389 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather...

• Mark McGhee
    • Scott Leitch
    • John Hughes
    • John Collins
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Jim Gannon
    • Luc Niholt (aw, come on, I had tae...)
    • Tommy McLean
    • Derek McInnes
    • Stephen Craigan
    • Somebody else.. Goan tell us...

Nevermind balls , with the players and finances at our disposal its a bit of managerial skill we need. Personally think Boyle has lost the plot on this one :thumbup:

Stuart McCalls dazzling CV :

Played for Rangers (whoopdefuckingdoo)

Was shite as Bradford manager

Er thats about it

Even at this late stage im hoping for a twist to this tale

Stuart McCall ... :thumbup:

Substitute Sunderland/Coventry for Bradford and you have Butcher's CV. He wasn't exactly setting the heather on fire with his managerial talent before he joined us.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Substitute Sunderland/Coventry for Bradford and you have Butcher's CV. He wasn't exactly setting the heather on fire with his managerial talent before he joined us.

That's what I was going to post.

People need to take a reality check here. We are not going to get an experienced candidate unless we go for Hughes or McPherson. If it is indeed McCall then let's give the guy a bloody chance because whoever we appoint is going to be a gamble. They guy will get my 100 % support and I will give him time before I jump on any bandwagon. Butcher had a terrible managerial record before he managed Motherwell. In fact his record after Motherwell until he took over at Inverness was pretty damn poor as well. Some managers are suited to certain leagues and like Butcher, McCall may take to the SPL very well.

Give the guy a bloody chance.

Did we have (m)any other options than Butcher at that time ?

If McCall is the best finances allow then fair enough , its a shite state of affairs though and IMO will end in tears fairly soon . If we had Broon on no contract and McCall on a fairly lengthy one it confirms the world has went mad

Like others ive spoken to im scunnered with the news

edit : Butcher was also working in the SPL , not scouting for one of his old Rangers pals in a league we cant afford to shop in

Did we have (m)any other options than Butcher at that time ?

If McCall is the best finances allow then fair enough , its a shite state of affairs though and IMO will end in tears fairly soon . If we had Broon on no contract and McCall on a fairly lengthy one it confirms the world has went mad

Like others ive spoken to im scunnered with the news

2 'better' candidates turned it down so who out there is better ?

McPherson - NO , Hughes - NO , Calderwood - maybe.

We are skint and the board are gambling like every other managerial appointment we have made in my life. Some have failed but most have actually been a success. I trust the board on this one.

Got any proof?

heard it from someone inside the club did you?

good for goose good for gander :thumbup:

Yep but I think you'll find it wasn't me asking for proof before, don't really give a fuck who said what. Sauce for goose, sauce for gander precisely, only I think many of the Gannon stories are totally made up, that one I offered definitely wisnae but you choose to believe it or you don't. :thumbup:

time to prepare for the SPL 2 as in the predictament we find ourselves, and in a somewhat ironic sense, we'll probably find ourselves being victims to the restructuring thats getting pushed thru'

A bit glass half empty there surely Brazilian.

We do play in the same league as Accies and St. Mirren after all.

Lets me appreciate the moderate success, a little more :thumbup:

edit: and in a way I'm totally scunnered with everything that the SPL is , including Accies n St Mirren

remember the restructuring could mean three of the current league could be missing from the ten grim_reaper.gif

Anyone who doesn't support McCall if he gets the Job due to his Rangers connections need to have a wee think first!

McLean, Davies, Butcher and latterly Knox all have very strong connections to Ibrox and did a good job! I'll support him until it goes sour but as I mentioned previously it could be a good match for both club and person!

Only time will tell! Leitch as number two anyone!

2 'better' candidates turned it down so who out there is better ?

McPherson - NO , Hughes - NO , Calderwood - maybe.

We are skint and the board are gambling like every other managerial appointment we have made in my life. Some have failed but most have actually been a success. I trust the board on this one.

Sounds like the decision is made so my moaning wont do any good

Of course every appointment is a calculated gamble. At the present time we can ill afford more than any time to lose that gamble and i really dont see any sense in this appointment. Going plainly and simply on his managerial record would you touch him with a bargepole ? What attracts then ?

Fuckin tough though , looks like he has the gig

Calderwood wasn't a massive success in his relatively short-lived stint at Kilmarnock. Only stayed up due to the width of a post really. Not saying he wouldn't be with us, but whoever gets the job is going to have to hit the ground running. McCall does fit the bill in knowing the lower leagues down South, Calderwood does not in that respect.

I genuinely don't see any difference with Butcher and McCall. Strong ties with Rangers, dodgy managerial records. I think the difference between now and when Butcher became manager is that back then we had far bigger things to worry about.

We've obviously tried to get what people see as a higher calibre of manager, but it hasn't worked out. We don't want McPherson, Hughes, some don't want Calderwood, so who exactly do people think the board are going to manage to appoint other than someone like McCall? They can't pull a top notch manager out their arse...

Like others, I'm scunnered at the moment with the state of Scottish football and Motherwell. However, for some on this managerial appointment, a definite reality check is needed methinks.

Sounds like the decision is made so my moaning wont do any good

Of course every appointment is a calculated gamble. At the present time we can ill afford more than any time to lose that gamble and i really dont see any sense in this appointment. Going plainly and simply on his managerial record would you touch him with a bargepole ? What attracts then ?

Fuckin tough though , looks like he has the gig

He isn't my choice by they way but he doesn't have to impress me in order to get the job. He has to impress at the interview and he must have done something right. Listen he may come in and be a Maurice Malpas and fail miserably. He could come in and be mixture of all the good bits of Gannon, Mutley and Brown and then he will be a revelation who signs great players has us playing magical football and very hard to beat.

All I'm saying is give the guy a chance as nobody knows what the heck is going to happen.

McCall is no ones first choice, but we all reckoned McLeish and Davies were useless managers after their stint with us. Like McCall it was their first job and they've gone on to do better elswhere. So if we do get McCall I can only hope he learned from his experience at Bradford and can be a better manager than we expect him to be.

Or he could be murder but he'd have to be worse than Malpas to relegate us from here I reckon so fingers crossed if he is murder we stay up and can bin him in summer if it a catastrophe!

I've always liked Stuart McCall, he's got that fighting spirit and that determination. Not my first choice as a manager mind but give the chap a chance and he may show that he has the talent to succeed under difficult circumstances. You need to start somewhere and if you can build a decent team with no cash then you have a gift and you deserve recognition for that.

PERSPECTIVE:

31/12/2009

1 Rangers 18 13 4 1 46 12 +34 43

2 Celtic 17 11 3 3 36 18 +18 36

3 Hibernian 17 9 5 3 25 14 +11 32

4 Dun Utd. 17 7 7 3 22 22 0 28

5 Hearts 18 6 5 7 16 19 −3 23

6 Motherwell 18 4 8 6 21 29 −8 20

7 St. John 17 5 4 8 25 30 −5 19

8 Aberdeen 16 4 6 6 12 18 −6 18

9 Accies 16 4 4 8 15 26 −11 16

10 St. Mirren 16 3 5 8 18 25 −7 14

11 Killie 17 3 5 9 12 22 −10 14

12 Falkirk 17 2 6 9 14 27 −13 12

End of 2009/2010 Season

1 Rangers 38 26 9 3 82 28 +54 87

2 Celtic 38 25 6 7 75 39 +36 81

3 Dun Utd 38 17 12 9 55 47 +8 63

4 Hibernian 38 15 9 14 58 55 +3 54

5 Motherwell 38 13 14 11 52 54 −2 53

6 Hearts 38 13 9 16 35 46 −11 48

7 Accies 38 13 10 15 39 46 −7 49

8 St. John 38 12 11 15 57 61 −4 47

9 Aberdeen 38 10 11 17 36 52 −16 41

10 St. Mirren 38 7 13 18 36 49 −13 34

11 Killie 38 8 9 21 29 51 −22 33

12 Falkirk 38 6 13 19 31 57 −26 31

Currently

1 Rangers 16 13 2 1 39 17 +22 41

2 Celtic 17 12 3 2 38 13 +25 39

3 Hearts 17 10 3 4 30 15 +15 33

4 Inverness 18 7 6 5 29 22 +7 27

5 Killie 17 7 3 7 27 20 +7 24

6 Motherwell 16 7 2 7 24 22 +2 23

7 Dun Utd 14 5 4 5 15 20 −5 19

8 St. John 17 5 3 9 12 25 −13 18

9 St. Mirren 17 4 4 9 17 29 −12 16

10 Hibernian 17 4 3 10 19 29 −10 15

11 Aberdeen 17 4 1 12 17 37 −20 13

12 Accies 15 2 4 9 11 29 −18 10

Even if McCall comes into his second job (lets not ignore how a few of our old managers have improved when they got to their second appointment) Accies are 2 points worse off than Falkirk were last season. We're 3 points better off with 2 games in hand on last season (OK maybe 1 when you count Celtic away tonight).

From the trends I can see we need approximately 10 points to maintain SPL status, even a complete fud could manage to get that. I expect McCall will do much better especially if one thing I remember about him is his fight and guile.

Talk of relegation fodder is both wrong and unfair.

Nothing overly negative yet (it's an official forum right enough....)

BCFC

This one's a bit different. Though "much lower than "ahem" Scottish football" comment was amusing. How low are Bradford these days? Been able to take your eyes off that avatar yet........?

Forum