In's And Out's

AndyRoss

Dont know if this has been mentioned already sorry if it has.

Mcghee seemingly accepted a 40k transfer from Celtic before he left. This was then cancelled when he left as it wasnt complete.

You would be hard pushed to let him leave for less that 500k. Lets get the contract sorted out.

Where did you hear this mate?? If indeed it is true then McDick is a bigger fud than even I thought.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After hitting the ripe old age of 22 I've realised I couldn't give a fuck about Slane leaving because we have always coped with losing players. And always will!

If by 'being treated better' you mean signing the boy up before he'd even kicked a ball for the 1st team, I think you're asking a lot of the club.

It's really really tough to assess whether a guy of 16/17 has a long term future at this level. For any player first team regular or otherwise a five year deal will cost the club a substantial sum of money and if in the end they don't make the grade then it's an expensive waste. I guess that's what the coaching system is all about but when you have the kind of money we do then it's still never easy.

The problem isn't players forgetting who brought them through the ranks, Paul Slane could break his leg against Steau and it would be the end of his career. You've got to move up the ladder and take the cash when you get the chance. The problem is the OF waiting in the wings to swoop when these types of guys come through without paying any decent compensation.

The loss of 7-8 first team regulars coinciding with Gannon arriving is about as much good luck as Slane will ever have. He's took the chance and if he moves on fair enough.

(dunno if I just contradicted myself there but there was a lot of thoughts swirling round!)

So when he played in a couple of friendlies last year he looked great to us all. And McGhee was raving about him "the new Robbie Keane" if I recall.

I'm sure he picked up an injury not long after that - however never came anywhere near the first team after that and plugged away in the u19s

The 40K deal inbetween times is news

Then he comes back in next pre season and is a revelation again.

Lets just hope Gannon sorts it out.

All of us know that we sell players and move on. But there's a chance this guy can develop into a really good prospect before moving on in a decent deal that will benefit more the player and the club.

The thing now is that the dynamic is changing with regard to young Scottish players and how their careers are moving on...

In the past the old firm would sniff about, put in silly offers and often our hands would be tied to sell at a knockdown price due to lack of alternative or as it being seen as a kid's only chance at a crack at the big time.

Recently however, we have seen English teams start to take an interest again and take a chance on our young players.

Previously McCarthy, Easton et al would have gone to the o/f whereas now the spending power of the English clubs, even at championship level, can blow the old firm out of the water both in terms of transfer fee and wages. This is leading to us (and lets be honest the agents) getting more reasonable fees.

The good thing from a Motherwell point of view is that over the past few seasons the club's profile has been raised for a variety of reasons. We are on the radar of clubs down south and we are now in a position where we have a certain amount of leverage with the o/f.

Slane is at a club where they have just employed a new manager who has a big reputation for giving youth a chance. He is now in the position where he has a good season or two ahead of him where he can expect to play at least semi-regularly for the our first team in the SPL.

Only a total mongo would choose this as the time to move to Celtic and languish in their 19s / reserves for, realistically, another couple of seasons before the chance of first team football comes round again.

IMO There is no way he will leave, and based on his recent performances and visible potential, there's no way MFC would accept any kind of derisory offer, and there is no way Gammon will allow his contract to peter out to nothing

Slane is at a club where they have just employed a new manager who has a big reputation for giving youth a chance. He is now in the position where he has a good season or two ahead of him where he can expect to play at least semi-regularly for the our first team in the SPL.

Only a total mongo would choose this as the time to move to Celtic and languish in their 19s / reserves for, realistically, another couple of seasons before the chance of first team football comes round again.

IMO There is no way he will leave, and based on his recent performances and visible potential, there's no way MFC would accept any kind of derisory offer, and there is no way Gammon will allow his contract to peter out to nothing

I agree with everything you say except the last point. If Slane decides he fancies bigger things, assuming options are there in reality and not just media/agents imagination then nothing in the world the manager can do to make him sign a new contract and not allow his contract to peter out. Gannon does seem to rate him and if he does I'm sure will do everything he can to nurture his talent and bring him on and develop him at our club.

I'd hope the player has been happy at the club, sees the opportunity to establish himself here and ideally fulfills his potential and we get the best result for both parties of him moving on one day to a big club to get rewards that come with it whilst we get compensated by a big cheque to reinvest in squad/youth development etc and with no ill feeling having seen him roast opposition fullbacks for least a couple of seasons. A bit like how McFadden handled himself.

The boy has done amazing against some pretty questionable opposition. He looks the part, but lets see how he does against Steaua and in the SPL. If is still performing as well then lets worry about contracts. Still way too early for us to be questioning his future at the club!