Ins & Outs

LadywellToi

Am I right in saying that we can still sign someone outwith the transfer window if they are free agents? If so then maybe that's the route we're taking.

Thats correct. The likes of Boab Malcolm and Alan Gow were signed after the window in the past.

Lets put things in perspective, the teams around us that we have a chance to overtake .....

Killie lost Sammon, must be a blow, not ideal they got a boy from Everton considering we had a good relationship

Dundee Utd. keeping Goodwillie must be a blow for us.

ICT got Scotland U21 McDonald on loan from Burnley, not too worried.

I expect announcements either in an hour or so or tomorrow morning. No need to fret.

do you honestly think that the money saved at this transfer window will be added to monies allocated in the summer? if we drop down a few places, that summer budget will be alot less. Seems were are now constantly cutting back and hoping the youngsters at the club can deliver. Not saying they cant, but its a gamble.

Sunday's performance lifted the fans slightly, but a return to the boring SPL matches without any further new additions, will only ensure that the apathy surrounding some of our support will only get worse i believe.

As things stand we are now a further two players down in our squad.

We needed a front man, and it looks as if that opportunity had passed us by. Just need to pray that neither Sutton or Murphy get injured or suspended....

Lets put things in perspective, the teams around us that we have a chance to overtake .....

Killie lost Sammon, must be a blow, not ideal they got a boy from Everton considering we had a good relationship

Dundee Utd. keeping Goodwillie must be a blow for us.

ICT got Scotland U21 McDonald on loan from Burnley, not too worried.

I expect announcements either in an hour or so or tomorrow morning. No need to fret.

Goodwillie will get his move to Peterhead very soon though :O

Just do what we done post-adminastration and chuck in all the young boys!

Aye we may have finished last that season, but we relied solely on the young guns with very little experience around them. This time it would just be to bulk up the squad. And the last time round we saw McFadden, Pearson, Clarkson, Quinn and Hammell all cement their place a main-stays.

Our U19's from the past few years have always be there or there abouts in the league, and from what I've seen and heard about some of the young boys we have then why not fire them in at the deep end if/when needed?? That was Gannon's philosophy, and I know a lot of posters on here liked that!

While I would loved a few faces in just to bolster the squad, I'd not to worried at all and would love to see the young boys comming in. McFadden, Reynolds, Pearson, Quinn, Clarkson, Hammell, etc all started playing regualrly in the first team under the age of 20.

Well I still think we might hear something in the next 24hrs.

Very happy that we never lost another name or two in the last few hours of the window. We have some cracking players and I'm sure we will have had some offers for a couple of them in the last week. Bleed the young guns, and start building slowly for next year. 100% behind the boss and the team.

Mon the WELL! :O

i heard today that the club were in contact with one or two players who are free agents and can be signed outwith the window. i still think we'll get a striker in.

it's mental to think that in the last five transfer windows we've lost 15 players who were on permament deals and only brought in six players (and two of them are casagolda and charlambous).

it's mental to think that in the last five transfer windows we've lost 15 players who were on permament deals and only brought in six players (and two of them are casagolda and charlambous).
Not that mental for a club that trying to develop youngsters and sell them on. If the system is working, we should always be in a transfer 'deficit' as it were.

i heard today that the club were in contact with one or two players who are free agents and can be signed outwith the window. i still think we'll get a striker in.

was it a year 1 deal that charlambous signed its looking like another waste of a wage

I guess every player that doesn't work out is a waste of a wage, but how many signings actually come off? Especially with young players?

Problem is, it would be difficult for us to sign someone who is a stick on to perform for us as they would be out of our range, or we'd at least have to deal with some competition. So we have to take a flyer on some guys.

Charalambous is a non-story. We signed him to see what he could do, with the option of keeping him if he's any good and ditching him after a year if he's shite.

Having thought about it, not that worried by the lack of transfer activity. As others have said, we should be seeing what some of the young guys have to offer ahead of next season. May save ourselves a signing or two in the summer.

A lot of people seem irritated by the fact that we are "wasting" wages on Casagolda and Charambolous. Maybe this is a sign of us not wanting to repeat such mistakes. There's no point in bringing in someone for the sake of it.

If we bring in a free agent over the next couple of days, let's just hope whoever it is that it's a signing for beyond the end of the season. A bit more long term thinking. As others have pointed out, why bring in a Premiership youth player just to stunt the progress of our own players with no real long term benefit for ourselves. I know the likes of Ruddy and Jutkiewicz did a job for us but at least if a player joins at the start of the season, you have a chance to bed them into the team and you're not disrupting a settled line up simply for a guy to get some game time for six months then go and sign for a championship team.

No short term signings like Gow, Malcolm or McGlichey please...

Not that mental for a club that trying to develop youngsters and sell them on. If the system is working, we should always be in a transfer 'deficit' as it were.

the squad is ridiculously thin. we've majorly rode our luck with injuries but we've got guys who clearly need a bit of a rest - humphrey, hateley and murphy in particular - but we need to play them every week and usually for the 90 minutes.

jenno is a certainty to leave in the summer and sutton is likely to move as well and they are the only outfielders in our squad who could be described as mid twenties. casagolda and the cypriot will be shown the door and a couple of the younger ones probably as well. we'll be at least 10 outfield players down on what we had in the first half of this season and craigan and lasley will be a year older. succesive regimes have spunked all our money on short term deals and loans rather than trying to secure players who will make a commitment to the club.

all our money on short term deals and loans rather than trying to secure players who will make a commitment to the club.

I tend to agree but that's another reason for us to not dip into the transfer market this window. Again unless it's a free agent we can tie up beyond the summer.

Jennings, you could argue is an example of short term thinking as he has only signed one year deals the past two summers. Getting Jennings on a two year deal and getting Sutton on a new contract would make a lot of Motherwell fans a bit more relaxed about next season. Lasley probably has at least another season in him, going by his performances this year. I think we need to think in terms of a back four minus Craigan for next season though. Whether that means two from Hutchinson, Page and Saunders or bringing in someone more experienced, I don't know. Bearing in mind how many games Saunders and Hutchinson will have under their belts by the end of the season, maybe it's time to give them a go.

Problem with looking for players who'll make a commitment to the club is that most footballers who play at the level we operate tend not to sign deals for longer than two seasons unless they come through the youth system and these deals are signed when these players are very young. Randolph, Humphrey and Hateley are very much the exceptions to the rule...

players we've signed on deals longer than a year (or extended to longer) recently.

summer 08 - o'brien

jan 09 - naebody

summer 09 - humphrey, jenno, hateley

jan 09 - naebody

summer 10 - randolph, hollis

jan 11 - naebody

it'll eventually catch up with us.

players likely to be here in july. randolph, hollis, saunders, hutchinson, page, craigan, hammell, lasley, hateley, humphrey, pollock, murphy, mchugh. 13 players plus possibly halsman, meechan and quinn.