Decision Made - Thoughts?

jk2205

Stuart McCall...New Manager  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts...

• Great choice. Will take the team foward
    • Totally indifferent, lets see what happens
    • Pish/Poor Choice

He was a big name as a player, won trophies and played at a high level so I expect the players will instantly respect him.

He will have good knowledge of English lower leagues which has served us well the last 2 - 3 seasons.

He seems like a really likeable guy, the kind of guy that the players will want to go out on the pitch and do well for.

Ok his record at Bradford was crap, but they were on the slide long before he took over, he couldn't stop the slide, and since Peter Taylor took over he hasn't been able to stop the slide either.

That is perhaps the beauty of it Andy. No danger of relegation (beat Accies on Sat and we will be 16 points in front of them and only 10 away from the highest ever relegation points tally) so even a very poor run in will not be the disaster it could have been. McCall has came in at a time when 3rd is gone and most fans (me included) would be content with a top 6 finish. Not as much pressure as there could have been if he had came in as gaffer in October. However, if we get beat by Accies, Dundee, and ICT, I fear he will be lost to a small proportion of the crowd already.

and most fans (me included) would be content with a top 6 finish.

and thats probably the single biggest problem for everything Motherwell...... Expectation.

content with top six due to being spoilt with relative success for the last decade

perhaps not spoiled as we are paying top dollar to get in on a game by game basis, leading to perhaps the notion that we should be top six as well, we usually are

but its long been debated that we are perhaps a 7th or 8th position SPL club based on everything, (perhaps lower on new budgets) so anything above is achievment or success and we should be content with SPL survival with occasional success,

as such entertaining football and an enjoyable atmosphere is a must, and thats not what we've been getting and as such I'm about ready to jack it and maybe, just maybe, a new gafffer will be enough to hook me in again

edit: poll is biased in options, i'm in the middle ground, not totally indifferent but waiting to see what happens

and thats probably the single biggest problem for everything Motherwell...... Expectation.

content with top six due to being spoilt with relative success for the last decade

perhaps not spoiled as we are paying top dollar to get in on a game by game basis, leading to perhaps the notion that we should be top six as well, we usually are

but its long been debated that we are perhaps a 7th or 8th position SPL club based on everything, (perhaps lower on new budgets) so anything above is achievment or success and we should be content with SPL survival with occasional success,

as such entertaining football and an enjoyable atmosphere is a must, and thats not what we've been getting and as such I'm about ready to jack it and maybe, just maybe, a new gafffer will be enough to hook me in again

edit: poll is biased in options, i'm in the middle ground, not totally indifferent but waiting to see what happens

What I maybe should have said was very happy with a top 6 (although a wee bit dampened as we had such a great run at the start) but not necesarily gutted if we miss out. This season anyway. St Mirren, Killie, ICT, Falkirk, and so on would have loved to have been where we have the last few years. Can't last forever, there has got to be downs as well as ups, but we can only hope the dips aren't too low.

What I maybe should have said was very happy with a top 6 (although a wee bit dampened as we had such a great run at the start) but not necesarily gutted if we miss out. This season anyway. St Mirren, Killie, ICT, Falkirk, and so on would have loved to have been where we have the last few years. Can't last forever, there has got to be downs as well as ups, but we can only hope the dips aren't too low.

nae bother Finlay sort of just triggered a thought in my head when I read it, sometimes interpreting this internet malarky is like rocket science :wallbash:

Still stands though, too much expectation, and I'm as guilty expecting nice attractive football from our bargain basement squad

His record doesn't make for impressive reading but you could compare this appointment with the appointment of Terry Butcher.

They have similar trajectories at the same stage and for me Butcher was our best manager since McLean.

Hopefully it works out, although hopefully McCall doesn't finish bottom in his first season!

we've appointed a guy that lost more games than he won in league two even although he had one of the top budgets in the division. that's a shocking record and is why he was out the game, he's only got the job up here due to his name value and he should be very, very grateful for that.

bearing in that in mind he and craig should be told in no uncertain terms to avoid playing up to the old firm stereotypes the media will be dieing to pull out. i don't want to hear about walter, ally, nine in a row or any other pish like that. we're doing him a favour giving him a chance, if he wants respect and time from the fans he has to know it's a two way street.

he and craig should be told in no uncertain terms to avoid playing up to the old firm stereotypes the media will be dieing to pull out. i don't want to hear about walter, ally, nine in a row or any other pish like that.

The problem with that is, he can’t stop the media bringing it up in interviews. You would need McCall to come out before the Accies game and tell the waiting media that he will not be talking about or answering questions on his Rangers past while he is manager of Motherwell. It’s never going to happen. Chick Young will make sure of that at the first available opportunity.

As long as his main topic of conversation is always about Motherwell, I will be more than happy.

if I'm being totally honest, I'm not exactly over the moon, but then again....

I wasn't too thrilled when McGhee got the job,and he started off really well....

..I wasn't too thrilled when Gannon took over the reigns, and he started pretty well .....

...I was decidedly under-whelmed when Broony and Knox rolled into town, and they too started pretty well,

so I'll bide my time before shooting my mouth off, and just wish him luck !

Best of Luck Stuart !!

Decided to be positive about it all and went for the "Good Choice" option. I've heard the relatively poor showing at Bradford was not all down to him as, contrary to what someone previously said, he had virtually nothing to spend. What Bradford had were the biggest crowds in English League 2, not the biggest budget. With those crowds coming courtesy of very cheap season tickets and entry prices .... great for atmosphere but not for revenue.

I'll hope for the best :lol: .