In's And Out's

AndyRoss

maybe the new manager has already been decided but he has asked for a transfer pot for some players he has already identified?

Selling DC and quinn might be our way of financing the replacements needed for our squad.

looks like next season may start like Kampman's season and we have to guess who the players are in the first games we go to

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone, once again, has been asleep at the wheel at Motherwell in terms of forward planning. McGhee must shoulder a huge ammount of this blame, but Boyle also will be involved in the dealing of contracts surely? To whose benefit is this current situation? If the fans can see it coming then surely the powers that be can?

What can the club possibly do??? Smith, Hughes and McLean have been offered contracts - they haven't signed them nor have they signed for someone else as yet. We can't force players to re-sign.

I would imagine that these contracts are still on offer unless they have completely rejected them already and i wouldn't rush out and break the bank to keep any of them.

To be honest, even if McGhee had stayed, Smith, Hughes and Kimpl didn't seem interested in staying.

As Melvin Bragg said, the money brought in from selling Clarkson has to measured against what we would lose if we were to be relegated. Which is what will happen. Had Hughes, Buzz, Klimpl, possibly and worryingly increasingly looking like McLean NOT been leaving then you would maybe be able to hold your hands up and say "Fair enough". But not like this. It's absolute suicide!

:P Eh? if/what... Deary me, post up this coming Saturdays Lotto numbers if you're that good. I'll get myself a right good habit to numb the pain. Keep the faith.

Hello all Bristol City fan here.

We're getting the same rumour's as you about Clarkson signing for us. I was just wondering what sort of striker we'd be getting if he did sign for us.

Our club has a policy of saying nothing about transfer's until they are signed sealed and delivered so we won't hear anything from them until then.

Thank's in advance and all the best for next season.

Hello all Bristol City fan here.

We're getting the same rumour's as you about Clarkson signing for us. I was just wondering what sort of striker we'd be getting if he did sign for us.

Our club has a policy of saying nothing about transfer's until they are signed sealed and delivered so we won't hear anything from them until then.

Thank's in advance and all the best for next season.

He's got a great work rate and is a decent finisher apart from that but he's no that good. He goes down far to easily, falls over his own feet and a poor first touch. But good luck to him if he goes down south. He has been a great servant for the club and has really came on in the last two years under McGhee, sad to see him leave but what do we expect.

As Melvin Bragg said, the money brought in from selling Clarkson has to measured against what we would lose if we were to be relegated. Which is what will happen.
If you are running a book on that, I'll take a piece of the action on us not being relegated.

The more of a transfer kitty we have, the better calibre of manager we will be able to attract. Seems to me that someone has been promised they will have money to spend...and we're in the process of delivering that.

Seems strange to me that folk will complain that the team and the squad is looking stale, too many players are guaranteed of their place, so-and-so has gone as far as they can go....and yet when it looks like the squad is potentially being completely overhauled, with the chance to really freshen things up...thats still wrong?

Canny work out some folks way of thinking sometimes....

has really came on in the last two years under McGhee

That's a good point though...lets be honest, he wisnae exactly setting the heather alight before McGhee came here...so what evidence is there to say he'd continue with this development if he was to stay...?

As Melvin Bragg said, the money brought in from selling Clarkson has to measured against what we would lose if we were to be relegated. Which is what will happen. Had Hughes, Buzz, Klimpl, possibly and worryingly increasingly looking like McLean NOT been leaving then you would maybe be able to hold your hands up and say "Fair enough". But not like this. It's absolute suicide!

Anyone who thinks they new manager will be given a substantial chunk of money to replace these players should put down their crack pipe! None of Porters money was invested in the squad. Even St Mirren have managed to sign Higdon and Mair. Two players that would walk into Motherwells team.

Gutted if Clarkson leaves. Can't deny him his move and has been a fantastic servant to us. The timing is worse than abysmal though.

In a few of my posts this morning, I've mellowed my thinking. I still think DC will be a major loss, but IF the new guy is given some of the Clarkson and Quinn fees to spend (and the way the squad is, that has to be the case or no one will want the gig), then it could work out fine and dandy. As it is at the moment, no clubs have any money to spend. If we can get in some cash it puts us ahead of the rest of the SPL (two clubs excepted obviously) in terms of bargaining power. The only thing I would say is that any new manager would have asked about money to spend and now he may get it. Maybe the guy didn't know he'd have to do without his best striker to get his money to spend... :whistling:

If we use the cash to get 4 or 5 decent signings for at least a couple of years, hopefully we'll not be in the same boat next summer. I'd still rather have kept him in the hope that Muprhy was ready to make the step up for 2010/11, but due to Reynolds form tailing off, Clarkson was the main marketable asset. If you need to rebuild a squad, you need cash. Just need to hope that the new manager spends it wisely. And can get us putting crosses into the box all the time. Cos at the moment, John Sutton, you're het...

IF the tv deal doesn't happen, which could be the outcome, then how much of this so called transfer money will be used? I bet none of it!

If its a case of the club surviving or signing players then I know what I would pick...

Clarky's become an unassuming hero at the club and through mixed form and a couple of decent sized contracts has now been with us 8 years.

With him and Coach only two years off getting testimonials, I don't think we can begrudge them there moves. I think it's a testament to how good our youth system has been over the years, that we could have five players plying their trade in England's top two divisions (Faddy, Pearo, Clarky, Coach, Rossco*).

The image of Clarky with the 'Well scarf after the cup game at Tynecastle last year will live long in the memory. Whether out of position or out of the team he's never moaned, just worked harder to get better. Desrves all he get's from the game and all we can do is wish him good luck.

*- Know he wasn't ours but wouldn't be where he is just now without us.

Selling DC and quinn might be our way of financing the replacements needed for our squad.

But we would need to replace those two with that money and THEN go about getting the five or SIX signings we STILL need.

I don't know if £800,000 can get you an International Striker on £2000 a week!! :whistling:

We only have four players in our squad that scored last season in the league (If we take out Clarky and Quinn)

Sutton - 10

Murphy - 2

Fitzpatrick - 1

O'Brien - 1

So a grand total of 14 goals when we scored 46 goals last season (just under 70% lost).

If we lose Clarky, Quinn + Reynolds we will be left with a squad looking like this -

Fraser

Saunders,Craigan,Page,Hutchinson,Hammell

O`Brien,Lasley,McGarry,Fitzpatrick,Forbes,D.Smith

Murphy,Archdeacon,Sutton

and youths like McHugh,Meechan,McPake,Lawless,Slane

to be honest that squad fills me with absolute terror, to make that squad even competetive (finish 11th) in the SPL were gonna need a Keeper, 2 Defenders,2 Midfielders and at least 1 striker, so thats 6-7 players in. Now how much of this money we rake in will be spent on the transfers needed? £1m? , £500k?, £100k?

With how long its taking to pull the fucking finger out and actually get a manager, were missing out on any decent Bosman deals as all these guys are getting tied up now so we are going to HAVE to spend good money or we might as well restructure for the 1st Division cause thats the only place we will be going.Im not against selling these players, and the fees spoken about sound superb but in reality if we sell all 3,unless we spend the whole lot or a vast portion of it on replacements, how much more would relegation cost the club?

And I cant believe in a time when we need money our European venture is being dismissed so easily, with the money you get from UEFA for competing in and winning the first 2 rounds we could be £360k - £400k better off with the prospect of a live televised (or 2 games, home+away) game and big home gate against the likes of PSV,Hamburg,Fenerbace, Roma,Lille,Athletic Bilbao we could rake in £750k just for so called "pre season friendlies" as well as having a team who will be flying at the start of the season

At the moment we are 7 days away from the 1st competetive game of our season, with no manager, no appointment looking iminent,a squad of 14 players with spl experience and a few promoted youths, the 3 best players in that squad loooking like being away before the week is out and a now tricky tie against what is in all honesty a highland league level team

Hmmmmm, MFC Rollercoaster? MFC Car Crash more like