Mmg Off To Celtic

Easy Target

So his eye was on the ball last season when he was set to get on a plane to meet Romanov?

Don't thinkso.

Agree to disagree on this one.

As has been covered though, the whole "plane" thing occurred on the 26th May. The season only ended on the 22nd May. So yeah, his eye was on the ball for the whole of the close season.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone is questioning McGhee's ability as a manager, they just want this situation sorted out for the good of the club. Let's face it, he's more than likely going this time, I know that seemed the case last year, but even more so now, and the longer this drags on could be damaging for our preperations for next season.

I have total respect for McGhee as a manager and think he has done a tremendous job in his two years here. Anyone who can transform a squad of players who had to have their arses saved by another team to prevent relegation at the end of one season to finishing third and qualifying for Europe the next, and in the face of the most difficult, trying and tragic of circumstances imaginable cannot have their abilities as a manager called into question. I'm not so keen on his attitude towards the club and the fans from time to time and I think others are the same, but that's taking nothing away from the job he has done ON the park for us.

I just want this situation sorted out asap as I am worried about next season given the size of our current squad which is in desperate need of strengthening, but as has already been said, that can't and won't happen until we have a new manager in place so the sooner McGhee goes, the better.

See, people keep going on about "getting this situation sorted sooner rather than later". It seems everyone is forgetting that we dont have a situation!

Al,

Personally, I like the fact you're taking the common sense approach and defending what should be the blindingly obvious to the hilt on these threads. From the recent past and as it stands, Mark McGhee has not created any "situation" which should be resolved "sooner rather than later", nor has he taken his eye off any ball, as i imagine he's on bloody holiday, as he should be!

For what it's worth, if he moves to Aberdeen or Celtic and we get compensated as per his contract value then to be honest we can't have any gripes. He's not in control of the timing of any of of this and he may well not be approached for either job and he may just even stay in the job he's got afterall. If he goes, then whoever comes in has a tall order, but thats just the way the cookie crumbles to be honest, it's no ones fault. In my opinion both jobs he's been linked to are without a doubt bigger, higher profile jobs than he currently occupies. I would think one he take in a heartbeat if offered, and I don't think anyone with a brain would blame him. The other, might take a little more thought and I'd be more inclined to think it would be a more difficult choice, however it's his to make if he's given the offer after permission to discuss was granted.

The paranoia with no factual basis has gotten tiresome; for me anyway.

Personally i have reached the stage when I am getting pissed off with this whole situation. If he is off then lets get it out in the open and get a new man in as soon as possible, if he is not then lets get down to the business of preparing for an early start to the campaign and another European adventure.

Yes I am pissed off. Press speculation but I am fed up hearing about this. McGhee could end it very quickly by saying he is not interested in leaving. If he is interested then come out and say it either way we can move toward another adventure.

If you're talking about his article in the Sunday Herald that was almost 2 weeks ago and could have been written several days beforehand. He didn't have an article in last week's paper and would be surprised if he has one in tomorrow.

Radio Scotland seemed very sure of him going to Aberdeen on their early afternoon sports programme and certainly when so many journalists seem to have sources telling them the same thing, it normally happens (unless the chairman talks him round).

I could certainly understand him taking the Aberdeen job much more than I could with the Hearts job last year. Let's face it, they don't have a bampot dictator as owner, he must have a soft spot for them and, if he gets things right, they do have a great potential (probably bigger than Hearts). I know people can point out the various cons as well but I can't see him taking us any further and, with the budget costs, he may even struggle to match the 7th place of last year.

I'd like him to stay but won't be heartbroken if he goes as I think we need a manager who can spot a bargain and I'm not convinced he is that man. The one thing we will miss is the media profile - we'll hear a lot less about our club in the media if he goes.

Sunday Herald

McGhee to be named Aberdeen manager

EXCLUSIVE: By Michael Grant

MARK MCGHEE will sign a two year contract and be unveiled as the new manager of Aberdeen in midweek.

The former Pittodrie striker will complete the move north once compensation has been agreed with Motherwell, who are entitled to around £200,000. McGhee will take assistant manager Scott Leitch with him and intends to make Motherwell midfielder Stephen Hughes, who is now out of contract, his first signing. Scotland striker David Clarkson is another who could be targeted although he would cost around £300,000 and Aberdeen's budget is tight.

Aberdeen moved quickly yesterday after Celtic let McGhee know that despite widespread speculation he would not be offered the chance to replace Gordon Strachan. Aberdeen had been waiting for clarity on the Celtic situation and as soon as they had that their chairman, Stewart Milne, approached his Motherwell counterpart, John Boyle, and asked for permission to speak to McGhee. That was granted and McGhee held talks with Aberdeen director of football Willie Miller, his former team-mate.

"There is compensation to agree but the talks were encouraging," said McGhee last night. "For me, there is an element of sentimentality attached to the Aberdeen job. This is an opportunity to manage a club where I had fantastic success and memories as a player. The same would have applied at Celtic. So there is an element of going home' about the Aberdeen job for me and I quite like that." Ironically, McGhee will land the job a decade after he was interviewed for it and missed out to Ebbe Skovdahl.

Motherwell held on to McGhee a year ago when Vladimir Romanov offered him the chance to manage Hearts and he turned them down, but they will lose him once compensation is agreed between Milne and Boyle. "If I had left when offered the Hearts job a year ago my contract would have been extraordinarily better than the one I was on at Motherwell," McGhee went on. "That does not apply with the Aberdeen job so it is not about money.

"It's amazing the number of people who say to me that the mistake I made was not going to Hearts and that if I had gone there and finished third I would have walked into the Celtic job. But last year it would have been wrong to leave Motherwell to go to Hearts. Aberdeen represents a different challenge. There is sentimentality involved for me, a bit of romance to that job."

McGhee was Aberdeen's first choice to replace Jimmy Calderwood when he was sacked at the end of the season. The club was impressed by his time at Motherwell, during which he led them to third place in 2008 and a spot in the Uefa Cup. Last season they finished seventh, albeit with more points than sixth-placed Hibs. McGhee was also interviewed by the SFA to become manager of Scotland last year only for the job to go to George Burley.

An Aberdeen striker under Sir Alex Ferguson from 1978 to 1984, McGhee played in the 1983 European Cup Winners' Cup triumph over Real Madrid. Before Motherwell the 52-year-old managed Reading, Leicester, Wolves, Millwall and Brighton.

Despite immediate speculation that former Motherwell manager Terry Butcher might now return to Fir Park, he is not thought to be a contender.

Meanwhile, a new name linked with the vacant Hibs job last night was Richard Money, the academy director at Newcastle. He has previously managed Scunthorpe and Walsall.

It strikes me in all this media frenzy that the only voice not to be hard is that of John Boyle or MFC. A bit disappointing that all this seems to be happening to our club rather than us being proactive. Not only the very real prospect of losing our manager but even "in contract" players being mentioned along with their value!

Is their a "For Sale" sign up in the Fir Park window!

it looks definate that mcghee and leitch are off to aberdeen the only thing now is the compensation to be agreed with aberdeen prepared to pay 200k.

Aren't Aberdeen said to be totally skint ? The most important thing is to resolve McGhee's future quickly, with no repeat of the Hearts soap opera of last year.

Aren't Aberdeen said to be totally skint ? The most important thing is to resolve McGhee's future quickly, with no repeat of the Hearts soap opera of last year.

it seems there chairman will be puttin up the money out his own pocket.mcghee wants to make hughes his first signing but i agree mate the sooner its done the better so we can get a new manager in place

Setanta are repoting that there has been no contact between Shellic and West Brom about Mowbray so this whole thing about where McGhee is going is still in the melting pot be it the tattie pickers or the sheep shaggers.

This really needs sorted quickly, we are playing a Europa tie in less than four weeks.

Come on Boyle get off of your arse and find out (or let everyone know) what the manager is planning.

I want MMG to stay but it cannot be beneficial to the team if there is any uncertainty about who is going to be in charge.

Clarkson for 300k, they can git tae, double it and we'll talk, 4th top SPL scorer last year. As for McGhee, those quotes really are not what you want to read, and given its in the sunday herald and his ties with them, you got to think they are 100% genuine.

He'll have 2 seasons up at Aberdeen and then move on, as like every other club, still, it's been a good time he's been here.

Now lets make a good appointment, and that does not mean Terry Butcher. I'd like us to look a bit further than that, Paul Lambert please.

No need to hit the panic button just yet. Our squad is no worse (some might argue it's better) than when McGhee took over. The squad is thin, but it was thin then. And a few folk were interested in the job then, without the carrot of European football. The calibre of applicants might surprise us...

The worry is not that McGhee and Leitch go to Aberdeen....it is that Hughes, Smith, and Klimpl follow. Although I'm glad with regards to the speculation over Leitch going if he did step up at LEAST their would have been a little stabiity. Now a new management team has to step in with the first task being a Euro qualifier minus some of our bigger names.

The worry is not that McGhee and Leitch go to Aberdeen....it is that Hughes, Smith, and Klimpl follow.

Not a problem, really. None of them are staying at Fir Park so it doesn't really bother me where they end up. And while they're all decent players, I'm not worrying about how we'll cope without them...