Motherwell v Hibernian 13/04/2024

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, stv said:

Our goal was good but the best thing about the game was watching the colour drain from two thousand Hibs fans when we scored it. They were in the top six unless Dundee beat Rangers . Within a minute of probable top six and it was so cruelly snatched away from them. What a laugh, i mean a shame. Even their directors slumped back in their chairs heads in hands  . Brilliant .

That was brilliant to be fair. Twist and shout 

19 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Lennon Miller wont be with us next season, firstly we cant afford to let his contract run down to the end of 2025. Hes not going to sign another extension. I get the impression the one he did sign was similar to Turnbull to ensure we got some money for our investment. Id expect the club to cash in in the summer.

He's wasted playing Kettlewell's style of football anyway. For his own development he needs quality coaching.

• Like 1

Just now, robsterwood said:

I don't want a manager that says top 6 is punching "well" above our league. We been top 6 loads over past 10 year. Is it such a massive ambition?

Well start a campaign to get him sacked then. No its not a massive ambition but we didn't deserve it over the piece this season . Maybe this is why our club needs more investment.

18 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

We could not have paid it. Clearly. And he's done nothing for them anyway. Hasn't scored a single goal. 

On reflection was a good thing we did not sign Kevin Van Veen back , and I was a big fan too 

33 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Kettlewell. "If we get top six we're punching well above our weight,

that's shite! Kilmarnock Dundee and St Mirren made it with similar budgets. 

DOes anyone think we would be punching well above our weight to get top 6? Mccall did it easily. As did Robinson 

He said that in context of a wider interview. Which you've taken one sentence from. And he looked completely gutted that we didn't get top six. You could see looking from that interview how upset he was that we didn't get top six. From the start of the interview 

52 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Similar fan base similar finances. Killie we re showing more ambition. Although they didn't need van veen. They also got great manager 

Billy Bowie a director of Kilmarnock and his company who are one of Killies main sponsors personally funded Van Veens wages reputed to be 6k pw and their playing budget this season is considerably higher than ours so not a good comparison.

And yes they have a good manager who also doesn't come cheap.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

On reflection was a good thing we did not sign Kevin Van Veen back , and I was a big fan too 

I agree. And me too. Big fan. 

Like it should have been obvious that Kev wasn't match fit and would struggle. Dropping out of the race to sign him was sensible in my view 

14 minutes ago, santheman said:

Billy Bowie a director of Kilmarnock and his company who are one of Killies main sponsors personally funded Van Veens wages reputed to be 6k pw and their playing budget this season is considerably higher than ours so not a good comparison.

And yes they have a good manager who also doesn't come cheap.

We have a good manager too. And very underrated at that as far as I'm concerned. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

He said that in context of a wider interview. Which you've taken one sentence from. And he looked completely gutted that we didn't get top six. You could see looking from that interview how upset he was that we didn't get top six. From the start of the interview 

See that mate. It's not over ambition to be top 6 though 

13 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

See that mate. It's not over ambition to be top 6 though 

I made it clear that Kettlewell was gutted not to be top six. You think I don't want Motherwell to be top six? Like someone else said. Maybe if we hadn't lost Mika things would have been a lot different. It's been a rotten season for us with injuries and losing Mika and Spencer. We've done well to be where we are in my view 

• Like 1

Hibs supporter and Aberdeen supporters have every right to be pouring over the post mortem this evening. Two relatively massive clubs in our league who have underperformed yet again.

The stand out team for me has been St Mirren. Top six for the second year in a row. They have shown the difference a good manager makes. Robinson did it with us and now St Mirren. Mind-blowing to think that there was Motherwell fans that argued from the time Robinson arrived with us that he was not up to the standard of our league.

As for us, Kettlewell has met his target once again. To keep us in the division. The victory at Ibrox apart it has been a very mediocre season but there is still the possibility of finishing best of the rest for the second year in a row which from an objective perspective is about exactly where we do weigh in.

I would be lying if I said that I was not slightly underwhelmed by this season but I always remind myself that we remain one of only three teams to stay in the top division spanning over the last five decades. It is an extraordinary achievement and looks like continuing for at least one season more.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, star sail said:

Hibs supporter and Aberdeen supporters have every right to be pouring over the post mortem this evening. Two relatively massive clubs in our league who have underperformed yet again.

The stand out team for me has been St Mirren. Top six for the second year in a row. They have shown the difference a good manager makes. Robinson did it with us and now St Mirren. Mind-blowing to think that there was Motherwell fans that argued from the time Robinson arrived with us that he was not up to the standard of our league.

As for us, Kettlewell has met his target once again. To keep us in the division. The victory at Ibrox apart it has been a very mediocre season but there is still the possibility of finishing best of the rest for the second year in a row which from an objective perspective is about exactly where we do weigh in.

I would be lying if I said that I was not slightly underwhelmed by this season but I always remind myself that we remain one of only three teams to stay in the top division spanning over the last five decades. It is an extraordinary achievement and looks like continuing for at least one season more.

We were in free fall when Robbo left us. I never thought he wasn't up to the standard but we were tenth when he left. I honestly hate St Mirren. I think they are a Diddy team punching above their weight and they can fuck right off. Yeah Robbo has done a good job with them but I support Motherwell. I don't care about them. 

There are Motherwell fans on pie and bov congratulating them. Id drop dead first sorry 

1 hour ago, robsterwood said:

I don't want a manager that says top 6 is punching "well" above our league. We been top 6 loads over past 10 year. Is it such a massive ambition?

4 times in the last 10 seasons. Wouldn't be my definition of loads.

Just now, johnstone said:

Draw was a fair result.

Wind affected both teams.

Kelly was magnificent and I think today showed that we will miss him If he goes.

Nicholson deserves a start, felt he changed the game for us.

Kelly was outstanding today to be fair 

I think that most on here would agree that if it was all down to finances then year in year out the top six would be Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and A.N.Other between us, STM, STJ and Killie (and DUTD when they get back up).
I don’t think us making top six is punching above our weight but at the moment outwith the old scum and Hearts it is down to manager/squad and a slice of luck which teams make it, unfortunately this season we fell short. 

Was talking to some Celtic supporters this week about Theo Bair and said he must be the biggest player in the league.

Well I wanted to know for sure....so I did the research.

Top Ten Units in the Scottish Premier League (height x weight, goalkeepers excluded).

1. Theo Bair (Motherwell)

2. Ricki Lamie (Dundee)

3. Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic)

4. Michael Nottingham (Livingston)

5. Leo Balogun (Rangers)

6. Dante Polvara (Aberdeen)

7. James Scott (St Mirren)

8. Stephen O'Donnell (Motherwell)

9. Charles Dunne (St Mirren)

10. Dan Casey (Motherwell)

2 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Was talking to some Celtic supporters this week about Theo Bair and said he must be the biggest player in the league.

Well I wanted to know for sure....so I did the research.

Top Ten Units in the Scottish Premier League (height x weight, goalkeepers excluded).

1. Theo Bair (Motherwell)

2. Ricki Lamie (Dundee)

3. Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic)

4. Michael Nottingham (Livingston)

5. Leo Balogun (Rangers)

6. Dante Polvara (Aberdeen)

7. James Scott (St Mirren)

8. Stephen O'Donnell (Motherwell)

9. Charles Dunne (St Mirren)

10. Dan Casey (Motherwell)

Surprised Bevis isnt on that list.....

51 minutes ago, star sail said:

As Sportsound kept telling us ad infinitum. Had I not been at the game I wouldn't have known who had spoiled Hibs' chances of top 6 spot.  Very inconsiderate of us not allowing them to win.

The wind spoiled the game today.

Thought we started the brighter although Hibs grew into it and were the more dangerous team for 10 -15 minutes in the middle of the half.

Thought we might have got the advantage with the wind behind us but it didnt really seem to pan out that way.

Pretty scrappy second half and although Kelly made a couple of good saves, I didnt think there was much between the teams.

SK's substitutions continue to baffle me. I felt sure we were going to a back 4 when he took SOD off for Nicholson which would have been the obvious move, so to see Nicholson playing wing back seemed weird and didnt really play to his strengths

Taking off both Miller and Spittal and firing on 2 forward players when we already had Bair and Moses on the pitch seemed a bit mental, albeit we ultimately got the equaliser.

It felt that we got it in spite of the changes not because of them.

Mental to think we should have won it at the end with Shaws chance.

9 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Surprised Bevis isnt on that list.....

To be honest not too sure about some of the figures stated for players but that's how it works out.

We all know wee Dougie used to add a few inches on to his height!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

At some point we will have to go for it. I think we looked like we wanted to make sure we didn’t over commit in attack and let hibs break. 

Very much so. I wouldn't have advocated a Charge of the Light Brigade approach, but oh dear we looked very reluctant to commit fully to attack until the very late cavalry charge. We seemed to lack self belief, we we dug deep and showed character to snatch a late levelller through a fantastic Blaney strike.

The wind certainly spoiled proceedings but I thought Hibs coped better. That said they were pretty toothless and had to rely on a very soft penalty (apologies BBC) to score.

Although the players put in a lacklustre error strewn perfomance, I thought our starting line uop was wrong. Bair was, all too often, left isolated with Vale completely wasted in a wide, deep role. Please, please him alongside Bair in the remaining fixtures.

Hibs began to exert prerssure after the break and you could feel we were going to concede. Maybe around the 55 minute mark was the time for change. I'd have hooked an out of form Spittal for Nicholson at that point. I didn't see the point the point in taking off Vale later on and bringing Shaw on. Nicholson for SOD??

Gent was my MOTM and it was a shame that all too often, no-one was there to get on the end of his crosses. Kelly too had a good game. Spittal is not performing at the moment and maybe its time now to bring in Nicholson, depending on what his position is with SK. Davor to me flatters to deceive. A busy player he isn't a great passer of the ball and is a bit lightweight, as we saw today against bigger and more aggressive opponents. 

Plenty of police activity and blue sirens post match with the odd sight of Police horses going through Brandon Parade. No doubt some after match action.

Again apologies to the BBC for spoiling Hibs' day.