St Mirren V Hibs

TAM

I can't see Rangers losing to that Hibs side on Sunday. We can win on Saturday, and we will. Funny how we were depending on one half of the Old Squirm at the end of last season, now we need the other lot to do us a wee favour!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good result, a draw was fine with me because I didn't think we had a realistic chance of overturning the goal difference after the defeat at Ibrox.

17/09/06 Hibs 2 Rangers 1

04/03/06 Hibs 0 Rangers 2

29/12/07 Hibs 1 Rangers 2

04/05/08 Hibs 0 Rangers 0

28/09/08 Hibs 0 Rangers 3

Form looks good in terms of Rangers record at Easter Road. It's up to us to bury St. Mirren. Basically if we can't defeat a relegation battler at home in a game as important as this then we don't deserve to finish Top Six.

Should be exciting on Saturday! :mellow::mellow:

I can't see Rangers losing to that Hibs side on Sunday. We can win on Saturday, and we will. Funny how we were depending on one half of the Old Squirm at the end of last season, now we need the other lot to do us a wee favour!

We can win on Saturday and we may! I thought St Mirren have played very well the last game and a half against the Gers and Hibs tonight. Whilst they could have lost at the end how it was 1-1 at half time was a travesty.

If St Mirren turn up at Fir Park with that energy then it will be a VERY tough 90 mins. I wish I was as confident as you Rickoza.

Still a draw was a good result and better than a Hibs win that would have given us virtually no chance. Dorman is very much the danger man - stick Klimp on him and don't let him out of his sight! Dargo looks like he is getting back to his PEST again and that wee bugger always seemed to score against us :mellow:

I will miss the game as someone I know has organised his wedding on the same day :mellow: And that will take a half dozen well fans away from the game on Sat. Still we should get to see the first half before the church bells chime.

A good result for us tonight. Rangers must have a reasonable chance of picking up at least a point at Easter Road surely? However for us to have any chance of making the cut we have to beat St Mirren and that will be very difficult indeed. We've struggled badly against them this season and the game's on TV - not a good omen.

If you were offered the deal at the start of the season that we would be top 6 if, in a one-off game, we can beat the Buddies at home, would you have taken it - I'm guessing yes?
If it guaranteed top 6, then yes. This is Motherwell we are talking about, however, so expect us to run out 3 goal winners and Hibs to get a jammy 96th minute winner. :mellow:

The way St Mirren played last night vs the way we played on Saturday = only one winner I'm afraid (and it ain't us)

We seriously need to grow a set of live TV haw maws and go for a result to get top 6.

if we go out like we did against Kilmarnock a couple of weeks back than frankly we dont deserve anything. This live TV nonsense has to stop. Forget the hoodoo - get out there and play with some urgency and heart!

We seriously need the team to turn up!

I don't expect anything on prices btw - this could be our last decent gate of the season. I think it will be full price.

So.....after all is said and done, all we need to do to change the entire perception of how the season is viewed, regardless or Europe, and achieve an entirely acceptable outcome, is beat a 2nd bottom of the league St Mirren who haven't won in the SPL in 2009.

As others have said, if we can't do that then we deserve to be exactly where we are right now. Bottom six.

Our home record againt St Mirren hasn't been overly impressive though...

2000/2001 Wed 29 Nov Motherwell 2 - 0 St. Mirren

2000/2001 Sun 20 May Motherwell 3 - 3 St. Mirren

2006/2007 Sat 04 Nov Motherwell 0 - 0 St. Mirren

2006/2007 Sat 12 May Motherwell 2 - 3 St. Mirren

2007/2008 Sat 03 Nov Motherwell 1 - 1 St. Mirren

2008/2009 Sat 27 Sep Motherwell 2 - 1 St. Mirren

2008/2009 Sat 07 Feb Motherwell 1 - 1 St. Mirren

(stats from footie mad)

so out of our last seven home games against them, we have only won two.

St. Mirren were very unlucky not to win last night but it did come down to ability (or lack of) to take chances. I'd love to be proven wrong but, on the evidence of last night's display, I think we'll struggle to beat St. Mirren as we haven't been taking our chances either.

With Aberdeen and Dundee Utd. winning on saturday I think Europe's a bit beyond us now but I'd much prefer to be playing in the top six than watching a relegation scrap we're safe from.

Am I the only one who thinks that was a bad result for us last night ? It puts Hibs a point ahead of us with a superior goal difference, so we have to beat St Mirren on Saturday and hope that Hibs do not beat Rangers. If we lose or draw then the game's a bogey. As Well_Jaggy points out we have a dreadful record against St Mirren - even worse in big matches we have to win against them - two Scottish Cup games in recent seasons plus the "relegation decider" two seasons ago. That point Hibs picked up last night was not good for us at all - especially as we cannot have faith in producing a win when we need it - not exactly been able to when it came to the crunch earlier in the season.

We'll look back on this season and realise our poor start coupled with too much focus on Nancy and then a complete collapse after that has meant that the almost miraculous recovery after Christmas was not enough - though had we beaten Kilmarnock and Aberdeen these past few weeks we would have nothing to worry about.

I hope to god I'm wrong - but St Mirren at home live on TV in a match we have to win - not been a successful combination for us.

Stuart.

Yeah, of course we all would have liked for Hibs tp fail and not pick up a point at all, thats as clear as day for me. But, would you rather still be in the race for Top 6 come this afternoon or be totally out of it staring at Bottom 6 fixtures already? Least we have ONE LAST CHANCE to get that spot and its down to us to do what we have to do. If we win against St Mirren - Hibs have to match us. A draw against Rangers is not good enough for them.

I'd rather have this scenario than none at all.

Sort of missing my point. I didn't say anything about wishing we were already out if it. I was making the point that any points Hibs are picking up at the moment are not good for us. Makes our job harder.

Had they lost last night then a draw might have been enough for us against St Mirren - because they drew we HAVE to win. There is no margin for error.

Stuart.

Again, yes, certainly! I do see where your coming from, Hibs picking up one point means theres no margin for error and its simple as saying if we lose or draw our season is done. It all comes down to winning on Saturday, we all know that and the players do too, they know what has to be done.

Even if Hibs never picked up a point last night I'd honestly feel we'd still need all 3 points against St Mirren still because we know Hibs can give Rangers a game at Easter Road and they may walk away with a point there too.

All I am saying and how I feel is we need the three points albeit Hibs had lost or drawn last night.

Fuck sake guys, a bit of faith in the team naw? We have a team that are fully capable of blowing St Mirren to pieces and while we may not perform week in week out, i have the utmost confidence we will win on saturday.

Lets get right behind them for once instead of all the doom and gloom? Who expected in December that we would be anywhere near where we are now. Havent we only lost twice in our last 14 games or something?

In about these c***s, nae bother Motherwell!

Am I the only one who thinks that was a bad result for us last night ? It puts Hibs a point ahead of us with a superior goal difference, so we have to beat St Mirren on Saturday and hope that Hibs do not beat Rangers. If we lose or draw then the game's a bogey. As Well_Jaggy points out we have a dreadful record against St Mirren - even worse in big matches we have to win against them - two Scottish Cup games in recent seasons plus the "relegation decider" two seasons ago. That point Hibs picked up last night was not good for us at all - especially as we cannot have faith in producing a win when we need it - not exactly been able to when it came to the crunch earlier in the season.

I was making the point that any points Hibs are picking up at the moment are not good for us. Makes our job harder.

Had they lost last night then a draw might have been enough for us against St Mirren - because they drew we HAVE to win. There is no margin for error.

Stuart.

I don't see it as a bad result at all to be honest.

A bad result for me would have been a Hibs which would have made it highly unlikely that we would have been able to turn around the goal difference even if both results went our way this weekend.

Preference ofcourse would have been a healthy St Mirren win last night, but after our failure to take anything at Ibrox I believe we were always going to have to beat St Mirren this weekend to make it.

Even if Hibs had lost last night for us to finish 6th by virtue of drawing with the Buds this weekend you would have been looking for Rangers to win by a certain number of goals. Ofcourse that could still happen but I don't really see that happening. It just doesn't seem in that Rangers side or manager's mentality to go out and bury teams.

The task we face is now a simple win. Its a must win. I have faith in the team that we can do it. Then we'll see what Sunday brings.