Rangers v Motherwell 02/03/2024

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Not for me it isn’t.

You have certainly made your preferences clear in that regard, time and time again. 

I am still licking the wounds from last weekend and although we have to beat Rangers at some point in what time remains of human life on this planet, I just can't see it being this weekend. 

There is always that wee voice in my head all the same that says 'you just never know '

A draw would be a great result this weekend.

Alan Muir is the ref this weekend, the same guy that done this fixture at Ibrox earlier in the season. He gave them the benefit of doubt for each and every decision.

I wouldn't be surprised if we give a decent account of ourselves but frustratingly end up coming up short. 

I would love to relive a Ray Farningham type scenario where we score the winner in the dying embers of the game. Once upon time we had a great knack for getting points off the arse cheeks at the business end of the season.

Anyway they are missing a few key players due to injury.

The sooner the two of them disappear to another league the better it will be for all the other fans of Scottish clubs 

Not that this is going to happen of course 

As far as tomorrow is concerned I am not expecting anything from this game , and will gladly take a draw

Keep thinking we have to beat this mob in a league game at some point again surely , but no idea when this is going to be as we have a shocking record 

Edited by twistandshout1983

A point tomorrow would be tremendous. Three would be out of this world stuff. They’ll have too much for us unfortunately and we don’t have the quality or the bottle to get anything. 

16 minutes ago, MJC said:

A point tomorrow would be tremendous. Three would be out of this world stuff. They’ll have too much for us unfortunately and we don’t have the quality or the bottle to get anything. 

I think we have bottle. I don't think we capitulated to Celtic the last twice we lost at Fir Park. In fact given that we always seem to avoid relegation sometimes by the skin of our teeth I think that's one thing Motherwell has. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Very unfair to say the team don't have the bottle after the way they've played and ran Celtic close this season. Tomorrow's game will take care of itself, were already 29 points better off than your predictions 😝

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Don't think bottle is the issue pal.  Whether he is liked or loathed one thing SK definitely has is a united dressing room, the recent goal celebrations definitely evidence of that. However I also don't expect anything tomorrow but we live in hope. ..COYW

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Don't think bottle is the issue pal.  Whether he is liked or loathed one thing SK definitely has is a united dressing room, the recent goal celebrations definitely evidence of that. However I also don't expect anything tomorrow but we live in hope. ..COYW

I do believe the players are genuinely behind Kettlewell , and at no point has he lost the dressing room at all

Was great to see him celebrating with the fans at Livingston the way he did . It showed his passion , looked like he was trying to copy Klopp and nothing wrong with that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If we play for a result with 2 upfront and dont try to shut up shop like we did against celtic after going 1 up i think we could give them a hard time. They will probably still be too much for us however. Im thinking 2-1 Rangers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Chanzeypopz said:

If we play for a result with 2 upfront and dont try to shut up shop like we did against celtic after going 1 up i think we could give them a hard time. They will probably still be too much for us however. Im thinking 2-1 Rangers.

Yeah I think you could be right Chanzeypopz

but am thinking 1-2

• Sad 1

We definitely need to play on the front foot today.

We all know its the best part of our team.

Our performances at Ibrox and Parkhead this season have been very good.

Here's hoping we get another one and get that little slice of luck you need to get a big result.

If we're going to sit back and defend, we should take a leaf out of Livi's book. Have we the players to do it though?

Centre backs sit deep, wing backs defend crosses out wide; midfield earn their keep by defending 40 yards out and striker(s) closes down advancing defenders.

It sounds good in theory!

12 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

For games against the OF I think we do lack bottle as a club. Regardless of who the manager is or what players we have our mentality in these games is wrong.

Forget narrowly losing to Celtic in September, we still lost. Forget almost scraping a draw against Celtic last week, we didn’t, we still lost. 

It is over twenty years since we recorded a league victory over Rangers and our last win against them was over six years ago. It’s over eight years since we beat Celtic in any competition. I know we are not going to compete against either of them over the course of a season but it does my head in seeing other sides manage to pick up results against them here and there while we never can these days. Please don’t anyone try and raise me games from the 1990s or when it was still legal to smoke indoors to support an argument that our record against the OF isn’t as bad as I am making out. It is. It clearly is and I would give anything for that to change today, as unlikely as it is.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

If we're going to sit back and defend, we should take a leaf out of Livi's book. Have we the players to do it though?

Centre backs sit deep, wing backs defend crosses out wide; midfield earn their keep by defending 40 yards out and striker(s) closes down advancing defenders.

It sounds good in theory!

I think it's a go-for-broke type game, where we should focus on our attacking game by starting Bair and Vale to keep the ball up the park because we will likely badly lose if we try to concentrate on our poor defending game. 

2 hours ago, MJC said:

For games against the OF I think we do lack bottle as a club. Regardless of who the manager is or what players we have our mentality in these games is wrong.

Forget narrowly losing to Celtic in September, we still lost. Forget almost scraping a draw against Celtic last week, we didn’t, we still lost. 

It is over twenty years since we recorded a league victory over Rangers and our last win against them was over six years ago. It’s over eight years since we beat Celtic in any competition. I know we are not going to compete against either of them over the course of a season but it does my head in seeing other sides manage to pick up results against them here and there while we never can these days. Please don’t anyone try and raise me games from the 1990s or when it was still legal to smoke indoors to support an argument that our record against the OF isn’t as bad as I am making out. It is. It clearly is and I would give anything for that to change today, as unlikely as it is.

I do wonder if we are on an upward trajectory, I may have to eat my words later but recent results have been much closer than in previous years.  Not many, five, six, seven goal defeats like we were witnessing.  Maybe the win will come over the next 18 months.  We also seem to get no ‘luck’ in these game, sometime you need that.

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Rangers have lost 4 this season and Celtic two. Not many teams have managed to pick up a result against them. Similar stats last season. If Motherwell don't have bottle by definition that's a label you could place on a good few other spl teams. 

21 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Rangers have lost 4 this season and Celtic two. Not many teams have managed to pick up a result against them. Similar stats last season. If Motherwell don't have bottle by definition that's a label you could place on a good few other spl teams. 

Correct, and were two of Rangers defeats not to Celtic ? (might be wrong but that's what I've got in my heed).

I first started watching 'well in 72 ish and got my first ST in the 75/76 season (I think). First three games against the old firm were a 1-1 draw and 3-2 win against Celtic and a 3-1 win against Rangers. Would absolutely love to see these days come back but the way the game is geared now, i don't think we ever will. Every change tht's been made in my lifetime to make Scottish football more competitive has given bigger and bigger advantages to the Glasgow Uglies. I'd rather see them f*** off out of our leage and leave the rest of us to get on with a competitive league regardless of whatever level the world views us at.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Correct, and were two of Rangers defeats not to Celtic ? (might be wrong but that's what I've got in my heed).

I first started watching 'well in 72 ish and got my first ST in the 75/76 season (I think). First three games against the old firm were a 1-1 draw and 3-2 win against Celtic and a 3-1 win against Rangers. Would absolutely love to see these days come back but the way the game is geared now, i don't think we ever will. Every change tht's been made in my lifetime to make Scottish football more competitive has given bigger and bigger advantages to the Glasgow Uglies. I'd rather see them f*** off out of our leage and leave the rest of us to get on with a competitive league regardless of whatever level the world views us at.

Kilmarnock beat them on the first day of the season and they drew with Aberdeen in November. Don't think any other SPL club has had a result against them apart from Celtic. 

9 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Would be a much more competitive league with out those two, maybe more would turn up to games with a potential chance of winning something 

If you take the teams finishing 3rd in the last 10/15 years we would have league titles along with Aberdeen , Hearts , Killie 

Remember Hibs got relegated with McLeish and the next season the crowds went up 

4 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Kilmarnock beat them on the first day of the season and they drew with Aberdeen in November. Don't think any other SPL club has had a result against them apart from Celtic. 

Aberdeen beat them at Ibrox earlier in the season too , Ian Beale’s last game before he left

1 minute ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Would be a much more competitive league with out those two, maybe more would turn up to games with a potential chance of winning something 

If you take the teams finishing 3rd in the last 10/15 years we would have league titles along with Aberdeen , Hearts , Killie 

Remember Hibs got relegated with McLeish and the next season the crowds went up 

Nice idea but just watch the already meagre sponsorship and TV money diminish further.