Game 28: Hamilton Accies (A) 22nd February 2020

Andy_P

9 hours ago, couttsy said:

‪Easy option is to go 4-3-3 with Gillespie, Grimmy, Tait, Hartley & Gallagher, 3 from Campbell, Donnelly, Ohara & Polworth then Watt & Aarons & Long (Maciver if not fit). However I’d go 3-5-2 with Gillespie, Gallagher, Donnelly & Tait. Aarons & Hylton as wingbacks, Campbell, Ohara & Polworth, Watt & Long (Maciver if Long not fit‬).

Talk of dropping Gillespie is crazy in my opinion.....With the exception of Gallagher I think he’s been our player of the year.....

That assumes that Gallagher is fit and we've heard nothing at all about that. Both camps will be keeping their cards close to their chest until the last possible moment. I suspect Robbo and Rice will be stoking the injury crisis talks about known casualties but will keep quiet, as usual,  about any additional ones.  My reason for suggesting we reintroduce Carson at the expense of Gillespie is down in large part to his poor distribution in recent games. While Grimshaw and Hartley have rightly received flak for their poor distribution more often than its been Gillespie who has put them in trouble by giving them the ball when they're being closed down by high pressing attackers.  The fact that he's moving on in the summer and that Carson will be our No 1 is also a major factor.  A midfield 5 has its attractions on paper but depends on the personnel you have at your disposal.  Hylton cannot defend and although Aarons has played in a defensive/wing back role before he would need to be instructed to stay wide unlike Tuesday.  Our midfield 5 didn't work in Tuesday's first half.  Hopefully Long will be fit but I really don't think MacIver is ready yet.  

Much will depend on who is injury free and also who is fit enough.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

That assumes that Gallagher is fit and we've heard nothing at all about that. Both camps will be keeping their cards close to their chest until the last possible moment. I suspect Robbo and Rice will be stoking the injury crisis talks about known casualties but will keep quiet, as usual,  about any additional ones.  My reason for suggesting we reintroduce Carson at the expense of Gillespie is down in large part to his poor distribution in recent games. While Grimshaw and Hartley have rightly received flak for their poor distribution more often than its been Gillespie who has put them in trouble by giving them the ball when they're being closed down by high pressing attackers.  The fact that he's moving on in the summer and that Carson will be our No 1 is also a major factor.  A midfield 5 has its attractions on paper but depends on the personnel you have at your disposal.  Hylton cannot defend and although Aarons has played in a defensive/wing back role before he would need to be instructed to stay wide unlike Tuesday.  Our midfield 5 didn't work in Tuesday's first half.  Hopefully Long will be fit but I really don't think MacIver is ready yet.  

Much will depend on who is injury free and also who is fit enough.  

Agree with much of what you've said re Hylton, Aarons and MacIver, although our options at full back without Carroll are really poor. Grimshaw has been terrible for weeks in my opinion, with Tait being almost as bad when he has come in at RB.

Dropping our goalkeeper for throwing the ball out to defenders under pressure when he's been instructed to do so because we have no physical presence up front is harsh in the least! Hopefully with Watt (and maybe MacIver) coming in we're back to having better options for him to hit with throws and kick outs. 

Who has or hasn't signed contracts beyond this  season cant come into our thinking at this stage. Maybe if we are secure in top 6 and not getting into Europe then that becomes a consideration. 

I think the inclusion or not of Gallagher tomorrow could swing this game one way or the other......Lets hope he's fit and ready to go!

4 minutes ago, couttsy said:

I think the inclusion or not of Gallagher tomorrow could swing this game one way or the other......Lets hope he's fit and ready to go!

Absolutely. An injury update from Gavin MacCafferty on Twitter. Carroll is out for the season and will require surgery. Turnbull is back in full training and is just waiting on the go ahead from his consultant to start playing again. Gallagher, Long, Mugabi and Hartley all fit for tomorrow. So that gives us some options thankfully.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Absolutely. An injury update from Gavin MacCafferty on Twitter. Carroll is out for the season and will require surgery. Turnbull is back in full training and is just waiting on the go ahead from his consultant to start playing again. Gallagher, Long, Mugabi and Hartley all fit for tomorrow. So that gives us some options thankfully.

Bad news re Carroll, who is another that’s had a good season in my opinion, he also gives us that balance being left footed! Hopefully we’ll have Dunne and Turnbull back in a few weeks.

A midfield of Campbell, Ohara and Turnbull, with Dunne, Donnelly and Gallagher at the back and Watt & Long up front sounds appealing. Add Aarons who has done well and you have more than the makings of a good team.

My feeling of doom after Tue is finally starting to lift...  Life as a Motherwell fan, eh....

• Like 2

id go 352 again as teams now no if their fullbacks push tight on our wingers we are knackered.  so gillespie. gallagher. donnelly. tait as back 3. grimmy and aarons wingbacks. ohara campbell and polworth in middle. with watt and hopefully long up front but if maciver is in then im happy enough with that too.  i am a big fan of polworth and in the cup game i felt he also had a huge impact 2nd half. yes sometimes his passes didnt complete but some were brilliant. he also i felt covered more ground than anyone else. we really need a win to re ignite the positivity.

• Like 1

I thought Robinson might also have been referring to Grimshaw in his comments about being too loyal to certain players. Caroll’s injury means he’ll likely stay in the team  though. 

Gillespie

Grimshaw Gallagher Donnelly Tait 

O’Hara 

Campbell Polworth 

Aarons Watt Long 

18 minutes ago, gee said:

I thought Robinson might also have been referring to Grimshaw in his comments about being too loyal to certain players. Caroll’s injury means he’ll likely stay in the team  though. 

Gillespie

Grimshaw Gallagher Donnelly Tait 

O’Hara 

Campbell Polworth 

Aarons Watt Long 

I would go with that team. But whether Robinson does who knows. OHara should start. Maybe Hartley will get a stay of execution if he was actually unwell as reported. But personally I would go with Donnelly until he is suspended and then hopefully Dunne will be fit. 

3 hours ago, Ross said:

Why has dunne turned into Maldini since he’s been out injured?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would honestly contend that a fit Charles Dunne is currently better than Paolo Maldini.

To be fair to Paolo, he is fifty one. It is also interesting to note that predictive text prefers " Maldivian" to "Maldini". And finally, does anyone else have issues with a player whose first name is Charles? I am sorely tempted to start the ball rollong on finding a nickname for Charles Dunne. Anyone for "Chico"?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The African said:

I would honestly contend that a fit Charles Dunne is currently better than Paolo Maldini.

To be fair to Paolo, he is fifty one. It is also interesting to note that predictive text prefers " Maldivian" to "Maldini". And finally, does anyone else have issues with a player whose first name is Charles? I am sorely tempted to start the ball rollong on finding a nickname for Charles Dunne. Anyone for "Chico"?

A Chico Roll:biggrin:

• Haha 1

Dunne and Gallacher was Robinson's preferred pair at the start of the season so I can see him reverting to that.

For Saturday I think it's too early for Dunne and if Gallacher has recovered itll be:

Gillespie 

Grimshaw Donnelly Gallacher Tait

Polworth Campbell O'Hara 

Long Watt Aarons

Which is a good looking side on paper. I think it's a front three with a genuine threat all across it, it's an actual front three rather than a centre forward and two wingers.

Though I can see the temptation to go with a packed midfield against Accies so going with a back three.

10 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Dunne and Gallacher was Robinson's preferred pair at the start of the season so I can see him reverting to that.

For Saturday I think it's too early for Dunne and if Gallacher has recovered itll be:

Gillespie 

Grimshaw Donnelly Gallacher Tait

Polworth Campbell O'Hara 

Long Watt Aarons

Which is a good looking side on paper. I think it's a front three with a genuine threat all across it, it's an actual front three rather than a centre forward and two wingers.Though I can see the temptation to go with a packed midfield against Accies so going with a back three.

Agree with your opening comments. Not a bad side on paper but even if we did announce that it'd never be a 4-3-3; it would turn into a 4-4-2 or even a 4-5-1 as soon as we took the field like the first half on Tuesday and yes we'd end up trying to bottle up the central midfield in a typical derby day scrap with this choice of players. We have to bottle up the wings.  

13 hours ago, The African said:

It was all so much easier in his first season when he drew his magnificent locks back into a scrunchy and Dunne The Bun was born.

• Haha 1

I'm not sure I've seen anyone saying Dunne is a world beater. But, in my opinion, he's certainly a better option than Mugabi. I reckon I'd have him in before Hartley to on recent form too....think I'm happy to give Donnelly a shout at the back today though. Albeit with my reservations posted above.

24 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Cash gates will be in operation

How much are these shysters expecting us to pay to watch us play against complete diddies on a joke of a pitch in brutal conditions?

Trying to work out if i should walk down the hill& put myself through it or find a more comfortable activity.

23 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

How much are these shysters expecting us to pay to watch us play against complete diddies on a joke of a pitch in brutal conditions?

Trying to work out if i should walk down the hill& put myself through it or find a more comfortable activity.

£25

• Thanks 1