Most Shameful Display Ever

garymfc

Yes, there is overreaction on this Board. I've seen worse in my time following the Well and a 6-0 defeat at Ibrox is not the end of the world if viewed in isolation. It happens and we move on.

However thats not the point. The point is that its part of a continuing downward trend, which we seem unable to halt. We can't score at the moment, never mind pick up points, and haven't been able to do so for months. We're not playing well. This was Rangers' biggest score of the season. Money is in very short supply at the moment I know, but you can't tell me that teams like ICT, St Johnstone, Hamilton and St Mirren have far larger playing budgets than we do. They haven't been humped 6-0 at Ibrox.

I'll never give up on the Well and I'm no quitter, but something is clearly not right off the park and hasn't been right for some time now as a few folk have commented.

My single hope now is that we can limp towards the end of the season without being relegated and have a complete overhaul in the summer. Is that a lot to ask for?

Yes, there is overreaction on this Board. I've seen worse in my time following the Well and a 6-0 defeat at Ibrox is not the end of the world if viewed in isolation. It hapens and we move on.

However thats not the point. The point is that its part of a continuing downward trend, which we seem unable to halt. We can't score at the moment, never mind pick up points, and haven't been able to do so for months. We're not playing well. This was Rangers' biggest score of the season. Money is in very short supply at the moment I know, but you can't tell me that teams like ICT, St Johnstone, Hamilton and St Mirren have far larger playing budgets than we do. They haven't been humped 6-0 at Ibrox.

I'll never give up on the Well and I'm no quitter, but something is clearly not right off the park and hasn't been right for some time now as a few folk have commented.

My single hope now is that we can limp towards the end of the season without being relegated and have a complete overhaul in the summer. Is that a lot to ask for?

That was my point above, we have a bigger wage budget than these clubs,its a fact and we stil get pumped by 6 goals easily. Something behind the scenes is very wrong!

And a complete overhaul would be nice,but whos gonna pay for it? this Weir boy,the bean counter is gonna screw every penny out our squad, unless we sell Murph + or Randy for large fees were looking at replacing whoever goes + filling the rest with even more u-19s. I want us to develop out own guys but we must keep experienced heads to guide them through their first year or two

This was Rangers' biggest score of the season. Money is in very short supply at the moment I know, but you can't tell me that teams like ICT, St Johnstone, Hamilton and St Mirren have far larger playing budgets than we do. They haven't been humped 6-0 at Ibrox.

We had a back line of Jonny Page, Gavin Gunning, Shaun Hutchinson and an injured Stephen Craigan. That's why we lost 6 goals. Pretty obvious.

I can't say I've checked it out but I'm pretty sure no other team has gone to Ibrox this season having lost their entire established back four and had to a) replace 3 of them with very inexperienced kids with a mere handful of first team appearances between them and b) keep 1 of them in even although he is injured.

Not rocket science.

The difference between the teams from 3 to 12 is the manager. We have benifitted from this in the last few seasons. This is my thoughts on the managers outwith the OF in order of effectiveness (very subjective I know).

Craig Brown- grim to watch at times but a wise old owl that can get his teams grinding out results.

Jim Jeffries- experienced, old school but authoritative character

Derek McIness-has done a great job at St Johnstone and will go on to bigger things.

Terry Butcher- can create a strong team spirit and thrives in adversity

Billy Reid- Did really well getting Accies ino the SPL. Working with little resources so can be forgiven for some negative tactics at times.

Peter Houston- personally not impressed with this guy and think Dundee Utd are on the brink of going backwards but has so far been able to keep Utd at a reasonable level.

Mixu Pattalinean- have been surprised by the impact at Killie but he has them playing good football and getting results.

Colin Calderwood- yet to prove himself but has a track record of success and appears to have a plan at Hibs.

Danny Lennon- workmanlike manager who I think has done well in really difficult circumstances this season. Has a track record of success albeit in the lower leagues.

Stuart McCall- ?. No proven track record, no real sense of plan or vision coming from him (at the moment), has the team playing nicely for small periods but without an end result. Has had the least time to prove himself but would honestly put him 10th out of 10 at the moment.

Interestingly with the exception of McInnes the old dogs come out on top. Maybe Jimmy Calderwood would not have been so bad after all.

edit: have put Houston too high up but hey ho.

I personally think the board are marking time for as long as they possibly can to see how things pan out in terms of league reconstruction and how things go between now and the end of the summer transfer window.

I don't believe its a policy that's just suddenly been adopted either with some whispers as far back as the close of last season that Brown and Knox were weighing up whether to remain in charge given the course being plotted by those in charge of the finances.

Whilst several of those at the club around the administration period remain with the club I can only ever see us erring on the side of caution rather than speculating to accumulate. That's perhaps no bad thing as the survival of the club is paramount.

As has been said though a few posts up there's a very fine balance to be struck between looking after the finances and being overly cautious to the point that it really starts putting the team in jeopardy and we seem to be edging closer and closer to that point.

The consequence of that is that when you have such a threadbare squad that results such as yesterday are always likely and not even just at the hands of Rangers either. We've an average squad who lack consistency. All it takes is a few of them off the boil or injured or both at the one time and you are asking for trouble.

There are some quirky similarities to the last few months of Malpas reign and this season. Swap Reynolds for Foran and you have your £150k banked and we also saw off a couple of lower league teams on a Scottish Cup run. I'm not sure what the difference in points is from now to then, and I'm not suggesting we are going to get as close to being dragged into it as we were then, but the warning signs are there.

That said I'm also fairly certain that this time there won't be the same clean slate with a new manager coming in as was the case with McGhee coming or that there will any the same speculated subsidy of salaries by any individual on the board either.

The AGM this year is before the St Mirren game next midweek and that's going to be very interesting to hear how the club aim to proceed in the short, medium and long term.

McCall breathes rangers,shits rangers and wanks over pictures of the queen. I was all for giving the guy a chance but now i wish he would fuck off. I bet he had a nice drink and chat with McCoist after the game where they spoke about the good old days at the club they love.

He doesnt give a fuck about our club. Brown and knox didnt give a fuck about our club.

He may well be McCoist right hand man once smith fucks off.

am I right in saying we've only scored 2 league goals since McCall came in? :whistling:

these next 3 games (sheep, accies, midden) are going to be crucial. Stuff games against the buns these games are where need to pick up points

McCall's record is;

P10 W3 D2 L5 F9 A12: Wins against Dundee, Stranraer, and Hibs. Defeats to St Johnstone, Killie, Rangers X2, and Dun Utd.

Before yesterday we had only conceeded 6 goals in 9 games. Against column doubled in 90 minutes.

In the 10 games before that our record was;

P10 W4 D1 L5 F13 A12 Wins against Dundee United X2, St Johnstone, and ICT. Defeats to Accies, Hibs, Hearts, Celtic, and Rangers.

Certainly the slide is continuing......but has been with us when Brown and Knox were here.

We have been struggling badly since we beat St Johnstone 4-0. That was 16 games ago. McCall will be given till November/December at the least. No way will we do a Ross County.....for numerous reasons.

150/1 with Paddy Power to take the drop :whistling:

Were murder and cant see where out next win will come. Fully expect Hamilton to get something at Fir Park on Saturday.

Our squad just isnt big enough or good enough. We have sold a good few quality players over the last few seasons and we have never come close to replacing them. Only a matter of time before we take the drop.

I am in no way saying we should be spending more than we can afford but with dwindling crowds and less money available we will be a 1st division team in the next couple of years.

Anyone else think some of the players just look knackered? Always thought it strange that teams which competed in the (then) Intertoto Cup would have good/solid starts to the season, then fall away into winter and beyond. Over the last couple of years we have bucked this apparent trend. Not this year though. Looks to me like playing basically non stop football over 2-3 years is catching up on some of them.....

....however, conceding 6 goals in a game is shameful. No matter how tired, inexperienced, badly managed or just plain shite they may be.

Was speaking to a Rangers fan this morning who said that it was obvious to him that the defence were covering Craigan as he was struggling to get to half pace and the same in the midfield with Lasley. Having only seen the goals its not really for me to comment but as a rule of thumb you cannot go to Ibrox with two players who are as far off the pace as they sounded from that summary and we'd have been as well shoehorning the fit ones we had into a formation and tried to play a bit. Unlike many on here he said that Motherwell gave their all though but they were just short on positional sense and pace and quality to deal with Jelavic who he said was a level above. Though in the grand scheme of things yesterday didn't matter an iota and the next three games are huge. If we can get four points from the two at home we're safe as there is no way Accies will make up fourteen points on us even if we lose every other game. Even if they beat us I still suspect 11 may be too big a bridge for them.

This is a good point and indeed Tommy McLean needed time to get things right, but on that basis, should Malpas have been given more time?

Malpas was assistant to Butcher for a period before taking over as manager, so he would have known the squad by the time he got the job.

Apart from that, he was given over a year in the job before leaving.

McCall should be given until the end of next season to prove his worth, which will allow for some moves in the summer window.

I knew we were going to get beaten yesterday. For a variety of reasons it was always going to be tough. Not saying I expected 6-0 but having played them so recently and played so well that wasn't going to happen again.

Add our injury problems to that and we got stuffed. Would not describe it as shameful.

McCall is right that the next 3 games will shape our season. His job is to make sure we learn from our mistakes and push on. 3 wins and 4th place isn't out of the question. 3 loses and there is no chance of a decent finish.

A few folk have mentioned the cost of Rangers' front pairing and everything else, but that doesn't stop other teams coming and at least working their arse off to try and get something from the game, we seem content to let Rangers wander about without any serious pressure which is complete balls. The team do not have the right mentality going into these games and there's something seriously wrong with that when you've got punters paying 24 quid a pop to watch the half hearted pish we serve up every time we go there.

I never expect us to take anything from the game, any team can go there and get a doing from time to time. What I do expect is a bit of professional pride and a desire to at least put up a bit of resistance by doing the simple things properly. there's not 1 other team that gets so consistently humped there and it's embarrassing.

Malpas was assistant to Butcher for a period before taking over as manager, so he would have known the squad by the time he got the job.

Apart from that, he was given over a year in the job before leaving.

McCall should be given until the end of next season to prove his worth, which will allow for some moves in the summer window.

Not to mention we'd have to pay a healthy compensation amount as he's with us until the summer of 2013.

Look so far, results haven't gone our way, partly due to the confidence that ebbed when Jack and Victor left, nobody can try and tell us that wouldn't have a detrimental effect on the players. Part of the reason for the results? for me its been a bit of bad luck combined with getting confidence back. In the past 18 months we've robbed a fair few teams of the points, karma suggests what goes around comes around. It was only a few weeks ago when we had a game (Dundee) where everything we tried came off, Rangers had that yesterday.

If we look at his signings to date, even at 34 Jones looks a good addition, I didn't see Gunning yesterday but at Stranraer he looked strong and powerful and looking to come forward, again another player who from what I've seen I'm happy. As for Jeffers time will tell, McCall has taken a punt on him partly through necessity and availability.

14 years since a win at Ibrox suggests is was a tall order to come back to Lanarkshire with 3 points, however the manner of the defeat and what a lot of people will have to put up with this week at work from both sets of OF fans leaves the bitter taste.

As someone already pointed out, if Stranraer went there and lost 6-0, I'm sure they'd be gutted to a man, despite their lowly 3rd division status. We however are a premier league team so this sort of loss shouldn't happen. I hope the result instills a steely resolve in our players, yesterday was the the lowest this season goes, from now on its forwards.

Personally I'd extend the training this week as the next three games are pivotal and nobody can argue there isn't room for improvement.

I cant believe the oh well it's only 3 points dropped. we've been crap for the 12 matchies McCall's been in charge. He ISN'T A GOOD MANAGER!!! Honestly how much damage is he going to be allowed to do before we WAKEN UP! Im so angry my hands are shaking writing this. As far as im concerned i wont be back this season and only interested to see Accies and StMirren getting beat cos they're the only 2 teams who'll finish below us. Some people are claiming we've been worse and yes we have but not at a time when it's £20 to go and watch this gumf. Ifeel sorry for the fans who were there yesteday. Our squad is tiny and we need players in. Do any of you honestly think McCall's the guy to get these players and get us back into the top 6 next season with Kenny Black? -_-

we've been crap for the 12 matchies McCall's been in charge. He ISN'T A GOOD MANAGER!!! Honestly how much damage is he going to be allowed to do before we WAKEN UP! Im so angry my hands are shaking writing this.

So what would you have the club do? Sack McCall and Black after just over a month in the job?

McCall's record is;

P10 W3 D2 L5 F9 A12: Wins against Dundee, Stranraer, and Hibs. Defeats to St Johnstone, Killie, Rangers X2, and Dun Utd.

Before yesterday we had only conceeded 6 goals in 9 games. Against column doubled in 90 minutes.

In the 10 games before that our record was;

P10 W4 D1 L5 F13 A12 Wins against Dundee United X2, St Johnstone, and ICT. Defeats to Accies, Hibs, Hearts, Celtic, and Rangers.

It certainly does appear as if things were just as bad in the 10 games preceding McCall's arrival. In fact we were fairly unlucky to lose against Rangers in the CIS semi, Killie in the league and even St J needed a dodgy penalty to win that game.

6-0 is embarrassing for sure but most posters realise we were playing with a couple of unift/injured players alongside a few youngsters.

I will stay on the fence until the summer and at least until the next 3 games. Someone was on here writing off the Aberdeen result - why?? They were gash against Dunfermline. I suspect most fans (including myself) will be even more apoplectic should we get beaten comfortably midweek. All our Players should give 110% on Tuesday night, anything less and they should be ashamed. Then we have 2 home games v 2 bottom sides in the SPL. Anything less than 5 points from these 3 games and we are in trouble..

As for that old chestnut - lack of money. We are not awash with it for sure, but we must have banked a minimum of £500k we did not budget for, in terms of 2 sky TV games, CIS semi and at least 1, possibly 2 games in Europe.

I think the best we will do is finish 7th or 8th and if we are lucky a Sc cup semi or even final. Still may have a reasonable season yet......

FFS, during Tommy McLean's first half-a-season in charge we were hardly doing the business with 7 defeats in the First Division and well off the pace. He turned it around. You can't judge anyone on a dozen games, Ross Count getting rid of McStay kind of suggests something behind the scenes rather than poor results-driven. We were humped yesterday, give McCall a reasonalbe chance until Christmas time. By then he'll have had the chance to mould his own side in the Summer, got to be given a reasonable amount of time.

first time in all my years of following the well.i have left game early.playing a very poor gers team.the excuses of us having a small squad wont wash.mcall is justifying my view that he was a very poor choice of manager.we have had 1 good display,against h**s in semi.all the rest we have been very poor,cumulating in todays shameful display.this is the worst rangers team in years.that comes from mates who are gers supporters.this is no knee jerk reaction.all of us who follow the well.know what it has been like.will see what mccall says in his email 2nite.the A 2 Z of excuses will no doubt be used.the season is falling apart with no sign of anybody being able to pull us through.as i said at the top shameful -_-
If you have never seen us get turned over by Raith Rovers for 5 goals at Starks Park then you have no idea the meaning of "Most Shameful Display Ever".

Despite what many people like to pretend, Rangers (and Celtic) are good teams who will beat us most games and completely destroy us in a few.

150/1 with Paddy Power to take the drop -_-

Ah, god bless Hamilton Accies.

I think we're being premature here with the comparisons to Maurice Malpas. Malpas was without doubt our worst manager. A man who played utter shite football all year long, didn't get the results and took in Calum Elliott, Danny Murphy, Paul Keegan and Trevor Molloy - all in one season and he payed a fucking fee for the last one there. He offended the fans, and signed Calum fucking Elliott. I don't think there is a more offensive comparison to make for a Motherwell manager than to compare him to that scrotum of a man. Yes we're on a shite run of form at the moment and yes we just got pumped by Rangers and McCall didn't do much to set the heather alight in the transfer window, but come on, Malpas he isn't...

Not yet anyway.

If we can get four points from the two at home we're safe as there is no way Accies will make up fourteen points on us even if we lose every other game. Even if they beat us I still suspect 11 may be too big a bridge for them.

With goal difference taken into account Hamilton would have to win 5 MORE games than the Well b4 the end of the season - not going to happen....especially if we take 3 points next Saturday or even just the 1.

Hamilton are doomed.....their only hope is that St Mirren can be caught.

That league cup game? Scottish Cup Holders, up against a First Division team, and they breezed past us 4-1. That was shameful.
I had wiped that one from memory. I was talking about a game when Ally MacLeod was the boss and we were floating around in the first division. The 79/80 Season, I think, when Raith beat us 5 - 2.