We're In Line For A Uefa Place Just Now........

mfcsuperwell

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was it me who said that? If it was, I've changed my mind now. I always wanted to go abroad to watch Motherwell in Europe - I've done that now, so I would now rather see claret and amber ribbons on the old trophy than anything else. I still think we should get a Euro slot if we did win it though. Not so sure about runner-up.

It was indeed yerself. I remember drunken and incoherently ranting about claret and amber ribbons on a bit of silverware that night. It should worry you that you now agree with me...

Not looking good http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=8/newsid=681138.html

Norway have taken up the running in the UEFA Fair Play rankings, with associations competing for three places in the first qualifying round of the 2008/09 UEFA Cup.

Current standings

Norway top the current UEFA Fair Play rankings, and would automatically receive one of the UEFA Cup berths if they are still there when the final rankings are released at the start of May. England, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Finland, Spain and Estonia are the other seven countries currently in the frame for one of the two places awarded via the Fair Play draw, which will be held at the City of Manchester Stadium on 13 May at 14.30GMT (15.30CET), between the pre-match press conferences before the UEFA Cup final.

Cut-off points

The overall UEFA Fair Play rankings will cover all matches played in UEFA competitions between 1 May 2007 and 30 April 2008. The current intermediary list includes matches played up to and including 17 March. For the current standings, only national associations that have played a minimum of 31 games are considered. This cut-off point is calculated by dividing the total number of UEFA matches by the number of national associations.

Surely no another week to wait.

Good job we're not in the top six. You'd have five weeks to wait to see if we could qualify through our league place. Let's work on the assumption that as there have been no Scottish sides in UEFA competition that there won't be enough points accrued for a Scottish team to qualify via fair play. So it's unlkely that we'll qualify. If you think like this, any good news is a bonus...

Good job we're not in the top six. You'd have five weeks to wait to see if we could qualify through our league place. Let's work on the assumption that as there have been no Scottish sides in UEFA competition that there won't be enough points accrued for a Scottish team to qualify via fair play. So it's unlkely that we'll qualify. If you think like this, any good news is a bonus...

That should be incorporated into the dossers charter :lol:

From today's Sun......

Scotland will learn next Friday if it is to have a staggering six teams in Europe next season - with Motherwell in line for a FIFA Fair Play Award berth.

The top three countries in UEFA's list will each gain an extra spot in the new Europa League.

Scotland were third behind Norway and Denmark when the list was last published in January. And the national side picked up no bookings in the World Cup qualifiers against Holland and Iceland in March.

A UEFA spokesman said: "We will release the list next week. It is down to the national association, but the extra place normally goes to the best placed side in their own Fair Play league."

The would priopel Motherwell - currently second behind Celtic in the SPL's Fair Play league table - into Europe alongside Celtic, Rangers, Falkirk and the third and fourth placed sides in the SPL.

It is printed in the paper, but I couldn't find it online though.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'll believe it when I see our name in the draw...

I totally agree, I'm not banking on it either, I was just posting this to shed a bit of light on the timings.

I totally agree, I'm not banking on it either, I was just posting this to shed a bit of light on the timings.

I know, not necessarily yourself I was trying to calm down. I just have a feeling in my gut that it's not going to happen for us. Which I'm not crushed about. It was always a long shot. But some posters seem to be getting in a frenzy over it...

I'm of the same mindset. However, if it's the first week in July and we don't find out until sometime in May, then it's a bit short notice for folk to arrange holidays from work, etc, so I might start making provisional plans.

Frazzle

its announced a week today so only 1 week to find out we are back in europe for definite!

the way i read it in teh paper is that we are practically in cause Scotland didnt pick up a booking or red card in their games since teh standings were announced back in january

I have a strong feeling we'll get this place. And why not, we have been the best behaved in the league to be honest. Shellic may be top, but they have clearly had the advantage of being who they are. Rongers, on the other hand, have at last been taken to task. Shellic have their share of thugs but seem to have the officials being a good deal more lenient with them.

Don't matter really as the table is on results up to, and including, midnight last night!

Dont forget that they are talking about the UEFA table finishing at midnight last night! We dont know for sure if thats when the SPL stop calculating our national league and I think its a safe assumption that all games in the season might be included.

The other comments about how we didnt get any bookings in the last two Scotland games are not the full picture as UEFA dont just deduct points for bookings but they award them for other criteria such as positive play, respect for your opponent, respect of the referee, behaviour of the crowd and all the team members and officials. Now on that basis many other countries may have scored points for Champions League games, etc and we may have been deducted points for the behaviour of those two Rangers @rseholes that were on the bench giving V signs!!!

Makes you start to think that this is not as clearcut as it sounds......thoughts?