The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

sailor_h

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

• Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment

It is the players that vote though ?

Most pundits and fans of other clubs that I have read and heard pretty much expected Turnbull to win. 

Feel sorry for the lad, but in many ways I would rather have him at Fir Park for another season, so happy if this outcome keeps him under the radar a little longer.  Unlikely but......

I don't take these awards seriously as they are very subjective and in reality are influenced by a range of factors other than ability and performance.  Unfortunately Iain the fact that David Turnbull didn't win the award will have no bearing on when he leaves. 

Obviously still in the running for this award next season. Not something you can expect from Jake Hastie.

Seriously though, Kent being nominated for the senior award must have made him favourite for the young player award. One cannot help but wonder what young David’s chances would have been, had he put in performances like he has for us while playing for either of the ugly sisters? Perhaps I am being paranoid, but it seems to me that you need to be substantially better to scoop one of these awards while playing for a provincial club.

Obviously I'm being cynical here and haven't bothered to check if the statistics back this up, but much like the general population, most players probably support Rangers and Celtic. Likely to slant the voting for Old Firm players for the Players Award..?

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Obviously I'm being cynical here and haven't bothered to check if the statistics back this up, but much like the general population, most players probably support Rangers and Celtic. Likely to slant the voting for Old Firm players for the Players Award..?

Certainly one major factor in the equation Greg.  Undoubtedly the voting system is flawed. 

37 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Certainly one major factor in the equation Greg.  Undoubtedly the voting system is flawed. 

All voting systems are flawed, one way or another. How would you suggest they do it instead?

38 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I’m not sure exactly how the voting works, but other than being involved in 3-4 games v Motherwell, players are going to base their opinion on televised games, given that all Rangers and Celtic’s away games are televised that’s going to give them much more exposure...

Turnbull has probably only really started getting wider recognition over the last few weeks, which was perhaps after the votes were made.

I thought Lewis Ferguson might’ve pipped him as  he has had a bit more exposure over the season and had a strong start.

Maybe Kent won some votes for punching Scott Brown.... :lol:

• Like 1

Every player in every league gets to vote. Given that most of them never play against Turnbull and, statistically, about half or more are OF fans, they are always going to vote for a Rangers or Celtic player.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Every player in every league gets to vote. Given that most of them never play against Turnbull and, statistically, about half or more are OF fans, they are always going to vote for a Rangers or Celtic player.

^^^^This

Maybe a fairer way would be to have awards for every division and only the players in that division get to vote. That way you can only vote for someone you are likely to have played against.

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

To be slightly fairer to the players and credit them with some objectivity, the coverage of Scottish football would massively favour Old firm players as you’ll only see Turnbull in a game against a team with 20 times our resources.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Not only that, unless they've went to the trouble of subbing to MFCTV they've likely never even seen that much of him outside of highlights on Sportscene.

On 5/7/2019 at 2:46 PM, sbcmfc said:

To be slightly fairer to the players and credit them with some objectivity, the coverage of Scottish football would massively favour Old firm players as you’ll only see Turnbull in a game against a team with 20 times our resources.

Everyone voting should be forced to sit down and watch all the nominated players' seasons on WyScout. Otherwise they're taking the piss and not doing their job properly tbh.

• Haha 1

McInnes saying Lewis Stevenson should get it because he has come on OVER A FULL SEASON. Everybody seems to think Turnbull has only played since the turn of the year. Every Sunday and Monday all the writers have been raving about Turnbull and giving him man of the match awards so surely they will vote for him.

33 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Lewis Ferguson is decent competition for Turnbull...I've been very impressed by the boy any time I've watched him.

He’d have to get out of David Turnbull’s back pocket to collect the award though.

• Like 3

• David locked this topic