Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

Was looking through our club pages on the bbcs 606 site and there is a Walsall fan on it asking if we have heard of one of their players who has just been released who is according to him joining us Steve Jones 34 year old injury prone ex Northern Ireland international forward,looked him up on wiki and its got him down as having joined us as of today,i really hope this is a piss take.

ill no be happy if were going down the road of signing injury prone 34 year olds further pushing guys like mchugh down the pecking order

Was looking through our club pages on the bbcs 606 site and there is a Walsall fan on it asking if we have heard of one of their players who has just been released who is according to him joining us Steve Jones 34 year old injury prone ex Northern Ireland international forward,looked him up on wiki and its got him down as having joined us as of today,i really hope this is a piss take.
Motherwell

As of 19 January 2011 it was leaked that Steve Jones Had joined SPL side Motherwell

see stephen hughes is now out of favour and has been told to look for another club

You just posted before I did. My only concern is Hughes will not be match fit, so I'm not sure what contribution he could make over the next few months. I certainly don't think we should expect the same player we had 2 years ago.

So far, most of the players we have been linked with, appear to come from the general pool of available, free talent. I wonder what connections Stuart McCall has himself. His knowledge of the lower English leagues were supposed to have been a prerequisite of the job.

You just posted before I did. My only concern is Hughes will not be match fit, so I'm not sure what contribution he could make over the next few months. I certainly don't think we should expect the same player we had 2 years ago.

So far, most of the players we have been linked with, appear to come from the general pool of available, free talent. I wonder what connections Stuart McCall has himself. His knowledge of the lower English leagues were supposed to have been a prerequisite of the job.

As a former Scout of Norwich City probably some real decent ones. The thing is, this is January, where clubs in England are paying 5-6 figure sums for emergency loans (1-2 month) never mind 6 month loan/full transfers. We can't compete with that.

I see from Wiki that he was on loan at Bradford city....2008-9 when Mr Mcall was the manager !

Steve Jones........

Crewe Alexandra

Having been watched several times by Crewe assistant manager Neil Baker, Jones was finally persuaded to sign for Crewe in time for the 2001-02_in_English_football. Crewe Alexandra signed Jones from Leigh RMI for £75,000 in 2001 plus 2 further payments of £25,000 each after a certain number of appearances.

Although Jones made his debut in August 2001 against Manchester_City_F.C., he only made six appearances in his first season at Crewe. He spent the latter part of the year on loan with Rochdale_A.F.C. gaining more first team experience.

Following Crewe's relegation to the Football_League_Second_Division though, Jones' career sprang into life. He scored his first two goals for the club against Queens_Park_Rangers_F.C. in October 2002. He went on to finish with 11 goals that season as Crewe won promotion. The following season in the Football_League_First_Division, he scored 16 goals and won the Crewe supporters' 'Player of the Year' award. In the 2004-05_in_English_football he scored 13 goals.

A pacy forward, Jones can also play on either wing and his versatility was a useful asset to manager Dario_Gradi's squad. At the end of the 2005-06_in_English_football, Jones confirmed he would be leaving Crewe once his contract had expired in July 2006. He told the club's official website: "I've had five great years here and I cannot thank the club, the fans and the staff for all they have done for me. Crewe will always hold a special place in my heart because they gave me a chance to play in the Football League again and go on to play for Northern Ireland."[Wikipedia:Citation_needed]

He finished the season with having the most assists in the team, with twelve in total, and four goals, which he admitted to be a disappointing record by his own standards.[Wikipedia:Citation_needed]

[edit] Burnley

On 3 May 2006, he joined 'The Clarets' on a free transfer, agreeing a three-year deal at Turf_Moor due to expire at the end of the 2008-09_in_English_football.

Jones scored twice in the first game of the 2006-07_in_English_football on his competitive debut for Burnley and immediately became a first-team regular, albeit playing in a slightly unfamiliar position on the left side of attack. He became less assured of a starting place as the season progressed and he began the 2007-08_in_English_football as a substitute or squad player.

[edit] Back to Crewe

After failing to impress in recent weeks, Jones returned to former club Crewe_Alexandra_F.C. on 27 March 2008, on loan for the remainder of The Railwaymen's Football_League_One season. The forward was linked to a move back to Gresty_Road in the January Transfer Window, but the move fell through due to Jones' knee injury.

[edit] Huddersfield Town

On 17 October 2008, after playing no games under Owen_Coyle, Jones moved on a month's loan to Huddersfield_Town_F.C., mainly as cover for the injured Andy_Booth. He made his debut the following day in the 1–1 draw against Bristol_Rovers_F.C. at the Galpharm_Stadium. He made one further start and two substitute appearances before returning to Turf_Moor on 26 November.

[edit] Bradford City

The following day he signed for Football_League_Two-side Bradford_City_A.F.C. until the start of 2009, following an injury to fellow winger Omar_Daley.Steve_Jones_(Northern_Ireland_footballer)#cite_note-2 He made his debut in a 2–1 FA_Cup defeat to Leyton_Orient_F.C. at Valley_Parade two days after signing.Steve_Jones_(Northern_Ireland_footballer)#cite_note-big-game_hunter-0 His league debut for City came the following weekend when he missed two chances to give his new side a victory in a 1–1 draw with Dagenham_%26_Redbridge_F.C..Steve_Jones_(Northern_Ireland_footballer)#cite_note-3 After making six league starts during his month's loan, the deal was extended for a second month during the January transfer window.Steve_Jones_(Northern_Ireland_footballer)#cite_note-4 He scored his first goal for Bradford in his tenth game to give the club a 2–0 victory over Grimsby_Town_F.C. in the final minute of the match.Steve_Jones_(Northern_Ireland_footballer)#cite_note-5 Two days later, with just one game left of his second month, Jones extended his loan until the end of the season.Steve_Jones_(Northern_Ireland_footballer)#cite_note-6

[edit] Walsall

On 1 June 2009 it was announced that Jones had been released by Burnley at the end of his contract alongside Gabor_Kiraly and Alan_Mahon.Steve_Jones_(Northern_Ireland_footballer)#cite_note-Three_Released_As_Retained_List_Announced-7 On 10 July 2009 he signed for Walsall_FC on a two year deal.

[edit] Motherwell

As of 19 January 2011 it was leaked that Steve Jones Had joined SPL side Motherwell

[edit] International career

He has won a number of Northern_Ireland_national_football_team caps, having scored his first goal against St._Kitts_and_Nevis_national_football_team in 2004.

Where would you play him and who would you drop tho!!!

Obviously Forbes is first choice for drop but could Hughes play on the left! I'm sure it was a known fact that he didn't like playing centre mid at Motherwell alongside Lasley, hence why we signed Malcolm! Lasley didn't give him enough defensive protection! Good player yes but would he fit into our style at the moment! Infact scrub that I don't know what our style is at the moment!

Could be this is the former NI international we were looking to sign and not a certain Mr D Healy who is going to Rangers!!! Slight difference in player me thinks!

Got a funny feeling this could be happening !!!!!!! :lol:

+Side: has played over 450 games at reasonable/international level

-Ve :34 years old !!!

Davie Weir is over 40 and is probably, still by far the best defender to play in the SPL (ever?)

Aye but Walsall, Crewe and (non-prem) Burnley are hardy the same pedigree as Everton and Rangers so I don't think it's a valid argument...