Mmg Off To Celtic

Easy Target

A couple of days ago we'd heard very little from McGhee regarding the whole situation. This led me to believe that he would be staying on at Fir Park for at least another season. Seeing the quotes in the Sunday Herald have resigned me to the fact that he is leaving.

I've got mixed emotions on him moving on; on one hand, he took us to third place, made us play some cracking football and led us through some difficult times. On the other hand, we had his ridiculous team selections in big games, his contraversial talking to the media ("like I give a monkeys what they think" / "this is the best football the fans have seen in 40 years") and the worst part of his reign at FP for me was when we'd just been beaten by Celtic and he went up and started hugging and laughing with one of the guys on the Celtic coaching team. I know they'd had a wee argument a few minutes before, and that they were old friends, but still not very good after just being beaten.

From a footballing point of view, it will be disappointing to see him leave. I thought I would actually be quite gutted to see him go. I've realised that, however, we will inevitably move on from this. We'll appoint a new manager, and whoever he may be, he will come in with his own new methods, tactics, contacts and managerial style. It's important we get somebody in sharpish, but at the same time it's important we don't rush into anything. Hopefully Mr Boyle can give us a decent appointment, and Motherwell FC can move on from here.

Mon the 'Well.

G'

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aberdeen may be a side-step career wise, but as Mcghee says it is a step up in regards to what the job means to him. Imagine if you played for Aberdeen and Motherwell wanted to sign you, you would jump at it-despite how it may look like a side-step.

I will be sorry if he goes as the gaffer has done a tremendous job with the team and was always genuine and upfront anytime I had to speak to him.

However, I think we knew early on in his first season that his eye was always on bigger and better things, no matter what they may be. Despite this, his commitment to the club for me isn't in question.

McGhee has steadied a sinking ship, which was no easy task. We are now on a firm footing on the park as well as off it when other "bigger" clubs are crumbling around us in a haze of duff football and dire bank balances.

If he goes I wish him all the best (within reason of course!) and hope that we can use him as much as he has used us as a springboard to bigger and better things.

Scott

Aberdeen can have McGhee and we can discuss compensation for that. But Clarkson for £300,000??? Away and bite ma shite...

Spot on mate.

If he ends up with Hughes and maybe Buzz they Motherwell have been taken for a ride.

Boyle must ensure that the likes of Clarky and Quinn go nowhere near Pittodrie.

Spot on mate.

Boyle must ensure that the likes of Clarky and Quinn go nowhere near Pittodrie.

Not overly concerned that they might have an interest in Smith and Hughes - they signalled their intention to leave months ago anyway.

Like others, I'd be much more concerned about their interest in Clarky. Just curious - how did the Sunday Herald come up with a valutaion of £300,000? Presumably it was just creative journalism? :rolleyes:

I've no problem with him going to Aberdeen per se but for £300,000? Come on.

I was resigned to the fact we were losing McGhee that Sunday night/Monday morning when both Calderwood and Strachen left. He was always going to leave us this year as i feel that he think's he has taken us as far he can.

I'd hope that Boyle or any other member on the board were thinking up candidates as soon as these two manager's both left their clubs because if we're slow off the mark with this one i fear we could go into our first two games of the Europa League managerless.

For me i'd like to see John Hughes in there although he looks to be going to either Hibs or Swansea. Terry Butcher would be a step backwards, especially how forward we've been going in the last two seasons. Don't want to see Paul Lambert in there. Can't stand the guy and imagine listening to his pre/post match interviews :rolleyes:

Apart from Hughes, i really can't think of anyone else.

All done and dusted as far as I can see. Despite not being McGhee's biggest fan during his time, it is still sad to see him leave the club. Maybe that is because he is going to an SPL rival club. However £300k for an international player (Dont think he is international class but you can argue with the 2 Caps 1 Goal mark beside his name!) who has been your clubs best player in recent times is laughable.

Dont want to dwell too much on it and need to look to the future and the replacement. We should have had a shortlist pulled together weeks ago but I wont hold my breath. Who are the realistic candidates?

Bobby Williamson

Gary McAllister (Think he is outwith our range!)

Billy Reid (Would he leave Accies for 'Well?)

Ian McCall

Terry Butcher (No thanks!)

Jimmy Calderwood (See McAllister)

Gordon Chisholm

We should be welcoming applications for this job to see what we can pull from England and Europe.

Could we tempt Chris McCart back from Celtic for a crack at the big job? What about Willie McStay also who is reserve team coach with Celtic?

I am just trying to pull together any possible names. Doubt we could get either of the above.

Was speaking with Frazzle who mentioned a Joe Jordan and McCart team at Fir Park. Jordan not needing the money and being a local lad and giving McCart his 1st shot at club management.

Wonder if Leitchy could be swayed of going to aberdeen as mcghee's assistant if the 'Well job was offered to him with McCart as his assistant. There was a lot of talk at one point of Leitch being groomed for the manager's job.

Tony Adams? :rolleyes:

Out with a someone ITK last night and he said that McGhee was away with Leitch to the Sheep shaggers. Also said we're trying to punt Reynolds, Quinn and Clarkson. Reynolds will be off for roughly 5-600k to a Championship/new Premiership team. Ideal prep for a new season. Relegation scrap beckons

Get your Airdrie top looked out then mate as I have a strange feeling that he will be in line for the job!

Seriously? Wouldn't have thought all the season books were purchased prior to the discounted deadline, can't see many more being ordered if that were the appointment.

Mh, 300k for Clarkson, i know most wouldnt agree, but I'd personally drive him up there.

As for Leitch: Dont think he will go. afaik his kids are about to do their standart/higher grades and they didnt even go up, when Leitch was at Ross County. Dont know him too much, but I dont think he would leave his family.

If this article is correct then it is very disappointing. Not because McGhee is going, although personally I think that is disappointing because he is an excellent manager, but because of the way he is doing it.

To be in a Sunday paper talking in that way and already talking about taking players from Motherwell while still the Motherwell manager is shocking. I know that there are no quotes attributed to McGhee regarding the players so it may be sheer speculation on the journo's part but I don't think so. If McGhee is prepared to say what he has been quoted as saying then it shows a lack of respect for Well so it would be in character to go the extra step and mention the players he would take as well.

I don't understand the criticism of John Boyle on here. It is only right that he stay silent untill there is something to say. We should not hear anything from Boyle untill McGhee puts pen to paper with Aberdeen. The mighty Mark could learn a few lessons in that respect.

McGhee has been brilliant for Motherwell but his use of the press to further his own ambitions has been poor.