2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Still baffled that we didn't receive a bid for Randolph over the course of 3 years.

That's the one I really, really don't get. The guy has been one of the most consistent players I've ever seen at Fir Park. He's improved since he's been here, but he's been great the whole time.

I can kind of understand the worries about taking some of our outfield players, as they are physically small, even by SPL standards, but Randolph is a beast physically already. Add in the fact that he's already performed down south (a Charlton fan at my work is still beeling about them letting him go), I totally agree, something is definitely odd.

I don't think there is anything going on behind the scenes I just generally don't think we are very good at standing our ground or making the most of our assests!

Take Nicky Law as an example, we knew last year we had a player on our hands! Why didn't we at that point offer him a 1 yr extension to his contract, say bye releasing Omar Daley and using his wages to increase Nickys dough, install a release clause of say £400k and have our position secured. If an English club wanted him they would pay that no probs and we would have our assets tied down longer. This is something that Utd tend to do, tie down their saleable assests and don't budge. How many times do you hear how we need to sell a player to stay afloat and we would consider bids for anyone?

In my opinion we let our players contracts run far too close before offering new deals. I am fully aware that money is ticht all round and we need to wait to consider our budgets but our assests are our lifeblood and we don't seem to protect them very well.

We should be chapping at Hutch door and saying, here son there's an extension and an extra £500 a week just now and tieing him down.

Darren Randolph is probably the best keeper I've seen at Fir Park in over 50 years. However in the English Premiership and Championship he'll be only one of many. There are loads of very good keepers in those divisions some first choice, some second and some third. At Birmingham he's been told not to expect an automatic first team place. Why would top English clubs, many of whom are struggling financially, rush to sign him?

Nicky Law? When he signed he told the club he'd stay for 2 years and not a day more. That is the crystal clear understanding when he came. The issue for the club then was do we sign him for 2 years or walk away? The question is was his 2 year stint a success or not?

• Like 1

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/doncaster-rovers-jordan-ball-shocked-by-rovers-exit-1-5734928

came across this when i was looking for info on the Donny game - young lad, sounds promising and seems to know where the goal is - being there from a young age, i guess he's not on a fortune and someone we could maybe look at? or do we think why bring in another young player when we have McHugh and Moore?

Take Nicky Law as an example, we knew last year we had a player on our hands! Why didn't we at that point offer him a 1 yr extension to his contract, say bye releasing Omar Daley and using his wages to increase Nickys dough, install a release clause of say £400k and have our position secured. If an English club wanted him they would pay that no probs and we would have our assets tied down longer. This is something that Utd tend to do, tie down their saleable assests and don't budge. How many times do you hear how we need to sell a player to stay afloat and we would consider bids for anyone?

In my opinion we let our players contracts run far too close before offering new deals. I am fully aware that money is ticht all round and we need to wait to consider our budgets but our assests are our lifeblood and we don't seem to protect them very well.

We should be chapping at Hutch door and saying, here son there's an extension and an extra £500 a week just now and tieing him down.

you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

even if we released daley we would still have to pay him the full amount of his contract. there is no guarantee a club would pay 400k for nicky law. why would hutchy sign an extension when he is probably looking to treble his wages and get a fat signing on fee when he leaves here?

• Like 1

even if we released daley we would still have to pay him the full amount of his contract. there is no guarantee a club would pay 400k for nicky law. why would hutchy sign an extension when he is probably looking to treble his wages and get a fat signing on fee when he leaves here?

Must be bad if Steelboy says I'm living in cuckoo land!!

Dont you think someone of Hutchy's age would accept an increase in wages? I do? When other clubs extend contracts of players do they always 'treble' their wages!

It's a hypothetical situation but its something I don't think we do enough!

Must be bad if Steelboy says I'm living in cuckoo land!!

Dont you think someone of Hutchy's age would accept an increase in wages? I do? When other clubs extend contracts of players do they always 'treble' their wages!

It's a hypothetical situation but its something I don't think we do enough!

he is not going to accept an increase in his wages now if it hinders his chance of getting a much bigger increase down the line.

hutchy is a cert to be playing in england by august 2014 whether we sell him or he leaves for free in 12 months. taking into account henrik's extra ciricular trip to poland i doubt he will be signing another contract either.

he is not going to accept an increase in his wages now if it hinders his chance of getting a much bigger increase down the line.

hutchy is a cert to be playing in england by august 2014 whether we sell him or he leaves for free in 12 months. taking into account henrik's extra ciricular trip to poland i doubt he will be signing another contract either.

I think we all know footballers don't always look at the long game, the short term financial gain is the norm as we are constantly told in the media it's got a short lifespan. Earning that extra buck whilst having security incase of injury generally persuades a lot of players.

:laugh: :laugh:

you might sign an extended contract to get an extra £500 a week for the next two years but anyone in hutchy's situation with half a brain would let their contract run down and get a big signing on fee and wage increase down south next summer.

also if i was hutchy i'd be looking at reynolds and murphy and thinking i'd rather pick a club next summer than just go to whoever offers the club a bit of money.

You're bang on the money Steelboy.

We were sitting beside Hutch' family at the County game, and from speaking to his dad, he's more than happy to stay but understands that if a big enough offer comes in then the club won't really have any other option but to sell him.

That sounds more like it to me.

Steelboy gets a bit of bad press on here at times, mostly when it comes to his judgement of players, particularly the big fat, lazy fucker that only scores goals (we all know who he is), but I tend to find that when he isnt talking about players ability he is generally spot on and is certainly spot on in this case.

Hutchison will only sign a new contract if he wants to see Motherwell get a fee for him, and in that case he would be a strange breed of footballer in the modern game. He is destined for bigger things than we can offer, and will be able to command far higher wages than we can muster (and a large signing on fee to boot) when he lets his contract rundown in 12months time

I know that's the case ONFY my whole point is that we as a club make it easy for them to do that.

Our own players where stating in April we hadn't offered them contracts as yet.

My point is we need to take that option away from them if possible and protect our assest. Players have the power now, we all know that but whose to say some loyalty ala Murphy or Clarkson cannot be found.

Don't give them the option to sign and they won't, there heads will be turned and they will leave. Give them the option and the temptation if extra cash and you never know what might happen.

At no point did I say they would 100% sign on the line whatever we put in front of them, I'm saying we need to as a club fight harder to keep them rather than let them walk away.

I know that's the case ONFY my whole point is that we as a club make it easy for them to do that.

My point is we need to take that option away from them if possible and protect our assest. Players have the power now, we all know that but whose to say some loyalty ala Murphy or Clarkson cannot be found.

Don't give them the option to sign and they won't, there heads will be turned and they will leave. Give them the option and the temptation if extra cash and you never know what might happen.

At no point did I say they would 100% sign on the line whatever we put in front of them, I'm saying we need to as a club fight harder to keep them rather than let them walk away.

Players and their agents aren't daft. They know fine well they can sit their contact out and cherry pick the best deal when the time comes.

releasing Omar Daley and using his wages to increase Nickys dough

blink.gif

You're aware that if we released him we'd still have to give him those wages? So you're idea would actually cost twice as much.

I've said it too many times now....the thought of fans controlling the club makes me shit my pants.

The way I see the problem is that with a club like ours, we don't have the luxury of offering players extended deals (which undoubtedly would mean an increased wage) as we tend not to know what our playing budget will be from one season to the next. Everything is so heavily dependent on the club performing well in the league and getting to a certain stage of the cup, that the club have to plan the budget realistically. Throw in the added financial uncertainty surrounding the game in Scotland just now, and the fact that every year the available funds seem to shrink and I don't see that there's any way the club can plan their budget that far in advance.

I understand the argument for planning long-term, by extending deals and trying to ensure we get a decent fee for our top players, but when the short-term is as uncertain as it still is in Scottish football, I don't think the club can afford to make those kind of deals.

• Like 2

We only have to pay full wages if the agreement isn't by mutual consent. Players quite often agree to be released for a set fee.

Jesus Christ we have some right pedantic pricks on the site who seriously think they know fucking everything.

laugh.gif dummy out the pram much!?

We only have to pay full wages if the agreement isn't by mutual consent. Players quite often agree to be released for a set fee.

Jesus Christ we have some right pedantic pricks on the site who seriously think they know fucking everything.

If you think pointing out things like that comes down to pedantry then this is a pointless discussion in the first place. You'd be great in a board meeting..."well Mr Army im not sure this would be a viable option because of x/y/z"

"right then ya pedantic prick!"

#haveacokeandasmile

• Like 1