Countdown to the Split

wellfan

If Aberdeen and Ross County win tonight Motherwell go two points off the top 6 with 4 games to go playing both Dundee and Hibs in the 4 games 

The other way of thinking if Aberdeen and Ross County were to win Motherwell are closer to a relegation play off position 

8 minutes ago, TheoBair14 said:

If Aberdeen and Ross County win tonight Motherwell go two points off the top 6 with 4 games to go playing both Dundee and Hibs in the 4 games 

The other way of thinking if Aberdeen and Ross County were to win Motherwell are closer to a relegation play off position 

A point each for Dundee and Aberdeen and 3 points for Ross County would be my preferred results tonight.

• Like 1

Just now, twistandshout1983 said:

Dundee and Hibs were both winning though Ross County look to get a late point , will take that 

Good that Hibs drop points 

Dundee and Hibs still got to play Rangers and Motherwell play both Dundee and Hibs 

Good chance of top 6 still 

County equalising against Hibs in the last minute is helpful, although a win for County would've been preferable.

Aberdeen losing to Dundee isn't helpful, as a draw would've been preferable, but it's still funny to laugh at Aberdeen.

Top 6 is still on.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheoBair14 said:

Good that Hibs drop points 

Dundee and Hibs still got to play Rangers and Motherwell play both Dundee and Hibs 

Good chance of top 6 still 

Definitely top 6 still on

No reason why we can’t beat both Dundee and Hibs as I do believe not too much between most of the sides at all this season 

30 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Definitely top 6 still on

No reason why we can’t beat both Dundee and Hibs as I do believe not too much between most of the sides at all this season 

It's definitely still on but for it to happen we need to win 3 or 4 of our next 4 games and we've only won 7 all season. So it unlikely, add to that that it would be so typically Motherwell to beat Rangers and lose to the worst Aberdeen team you will ever see. Aberdeen were utterly shocking tonight and if we have anything about us on Saturday we should be able to beat them. However all my Motherwell supporting life the one this we consistently can't do is deal with rising expectations in the stands. That said it would make for some real excitement in the stands for a change if we took it right down to the Hibs game. I still says the odds are against us.

• Like 1

Having seen us finish 2nd a 3rd a few times, win the playoff against Rangers and make the top 6 from a last minute goal at Livi (to name just a few) I don't buy in to the old story about incapable of dealing with rising expectations.

Of course, the truth is that there isn't much to choose between 6 or 7 teams in our division, so any minor drop in performance can lead to a defeat against an evenly matched team.

If we're going to string a few results together, now would be a good time to do it, but Dundee just made it a wee bit harder for us to make the top six. Being at the expense of Aberdeen did soften the blow.

18 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Having seen us finish 2nd a 3rd a few times, win the playoff against Rangers and make the top 6 from a last minute goal at Livi (to name just a few) I don't buy in to the old story about incapable of dealing with rising expectations.

Of course, the truth is that there isn't much to choose between 6 or 7 teams in our division, so any minor drop in performance can lead to a defeat against an evenly matched team.

If we're going to string a few results together, now would be a good time to do it, but Dundee just made it a wee bit harder for us to make the top six. Being at the expense of Aberdeen did soften the blow.

For every one you can give where we deal with expectations, I can give you three where we didn't. I've watched us for 46 years , dealing with rising expectations is most certainly the exception. Failures in the Cup competitions over than period are utterly littered with defeats to teams from lower divisions defeats to other SPFL teams no better than us when we'd expect to win them. 

Aberdeen playing last night and us being fresh from a 2 week break i think will help our cause on Saturday, Its still a long shot however and i think its going to go down to the wire. Have a feeling Celtic/Rangers as well as Utd/Raither Rovers is going to go down to the wire too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

County equalising against Hibs in the last minute is helpful, although a win for County would've been preferable.

Aberdeen losing to Dundee isn't helpful, as a draw would've been preferable, but it's still funny to laugh at Aberdeen.

Top 6 is still on.

Wonder if Burrows will jump ship again sometime soon 🤭

50 minutes ago, Chanzeypopz said:

Aberdeen playing last night and us being fresh from a 2 week break i think will help our cause on Saturday, Its still a long shot however and i think its going to go down to the wire. Have a feeling Celtic/Rangers as well as Utd/Raither Rovers is going to go down to the wire too

They also played last weekend when we did not. So hopefully they are tired bruised and battered and we can take advantage and beat them soundly although any type of win for us will work, just as long as it’s 3 points. 

Fact we are all talking about top 6 chances is great credit to kettlewell and the players.   We have been in relegation trouble for a while so now to be aiming higher is great but in my usual cheerleader role we need to create a great atmosphere on Saturday.   Aberdeen on terrible run so we can't give them any encouragement.  COYW

7 hours ago, Chanzeypopz said:

More likely they will take him out to the north sea and push him overboard to save the payoff fee.

Looking forward to the game and I think it's fair to say there's more optimism in Lanarkshire than there is in the granite city. 

Abderdeen have really lost their way since McInnes left and clearly a team struggling with confidence and form. A

Not saying we'll win but at least we're thinking we could. 

24 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Looking forward to the game and I think it's fair to say there's more optimism in Lanarkshire than there is in the granite city. 

Abderdeen have really lost their way since McInnes left and clearly a team struggling with confidence and form. A

Not saying we'll win but at least we're thinking we could. 

Aberdeen have totally lost their way since Fergie left, putting them in the same category as Prince Andrew and The Black Eyed Peas.

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Chanzeypopz said:

He was always on Twitter posting regularly and answering fan's questions etc over the years but he hasn't been seen on that platform since early January. I know many of our fan's behaviour on social media was laughable but it must be stressful listening to Aberdeen fan's unrealistic expectations.

5 hours ago, Optimus Prime said:

Various questionmarks over his tennure at Fir Park have come to light since he left. Very good at PR though. Maybe getting found out now.

What's the goss? He always seemed to be well thought of.

I must admit I thought last year he had done the dirty as I felt he was tapped up by Aberdeen but after listening to Derek Weir's interview a month or so ago I got the impression that with all the cutbacks that have been made, Alan probably felt he has taken the club as far as he could go as things he had built had regressed plus I was privy to one project, the club had in the pipeline but that has been shelved for now.

6 minutes ago, pretzel said:

He was always on Twitter posting regularly and answering fan's questions etc over the years but he hasn't been seen on that platform since early January. I know many of our fan's behaviour on social media was laughable but it must be stressful listening to Aberdeen fan's unrealistic expectations.

From what I read last week, it seems to have been a directive from Cormack to avoid social media:

On X, formerly Twitter, Cormack posted: "Dons fans - @Alan_Burrows and I totally get your frustration. That was sickening to watch at the end in injury time today.

"The criticism that we are only on here when things are going well is fair, but that’s mainly because we cannot answer questions about our employees, like our players and coaches, or discuss detailed concerns which could impact morale.