389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

Ok, so it's not the appointment many people wanted (or expected) but let's try not to be negative before the guy has even been unveiled!

We have to accept that, as much as we are Motherwell through and through, we are not one of the big guns of the football world. Scottish Football in general is not in a good way at the moment - even our so called "big teams" are struggling.

We've done reasonably well in the past few seasons, despite the difficulties we have faced.

Let's try to give the new guys a chance, get behind the team and hope we can steady the ship again.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek Weir

first person offered

preferred candidate

not able to confirm name

hope to make announcement tomorrow, after papers are signed

McCall in directors box would be a coincidence

re-contract: significant commitment from both sides but not to e discussed publicly

Pity he didn't speak to Gordon Young before going on air then...

I don't care who our new manager used to play for, all I care about is how he manages MFC. He's obviously impressed the board enough for them to offer him the job, so I'll trust them on this one for the time being.

One thing that seems to be lost on SPL teams these days is bringing through players and managers from the Scottish lower leagues. Is this a quality or a financial thing?

Well said Colin, if we worried about who players played for we would not have seen the likes of Cooper or Coyne in C&A. On your last point Jimmy Calderwood said recently on radio Scotland that most of the foreign players that he brought in were as good as if not better than anyone available in Scotland he also said that they played for significantly less money which made them better value to the clubs. I would imagine that managers may be similar.

Derek Weir on Radio Scotland, achieving the announcement without announcing it

first person offered

preferred candidate

not able to confirm name

hope to make announcement tomorrow, after papers are signed

McCall in directors box would be a coincidence

re-contract: significant commitment from both sides but not to e discussed publicly

He also accidentally referred to the mystery man as Stuart

:cheers:

Ok what I was trying to post was 46 wins in 133 games...
That's almost the exact same % of wins that Butcher had as Motherwell boss and only slightly worse than McGhee's 'Well record (and who had 40 wins from 139 games with Brighton before he joined us).

That's almost the exact same % of wins that Butcher had as Motherwell boss and only slightly worse than McGhee's 'Well record (and who had 40 wins from 139 games with Brighton before he joined us).

Hey, weeyin, don't let facts get in the way of folk having a right good moan. You're ruining their enjoyment!

:cheers:

I am happy to offer my full support from the start to anybody that gets the gig of managing our team. It would be wrong for anybody to have him hung drawn and quartered before he has even lead the team into a game....lets give him a chance and then make up our minds in a few months, hopefully we will be safely in the top 6 come the end of the season (I think Europe is already out and would've been under Brown, IMO).

Not the most exciting of names but it doesn't have to be, it's what he brings to the team on the pitch that's important.

If that translates into us at least getting back to the level we know the guys can play at, then I'll be happy.

Welcome on board Mr McCall, lets hope your presence tonight lifts the team into a performance against Celtic.

When McCall took over at Bradford he had a squad that should have been promoted back up, not through his own doing i may add. A big fish in a small pond. Win ratio's should be higher than relegation fodder or a mid table team.

He bottled it when he didnt get promotion, wanted to resign. He bottled it when results got bad and left. Bradford were 'his' team. We'll see how he gets on when the going gets tough here.

Even with the state we're in we should be expecting better than Stuart fucking McCall. I'd genuinely have taken a Chisolm or a Hughes over the boy.

When McCall took over at Bradford he had a squad that should have been promoted back up, not through his own doing i may add. A big fish in a small pond. Win ratio's should be higher than relegation fodder or a mid table team.

He bottled it when he didnt get promotion, wanted to resign. He bottled it when results got bad and left. Bradford were 'his' team. We'll see how he gets on when the going gets tough here.

Even with the state we're in we should be expecting better than Stuart fucking McCall. I'd genuinely have taken a Chisolm or a Hughes over the boy.

Even if he got them relegated big fucking deal. He took a job on and made mistakes. Hopefully he will learn form those mistakes. You seem pretty certain that he is going to fuck up because of a spell he had a club that you probably know nothing about in a league you probably know nothing about.

He deserves a chance at least ffs. Who were you expecting ?

Its all ifs and buts.

He's obviously impessed in an interview.

There isn't a definite correlation betweeen managerial success down there (or elsewhere) and with up here.

Brown, Smith, Jeffries, Burley and Levein (even Strachan latterly) all had a pretty tough time down there but have done reasonably enough up here.

Alot of it is down to luck and circumstance.

Personally I don't care about his previous as long as McCall can glavanise the team and get the wins in.