised, ie, Steve Tosh, who dissed the park the other night, having not been at Fir Park for about 30 years. The quality of the pitch was the reason we got under 21 internationals, so hopefully will again. Anyway nice to see someone dissing the park, rather than the players, especially with so called supporters gloating at predicting a defeat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wee Dougie said:

Why would you want to buy grass seed, Pitch had thousands spent on it and its only been the turning on of the undersoil heating that has affected parts. It will start to grow naturally soon. Comments like that are quite ill advised, ie, Steve Tosh, who dissed the park the other night, having not been at Fir Park for about 30 years. The quality of the pitch was the reason we got under 21 internationals, so hopefully will again. Anyway nice to see someone dissing the park, rather than the players, especially with so called supporters gloating at predicting a defeat. 

Celtic have been complaining about their hybrid pitch, which was installed by the same company, so it is possible there are some problems. Tynecastle looked better yesterday.

2 hours ago, Motherwell Daft said:

Who’s  in the know? 

try ITK  heez generally on the ball

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Damage limitation before a huge game against Livi afterwards.

Normally, in these games, I'd say go for it but not this time. I say that for 2 reasons: our league position relative to Livingston, Ross County and St Johnstone; and secondly our defence and defensive midfield are a shambles just now and likely to concede very easily. As you say Gazzy, damage limitation. Livi is our cup final.

• Like 1