2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

David

Squad's looking good, and any additions to it are a bonus as far as I'm concerned... unless we lose anyone. Hopefully getting everyone in place early sets us up for a good start as well. We could field a pretty settled / first choice team tomorrow, which I'm not sure many of our competitors could say... signings by other teams seem to have been few and far between so far.     

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Looking forward to seeing his cheery face next season!!...only joking good news but now let's concentrate on getting wingers unless he maybe sees Polworth as a wide option. COYW

Polworth is never a winger in a billion years! The lad from Wigan will be the LW option

16 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Just hope if true then he can get his focus and attitude right.  

Aside from his red against Hamilton then I'm not sure his focus or attitude could be questioned. Aye, he was dour faced but that's absolutely fine - he wanted to score goals and it wasn't always happening for him. I never doubted his commitment. 

• Like 1

Long is a good signing for the squad. If we stick with the 4-3-3 it's going to be competitive for the centre forward position. Hopefully he starts scoring against the better sides as well as the bottom feeders.

If it is 5 subs next season then there should be more game time for everyone and hopefully opportunities to blood Semple and Cornelius. 

33 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Long is a good signing for the squad. If we stick with the 4-3-3 it's going to be competitive for the centre forward position. Hopefully he starts scoring against the better sides as well as the bottom feeders.

If it is 5 subs next season then there should be more game time for everyone and hopefully opportunities to blood Semple and Cornelius. 

Why would it be 5 subs? I thought the English doing that was to counteract injuries and strains caused by a short "pre season" before finishing this season?

17 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Why would it be 5 subs? I thought the English doing that was to counteract injuries and strains caused by a short "pre season" before finishing this season?

It's been proposed, but don't think it's been rubber-stamped yet.

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) are set to extend the current temporary ruling, which is being used in the Premier League, to cover the whole of next season, according to The Athletic.

Leagues, which resumed their 2019/20 term, were allowed to incorporate the measure until the end of the campaign, but it is set to be extended.

The change will be implemented at the discretion of each league. This could lead to yet another vote by the SPFL to discover if clubs are keen for the rule to come into play.

The introduction of five subs would benefit those clubs with a deeper squad, especially Celtic and Rangers who are likely to have more options to choose from when it comes to trying to influence games off the bench.

In the Premier League, managers are able to name nine substitutes instead of the usual seven.

Additionally, it could also lead to more game time for youngsters, especially with doubts over reserve and youth team football in the coming months.

Managers could give players valuable minutes and experience of first-team football.

There will also likely be concerns over player fitness, even more so in Scotland, after such a long break, while top-flight clubs are yet to play any pre-season games with just over three weeks left until the Scottish Premiership is scheduled to begin.

I would go for 5 subs as there is many a game when you think could make 10 changes lol . Got to keep same rule though that can only be made on 3 occasions plus half time . If no reserve league if we have a 21 man squad would give more game time to fringe players . I’m for it but need to decide soon as season starts in 3 weeks 

1 hour ago, wellowell said:

I would go for 5 subs as there is many a game when you think could make 10 changes lol . Got to keep same rule though that can only be made on 3 occasions plus half time . If no reserve league if we have a 21 man squad would give more game time to fringe players . I’m for it but need to decide soon as season starts in 3 weeks 

If it is 5 subs I’d like to see a rule that 2 were from the U21 squad. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuwell2 said:

Would be great to see but judging on the signings we are making the club seem to have forgotten about the youngsters.  We seem to be spending a lot of money which I dont know where it's coming from as Robbo was pleading poverty a few months back, but you know what if we go on to have a great season and fingers crossed get a run in Europe I will be the first to say great decision,  I just feel we still need a great youth academy...COYW

38 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Would be great to see but judging on the signings we are making the club seem to have forgotten about the youngsters.  We seem to be spending a lot of money which I dont know where it's coming from as Robbo was pleading poverty a few months back, but you know what if we go on to have a great season and fingers crossed get a run in Europe I will be the first to say great decision,  I just feel we still need a great youth academy...COYW

Don’t think that we have forgotten the youngsters more like they are not ready yet and so we are spending to keep our position 

• Like 2

I wasn't a huge fan of Chris Long, but nor did I think he was dreadful. An ok signing..

Balance of the squad looks slightly off to me. Three players that cam play left back, only one right back. A vast array of midfielders (particularly if Semple and Cornelius are considered part of squad) but very few options on the wing. Vast majority of the first eleven that took us to third place are still there but have a niggling feeling we might struggle this season...

10 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I wasn't a huge fan of Chris Long, but nor did I think he was dreadful. An ok signing..

Balance of the squad looks slightly off to me. Three players that cam play left back, only one right back. A vast array of midfielders (particularly if Semple and Cornelius are considered part of squad) but very few options on the wing. Vast majority of the first eleven that took us to third place are still there but have a niggling feeling we might struggle this season...

Based on the fact that we have a stronger squad than the one that finished 3rd last season ? 
Based on the fact Hearts should not be in the league.                                                                                                                                                                                  Based on the fact that other teams may not be able to add as much quality to their squads due to Covid19 impact. 

Not having a go but not sure the facts back up your concerns. I am only concerned because when we get our hopes up usually we come a cropper. No science behind this - just a lifetime following Motherwell FC.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

11 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Be careful what you wish for.

I have heard it said that when there was a similar rule previously back in the SPL days about two subs having to be U21 or whatever, many clubs were not fans. Players were listed as subs simply because they had to be, the manager had no intention whatsoever of playing them unless absolutely forced.  It also created scenarios akin to that of Dom Thomas, seeing as he's topical and all, where players that might have benefited from the experience of going out on loan and playing with a lower league team required to be retained in case they were needed to help the club meet the two youngsters obligation.

• Like 2