Guernsey Literary Festival - Pat Nevin

Mad Dog

https://guernseyliteraryfestival.com/speakers/pat-nevin

So one of the guest speakers is Pat Nevin and I'm thinking of going. Not because I'm interested in his book as it's not the sort of thing that I normally read but just to listen to him talk about his life.

Thinking of the opportunity to ask questions at the end, what would any of you like to ask him if you could?

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

https://guernseyliteraryfestival.com/speakers/pat-nevin

So one of the guest speakers is Pat Nevin and I'm thinking of going. Not because I'm interested in his book as it's not the sort of thing that I normally read but just to listen to him talk about his life.

Thinking of the opportunity to ask questions at the end, what would any of you like to ask him if you could?

Other than being pals with a multi-millionaire, what qualifications do you think you had to be Chief Executive of a football club ?

1 hour ago, AllyMax said:

Other than being pals with a multi-millionaire, what qualifications do you think you had to be Chief Executive of a football club ?

"What first attracted you to millionaire John Boyle?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When we went into administration and were trying to get as much money into the club as possible. We arranged a game with Chievo (they were here to play Dundee in a friendly and agreed to play us too without any charges) 
Does Nevin feel any guilt or regret, as our CEO at the time, to take on a punditry gig with sky on the same night as the chievo game and not attend fir park.
Can he see that maybe, just maybe, the fans saw this as someone who really didn’t give a shit.

• Thanks 1

If your book carrier falls flat check out this thread on steelmen on line :-

Seriously , i still think he wasn’t a bad wee guy , just he didnt have a clue what he was doing just like most ex football players. Mixed up with the big boys who were too smart for him.

1 hour ago, stv said:

If your book carrier falls flat check out this thread on steelmen on line :-

Seriously , i still think he wasn’t a bad wee guy , just he didnt have a clue what he was doing just like most ex football players. Mixed up with the big boys who were too smart for him.

I'm not sure that's the case. Nevin was overly generous with contracts but the bottom line is he working to a budget until Boyle pulled the rug from him.

We were pretty much put into Admin at the exact same time Boyle founded Zoom Airlines. I don't think the timing is a coincidence and it looks like he just decided to stop spending money on a football club and sank it into an airline instead. 

IIRC, Nevin spoke at the Glasgow launch of his book and he told a story of a controlling company rather than Boyle making decisions. Motherwell were part of the portfolio and if finance was affected in one part of the company, Motherwell suffered too. Nevin spoke about being called to meetings in town to discuss the finance and hoping to get things correct but the money taps being turned off by this company. As I said, I may have picked that up wrongly but that was my take at the time of the book launch.

59 minutes ago, si91 said:

IIRC, Nevin spoke at the Glasgow launch of his book and he told a story of a controlling company rather than Boyle making decisions. Motherwell were part of the portfolio and if finance was affected in one part of the company, Motherwell suffered too. Nevin spoke about being called to meetings in town to discuss the finance and hoping to get things correct but the money taps being turned off by this company. As I said, I may have picked that up wrongly but that was my take at the time of the book launch.

Let's hope history isn't about to repeat itself......