The Steelmen of the 70’s

SteelmaninOZ

The first game I ever went to was, I think, in the 70-71 season. From 1970 - 1984 (very much my formative Motherwell years) we only had a hoop on the shirt for part of one season, which is no doubt why I'm not as attached to it as some.

Wulie P and Bobby Graham etc. will always be the claret diagonal for me.

1 hour ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

📽️ Enjoy 

some cracking Motherwell kits 

and cracking players who wore them 

Pitches like ploughed fields, games played at walking pace at times, standing on open terraces in all weathers, no comparison with today's game but we enjoyed it allegedly 😬

37 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The first game I ever went to was, I think, in the 70-71 season. From 1970 - 1984 (very much my formative Motherwell years) we only had a hoop on the shirt for part of one season, which is no doubt why I'm not as attached to it as some.

Wulie P and Bobby Graham etc. will always be the claret diagonal for me.

First game was 72 for me i think, was the amber kit with claret trim and no band or diagonal with 'MFC' in script rather than a badge. 

First Season Ticket was first season of the 10 team premier league (75-76 maybe ??) but went to all home games the season before (excluding OF games which my old man wouldn't take me to until my first ST year). 

Two games in there which remind me why I hate Rangers so much, 2-0 up in both and cheated, once by their scummy fans and the other by the officials.

Plus (although my memory is a bit hazy on this), the Hibs game where we almost got to Europe for the first time, the one where Willie P lobbed the keeper from 20 yards, I think it finished 3-3 and we finished just behind them in the league.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Two games in there which remind me why I hate Rangers so much, 2-0 up in both and cheated, once by their scummy fans and the other by the officials.

Plus (although my memory is a bit hazy on this), the Hibs game where we almost got to Europe for the first time, the one where Willie P lobbed the keeper from 20 yards, I think it finished 3-3 and we finished just behind them in the league.

I might be wrong but I think that Pettigrew lob was in the 2-2 cup quarter final, which was followed up with a replay draw at Easter Road and ended with a 2-1 win at a neutral venue (Ibrox). As you say, that cup run ended with one Masonic ref giving Rangers a penalty when Derek Johnstone stepped on the ball about 2 yards outside the box but managed to land on the penalty spot. The scum went on to win 3-2 and the ref was later found guilty of taking bribes over a European game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

I might be wrong but I think that Pettigrew lob was in the 2-2 cup quarter final, which was followed up with a replay draw at Easter Road and ended with a 2-1 win at a neutral venue (Ibrox). As you say, that cup run ended with one Masonic ref giving Rangers a penalty when Derek Johnstone stepped on the ball about 2 yards outside the box but managed to land on the penalty spot. The scum went on to win 3-2 and the ref was later found guilty of taking bribes over a European game.

JRP Gordon

28 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Yes, I think you are right. I went to look at the league table from then and we finished 3 pts behind Hibs (2 pts for a win in those days). Hearts finished behind us in the league but qualified for Europe as runners up in the cup. A final we should have competed in were it not for the afore mentioned disgrace.

26 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

JRP Gordon

If we're talking about the 1976 SC semi-final, then yes, it was one of the worst refereeing display of all time. Willie P chopped in the box by Greig at the Rangers End at 2-0 up, IIRC, and then a Derek Johnstone swallow dive minutes later outside the box   with the ref miles behind play but still able to award a penalty.

As BB says, JRP Gordon was   found guilty of taking a bung in a European tie  a little  later. A few years later I encountered  a 'Well player from that night who mentioned very strange events at HT. That and the 1978 3-5 game at FP merely confirmed my ultra-dim view of "The King's XI".

16 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Yes, I think you are right. I went to look at the league table from then and we finished 3 pts behind Hibs (2 pts for a win in those days). Hearts finished behind us in the league but qualified for Europe as runners up in the cup. A final we should have competed in were it not for the afore mentioned disgrace.

Yup, correct. I was 12 when that semi took place and I remember my old man literally dragging me back to the car in fucking tears. I was inconsolable for a week. Didn't help that I went to a school full of H*ns, none of whom had ever seen the inside of a football ground. After disposing of Celtic and Hibs in that cup run (and I think Arbroath if my memory serves), we'd already eliminated two of the top three and were well on the way to disposing of the third until the masons stepped in. That really was a year we should have seen a cup win !

6 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Yup, correct. I was 12 when that semi took place and I remember my old man literally dragging me back to the car in fucking tears. I was inconsolable for a week. Didn't help that I went to a school full of H*ns, none of whom had ever seen the inside of a football ground. After disposing of Celtic and Hibs in that cup run (and I think Arbroath if my memory serves), we'd already eliminated two of the top three and were well on the way to disposing of the third until the masons stepped in. That really was a year we should have seen a cup win !

Cowdenbeath were our 4th round opponents. Half of Lanarkshire descended on Fife that day.

1 minute ago, steelman1991 said:

Cowdenbeath were our 4th round opponents. Half of Lanarkshire descended on Fife that day.

That was it.......knew it was in the far east.....wasn't a great game, did we win 2-0 or something ?

33 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

That was it.......knew it was in the far east.....wasn't a great game, did we win 2-0 or something ?

Yup, and it absolutely pished down for 90 minutes.

We did win a third or fourth round game v Arbroath about then, 4-0 I think. Possibly the year before, least said about that semi-final the better.

50 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

I remember that well. Was surprised walking to the ground just how many 'Well fans turned up.

Me and my dad often talk about going to the Cowdenbeath game. The 3-2 comeback against Celtic in the 3rd round probably fired everyone up, and that team could easily have beaten anyone on their day - losing those 2 semis was an education on being a Motherwell fan.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Me and my dad often talk about going to the Cowdenbeath game. The 3-2 comeback against Celtic in the 3rd round probably fired everyone up, and that team could easily have beaten anyone on their day - losing those 2 semis was an education on being a Motherwell fan.

It was an education on corrupt referee's.

19 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

My education was also very much delivered in the 1975 Airdrie cup semi. I still have the scarf I bought for that game in case I ever forget.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, weeyin said:

My education was also very much delivered in the 1975 Airdrie cup semi. I still have the scarf I bought for that game in case I ever forget.

The one and only time, I think the 4 step rule was ever used. Though I might be a little biased in that comment.

9 hours ago, grumpy said:

Yup, and it absolutely pished down for 90 minutes.

We did win a third or fourth round game v Arbroath about then, 4-0 I think. Possibly the year before, least said about that semi-final the better.

That Arbroath game I'm sure was during Roger Hynd's time in charge 1977/78 and was a third round tie. I think we went on a fairly long unbeaten run after he took charge earlier in the year and after beating Arbroath we were drawn at home to an Alan Mackin inspired Queens Park at home in the next round. I was convinced we were going all the way. The draw was concluded as we made our way home and when it was announced on the radio the bus went mental. Then the inevitable doing from Queens Park brought us down to earth - that was the start of the inevitable slide that utlimately cost Hynd his job.

The team of the mid seventies was the best Well team that I've seen since I was taken to Fir Park as a toddler. It had everything, although it might  be frowned upon by some of today's fans. 

Football was a lot simpler in those days. Limited TV coverage, less exposure of English football and more limited fan expectations.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Then the inevitable doing from Queens Park brought us down to earth - that was the start of the inevitable slide that utlimately cost Hynd his job.

And then he rolled up as my PE teacher. If he treated the players anything like he treated kids, no surprise he was sacked.

• Like 1