In's And Out's

AndyRoss

The Express are carrying the DC to Bristol C as well. Worried that they're only mentioning £600K though.

EXCLUSIVE; CITY TARGET CLARKSON IN CUT PRICE SWOOP

109808_1.jpg

TARGET; David Clarkson could go to Bristol City

Thursday June 25,2009

By Scott Burns

SCOTLAND striker David Clarkson is a £600,000 summer target for Bristol City.

Express Sport understands that talks have already taken place between the Championship outfit and Motherwell over the possible move.

City have still to table an offer but they know what Well want for their star asset and last season s top scorer.

Robins boss Gary Johnson has to decide whether to match their terms, knowing he could pick up Clarkson on freedom of contract this time next year.

Cardiff City are also interested in the Well star but they don t have the same financial muscle and manager Dave Jones has to sell before he can buy.

Motherwell are still searching for a new manager but are keen to sell Clarkson rather than lose him for nothing.

The Fir Park outfit are also in the same boat with Paul Quinn and Mark Reynolds in the last year of their deals.

Any money coming in would also allow Mark McGhee s successor to bring in his own new faces and to stamp his own authority on the squad.

Fir Park chairman John Boyle is still in the process of appointing his new manager.

The club have already interviewed Steve Staunton and Lawrie Sanchez and held talks with former Middlesbrough No. 2 Malcolm Crosby and ex-Stockport boss Jim Gannon.

Gannon is expected to be at Fir Park over the next 24 hours to hold face-to-face talks with Boyle.

Club captain Stephen Craigan is also likely to be involved in any new set-up.

Well hope to have their new boss in place before they kick off their European campaign next Thursday against Welsh side Llanelli.

If DC is off, I wish the bst of luck to the lad and thanks for the great service he has given our club.

That doesn't mean that I ain't going to be gutted though.

Looks like we may need the likes of McCart or Nijholt involved yet.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£600,000? Still cannot fathom out how Hibs are likely to command around £4 million for Steven Fletcher when our David topped the goalscoring charts outwith infirm players.

Well there's this myth that all Hibs youngsters are great players. On a slightly, and I stress slightly, more serious note, Fletcher will be on a larger salary and a longer term deal.

If Davie Clarkson is valued at say £600,000 by Bristol City then they'd double or treble that valuation if he played for an English lower league club. English clubs must read Scots messageboards and take the posts to heart - "Our game is rubbish.....". :wallbash:

If DC is off, I wish the best of luck to the lad and thanks for the great service he has given our club.

That doesn't mean that I ain't going to be gutted though.

Looks like we may need the likes of McCart or Nijholt involved yet.

Kind of sums up my feelings on the matter. I don't have a bad word to say about the guy and he would go with my very wishes. I'd still be pretty gutted he'd be going. Interesting thing is that the Express article states that the money would go to the new manager to re-shape the squad. Time will tell on that one. Thing is, I'm sure the candidates would have expressed a desire for money to spend. Don't know, though, if they'd want their top striker sold in order to have said money to spend...

Sair wan if true! For many reasons.

Best of luck to the lad.

If true. i'd sincerely hope we'd failed in an dogged attempt to put a 3yr contract with Hughes / Klimpl style wages and a favourable escape clause in front of the lad to keep him.

If that has failed then that's fair enough If not we're asleep behind the wheel.

All that being said - I'd never stand in that boy's way if that's what he wants - he's run himself into the ground for us.

This really is turning into a recipe for disaster, to lose your top goalscorer, your keeper, your so called creative midfielder, your right back..your right backs replacement and your manager.

Clarky's the big loss for me, the rest can be replaced within reason. But Clarky is Motherwell thru and thru, gives 100 percent effort every game and bangs in the goals. Players like him dont come around too often at the price we'd be paying.

I really hope if we're losing Quinn that Boyle has banged a contract infront of McLean. The team from two seasons ago has all but disappeared and we're far worse off.

If we're going to sell Clarkson in the next couple of days, I'd be on the blower to Livingston saying "I know you accepted a bid from Dundee for Griffiths, but we'll offer you a wee bit extra..." and re-route Griffiths to Fir Park for talks when he comes back from holiday rather than Dens...

I don't know how accurate the stories regarding Clarkson and Quinn are but if they are correct then I would hope that JB keeps them until the Europa League games (rounds 1 and if we qualify round 2) before selling them. This would help the club progress and give the new manager time to find replacements.

I'm somewhat saddened that we are verging on the end of an era.

While their form dipped at various times, both Clarkson and Quinn have been excellent products of the youth system. Even if we manage to succeed in replacing both players with similar quality, I fear that the heart is being ripped out the club.

I wish the pair of them all the best in the future and look forward to supporting them on Scotland duty. Paul Quinn in particular gets a hard time on here but I believe he has the ability and mentality to carve out a successful career.

I'm somewhat saddened that we are verging on the end of an era.

While their form dipped at various times, both Clarkson and Quinn have been excellent products of the youth system. Even if we manage to succeed in replacing both players with similar quality, I fear that the heart is being ripped out the club.

Can only echo those sentiments. I think we'll find it difficult to replace these two guys with anything like the same quality of player, but worse than that we're going to lose two guys who would have run through brick walls (and in Clarkson's case, often did) for the club...

Clarky's the big loss for me, the rest can be replaced within reason. But Clarky is Motherwell thru and thru, gives 100 percent effort every game and bangs in the goals.

But presumably, if the rumours are correct, not quite "Motherwell thru and thru" enough that he wants to stay at Motherwell...

But presumably, if the rumours are correct, not quite "Motherwell thru and thru" enough that he wants to stay at Motherwell...

Could argue that if he didn't give a toss about the club he'd be refusing to go, waiting the year out and leaving for nothing next summer. Just another way to look at it...

Well you do have the commercial staff, the pr staff, the hospitality staff, etc, etc

So I was pointing out to save confussion that it came from within the actual football department, not from the other departments within the club.

Aye, I know that WUFI - try not to get anybody in bother mate.

Folk either believe you have a good source or they don't that's the way it is.

Don't put your source at risk mate - as leaking of info isny that clever - happens all the time I know - but its a bit risky

FFS!!! is this club intent on self imploding?????

£600-800K christ almighty you would be lucky to find a player in league 1 down south for that kind of cash and here we are getting rid of our best (international) striker and some folk on here are saying that seems fair?? Logic people????

My god we had a pathetically small squad last season which realistically we needed to add 5 or 6 players who could play first team football in my opinion, that was before this Clarkson leaving, possibly Quinn and Mclean. Now we need what possibly 10? players between now and August?? I buy a season ticket to put money into a club which I hope will make steady improvements, but this is actually ridiculous. Realistic SPL survival team needed for next season:

------------------------------------New Keeper (Fraser on ICT form not good enough)

New right back----------------Craigan----------------Reynolds-------------Hammell

New right midfiled-----------New Central Midefiled--------Lasley-----------New left midfield

---------------------New Striker--------------------New Striker

Bench:

Fraser

New Defensive Cover

New Midfield Cover

New Midfield Cover

Obrien

Mcgarry

Fitzpatrick

Sutton

There is a difference though. I am Motherwell through and through, but if I had been at Well for 6/7 years, given it everything in that time and a team in England/Europe came in for me offering me more money and more exposure then regardless of my leanings, I couldn't move to my new club quick enough.

I hope that's meant tongue in cheek?

Clarkson has busted a gut for this club year after year. Despite dips in confidence and a ridiculous amount of abuse from the stands (which he never moaned about and never reacted to - Fagan anyone?) he continued to put heart and soul into every game and has started to show in the last couple of years, the fulfillment of his potential.

If there is one player to whom no Well fan should begrudge a move, it's Clarkson.

This is really bad news.

It also shows the need to get a manager in really quickly - the start of next week at the latest I'd say!

We can't add to the squad without a manager and it appears we don't really have much of a chance to keep our best players eithier.

Clarky has been a brilliant servant to MFC and I wish him all the very best in the Championship , hopefully we'll see him back at FP in the not too distant future.

Aye, I know that WUFI - try not to get anybody in bother mate.

Folk either believe you have a good source or they don't that's the way it is.

Don't put your source at risk mate - as leaking of info isny that clever - happens all the time I know - but its a bit risky

Thats the extent of it, aye.

I've put it out there anyway, folk can make up their own minds - just remember where you heard it first!! :rolleyes:

FFS!!! is this club intent on self imploding?????

£600-800K christ almighty you would be lucky to find a player in league 1 down south for that kind of cash and here we are getting rid of our best (international) striker and some folk on here are saying that seems fair?? Logic people????

My god we had a pathetically small squad last season which realistically we needed to add 5 or 6 players who could play first team football in my opinion, that was before this Clarkson leaving, possibly Quinn and Mclean. Now we need what possibly 10? players between now and August?? I buy a season ticket to put money into a club which I hope will make steady improvements, but this is actually ridiculous. Realistic SPL survival team needed for next season:

------------------------------------New Keeper (Fraser on ICT form not good enough)

New right back----------------Craigan----------------Reynolds-------------Hammell

New right midfiled-----------New Central Midefiled--------Lasley-----------New left midfield

---------------------New Striker--------------------New Striker

Bench:

Fraser

New Defensive Cover

New Midfield Cover

New Midfield Cover

Obrien

Mcgarry

Fitzpatrick

Sutton

Give the boy Fraser a chance, never a stand out for me but never had him down as liability either. He might do better than we think. I'd also have no serious objections to O'Brien starting right mid. I think Jamie Murphy at least deserves a place on the bench and Sutton not my favourite but proven he can nick a few goals. Fitzpatrick and lasley is not a midfield central pairing I think we can get by with but short term I think they will put a shift in and maybe do better than expected. McGarry I written off, decent player but can't seem to stay fit enough to be any real use. Certainly do need about a dozen new faces, though you can probably add the lads Saunders, Hutchison and Page to defensive cover section.

Time and hopefully a bit of cash is there yet to fill that out a bit.