Jump to content

sailor_h

The 'Magnificent' David Turnbull Discussion Thread

On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?  

112 members have voted

  1. 1. On Motherwell's handling of the David Turnbull situation, what are your thoughts (assuming no minimum release clause)?

    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons.
    • Think we should have held out for more, but still sold this summer
    • Think we should have kept David for at least one more season
    • Happy we have accepted the quoted fee of 3.25m + add ons, but shouldn't have accepted a bid from a club in Scotland
    • Other thoughts. Please comment


Recommended Posts

While delighted he is staying i’m not sure there are any winners here. Turnbull will be gutted and is now left wondering how his future will pan out, no one knows how that’s going to effect him moving forward. We will need to look again who we bring in because i’m pretty sure some of that money was already as good as spent and we now lose our most influential player for a prolonged period regardless. I would also think we will be lucky to see close to 3million again regardless simply because his contract will start running down and I doubt very much he’s going to sign any form of extension. I’m usually a glass half full individual but here are a few negatives to this.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wellup83 said:

I'm more concerned about the massive comedown Turnbull will have as a result of this outcome and hope it doesn't sour relations between him and the club. That said, I'm pleased the club stuck to their guns and weren't bullied. I also firmly believe Turnbull can come back stronger for this and get his move in January. 

On a human level you have to feel gutted for David. He is only 19, and thought he had won the Lottery, but someone then nicked his winning ticket. BUT hopefully he will win again with a much larger prize fund. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any Celtic fan seethe on twitter? I don't use it but would love to see some. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mainly just shots at MFC for not knowing about the injury, or knowing but keeping it secret from “the boy”, and being tinpot because we don’t do comprehensive medicals at the end of every season. They definitely don’t know who he is and aren’t bothered in the slightest that they didn’t sign him, and are not spending their day being all knowing medical professionals on twitter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Any Celtic fan seethe on twitter? I don't use it but would love to see some. 

Of course.

Goldmine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Mainly just shots at MFC for not knowing about the injury, or knowing but keeping it secret from “the boy”, and being tinpot because we don’t do comprehensive medicals at the end of every season. They definitely don’t know who he is and aren’t bothered in the slightest that they didn’t sign him, and are not spending their day being all knowing medical professionals on twitter.

Its nonsensical.

How could the club know that he required surgery, but not the player himself.

Its his medical records ffs :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think DT will be out for a lot longer than people think.

I’m hoping the club will make an announcement fairly quickly once they have him examined by whichever specialist doctor we use to cut down on the speculation. ..... and I’m assuming your statement is purely speculation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DT, no doubt will be gutted but I am confident that when he is back up and playing we will see him at his best again. He never missed a game when he broke into the team with this alleged injury and scored 15 goals so it can't be bothering him that much, so he will get his big move. 

And Celtic will see another great Scottish talent move out of their price range,for ever, 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think DT will be out for a lot longer than people think.

Do you know more about this?

I've got mixed views about the whole episode.  Short term we now have much needed clarity but over a longer timescale there's still alot of uncertainty. 

First of all I feel sorry for the lad himself - the expectation of a move and then a huge letdown.  At 19, how will he cope with such a letdown? Anything I've read indicates "preventative" rather than remedial action.  That sounds slightly more positive.  I don't suppose he or the club will know much more until he's had his operation, or procedure as its now known.  However I've read he'll be out of action for anything from 10 weeks to 6 months.  

From the club's perspective they've lost a huge payday for now anyway.  Will the lad recover fully?  How much longer will he actually play for us?  Will he be worth much less with say 18 or even 12 months left on his contract?  Would he sign a further year's extension?  Will Celtic come back in for him once he's recovered (for a smaller fee of course)?

Many questions but few answers.

From the club's perspective they seem to have handled this well telling Celtic to do one.  I qualify that by adding that we don't know the terms of Celtic's revised offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CSmith said:

Scott Mullen suggesting Turnbull will be lucky to be back this side of Christmas. 

I’ll wait on the info coming from fir park 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Do you know more about this?

I've got mixed views about the whole episode.  Short term we now have much needed clarity but over a longer timescale there's still alot of uncertainty. 

First of all I feel sorry for the lad himself - the expectation of a move and then a huge letdown.  At 19, how will he cope with such a letdown? Anything I've read indicates "preventative" rather than remedial action.  That sounds slightly more positive.  I don't suppose he or the club will know much more until he's had his operation, or procedure as its now known.  However I've read he'll be out of action for anything from 10 weeks to 6 months.  

From the club's perspective they've lost a huge payday for now anyway.  Will the lad recover fully?  How much longer will he actually play for us?  Will he be worth much less with say 18 or even 12 months left on his contract?  Would he sign a further year's extension?  Will Celtic come back in for him once he's recovered (for a smaller fee of course)?

Many questions but few answers.

From the club's perspective they seem to have handled this well telling Celtic to do one.  I qualify that by adding that we don't know the terms of Celtic's revised offer. 

Agree with this Dave a lot of questions to be answered, but the main one for me was answered ie we did not bend over and let Celtic shaft us for a no doubt derisory offer in their revised terms, well done to Alan Burrows and the board.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with all on congratulating Motherwell on the way we have handled this and the board deserve tremendous credit. 

Sadly however this is potentially disastrous for the player and the club. You can't help but feel for Turnbull and can only hope he makes a full recovery. From the clubs point of view we may not see that level of fee available again and that could have changed our direction completely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I’ll wait on the info coming from fir park 

Mullen is closely connected so might not be far off. 

I've heard everything from 2 months to 6 months. If its preventative as the club have said (i.e. there is no problem right now but could be in the future) then 6 months seems a very lengthy lay off. 

That said, I'm not a surgeon! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He picked up an injury on holiday not during the season which is why the club knew little about it.  FWIW I’m glad we rejected celtics revised offer but it will now be very difficult to get a similar transfer value in future

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it’s a six month layoff for a preventative procedure, how serious was a potential injury in the first place?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, CSmith said:

Scott Mullen suggesting Turnbull will be lucky to be back this side of Christmas. 

Club stating that the length of time he'll be out for will only be known once he's had the operation.  Didn't know Scott Mullen now did horoscopes for the paper as well now..

Figures  I've heard in 3 to 6 months. 6 months would be Christmas so I guess being back before that would mean he would be at the lower end of rehab time. Which would be lucky for him. You see, there's your story there: guy out for 3-6 months, if he's back before the 6 months, it'll be good luck for him. In other news, water found to be wet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mullen gets his info directly from Burrows.

If the holiday story is true he'll be gutted.He should be chasing up Celtic to make sure they delete every copy of his signing interview as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WellEast said:

Agree with all on congratulating Motherwell on the way we have handled this and the board deserve tremendous credit. 

Sadly however this is potentially disastrous for the player and the club. You can't help but feel for Turnbull and can only hope he makes a full recovery. From the clubs point of view we may not see that level of fee available again and that could have changed our direction completely. 

We never had the money, only the prospect of it for 5 mins so I don't think the board will have a new direction and operating model for the club sorted out. So we are still on the same course as last year, ie developing our own talent and bringing in others from elsewhere at little or no cost and then move them on at a profit, it has served us well in recent years. So basically what we never had we won't miss.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a piece on Football Scotland that seemed to have quite a lot of detail in it.

 

It was linked by someone on P&B I had never heard of the website afore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's signed to summer 2021, and is a genuine talent and a well fan. Every chance this will work out fine, he'll get back to fitness and form and move to england next summer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

We will need to look again who we bring in because i’m pretty sure some of that money was already as good as spent

I'd be hoping that the club had their budget and plans drawn up long before Turnbull's move to Celtic was proposed. And if they changed those plans based on a windfall that was nowhere near being guaranteed then that's been a massive own goal.

I'm pretty certain it isn't the case though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was one of the guys critical of board for accepting the bid at that price. I now want to commend the board for rejecting the adjusted offer and showing some "steel". If we are still in cup by xmas we could have multi million £ player ready to enhance our team and progress. Also don't forget Mcginn went for about 3 mil and he had 1 year left.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×