2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

Since the contract announcements are starting to roll in, Anyone heard any rumours etc, massive rebuild on the cards, however one which is very much required, a lot of deadwood in the squad. 

I'd like to see Cole resign, however he might have earned a move down south, even more so if he gets another couple before the season is out. Wouldn't be against Long either, if he was up for it.

Donnelly is like a new signing, however I feel as though we say that every season, even though his injury this time round was ridiculously bad luck.

only Rumour I have heard is Scott Robinson, someone also mentioned John Guthrie at Livi as he is out of contract.

this years out of contract players, might not be 100% as a few of ours have resigned and they still appear;

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scottish-premiership/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/SC1

17 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

I think some need to temper understanding  of rebuild and what that entails.

Not going to discount rumours. Recruitment will differ though, nothing cryptic, there’s change afoot...

yes, maybe I didn't word that too well, I'm certainly not expecting a new face to come in for every one that departs. Maybe an interesting summer is more apt? 

Do love a rumour though, think most fans do haha.

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

Since the contract announcements are starting to roll in, Anyone heard any rumours etc, massive rebuild on the cards, however one which is very much required, a lot of deadwood in the squad. 

I'd like to see Cole resign, however he might have earned a move down south, even more so if he gets another couple before the season is out. Wouldn't be against Long either, if he was up for it.

Donnelly is like a new signing, however I feel as though we say that every season, even though his injury this time round was ridiculously bad luck.

only Rumour I have heard is Scott Robinson, someone also mentioned John Guthrie at Livi as he is out of contract.

this years out of contract players, might not be 100% as a few of ours have resigned and they still appear;

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/scottish-premiership/endendevertraege/wettbewerb/SC1

Not sure I would want Long for another season, talented but not convinced he will push on with us. Cole, well that’s a different matter but he will surely now get a decent club down south along with Kelly.

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Not going to discount rumours. Recruitment will differ though, nothing cryptic, there’s change afoot...

Hopefully a change in direction from bloated squad of journeymen, to a sleeker more streamlined squad with a sprinkling of quality, supported by our academy graduates!

6 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Hopefully a change in direction for bloated squad of journeymen, to a sleeker more streamlined squad with a sprinkling of quality, supported by our academy graduates!

strikes me as a real make or break time for some of the academy boys, nowhere near enough game time for most of them, some could maybe have done with being shipped out but we weren't able to due to injuries. Max Johnstone is young enough and will maybe head out on loan next season. Where does that leave Semple, Devine, Hussain, Robinson etc?

I think 80% of next year’s squad is already at the club. A small number of ‘quality’ players should be added.  Trying to build something from a solid core will be easier than trying to get 11 new mercenaries to gel. 

• Like 1

Maybe time to try a new head of recruitment?

I'd love to keep Cole, but he's got a brand to keep up and I'm not sure we fit in with that. However, He really could raise his stock by showing some consistency at one club for a bit.

I also don't see us signing 8-10 players. Maybe 4 or 5. 

48 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Hopefully a change in direction from bloated squad of journeymen, to a sleeker more streamlined squad with a sprinkling of quality, supported by our academy graduates!

The model we’ve worked with this season was always unsustainable. Alexander has already intimated this so a squad reduction is a given.

Still plenty of that core group remain as we’ve seen by those re-signed also. A streamlined squad with a sprinkling of quality supported by our academy graduates? The numbers don’t stack up...

46 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

strikes me as a real make or break time for some of the academy boys, nowhere near enough game time for most of them, some could maybe have done with being shipped out but we weren't able to due to injuries. Max Johnstone is young enough and will maybe head out on loan next season. Where does that leave Semple, Devine, Hussain, Robinson etc?

I’d expect development will change as recruitment method changes.

The bulk of our development group aren’t contracted so interested to see the wastage, natural and enforced.

Shipped out those who felt needed the experience & decided others development was best served around the first team but, haven’t offered game time - that’s a false economy. Before the usual suspects downcry that ideal - I’m well aware of the position we’re in and the variables involved. It’s a fine balance, taking Fortmartine as an example we decided at 4 and 5 nil up to introduce a loan player, an ageing short term deal who’d offered us 7 minutes previously then Lamie was given appearance money. For a club who advocates a clear pathway, they certainly aren’t practising what’s preached.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

You are such a bloody tease OTF...

One wonders if the does mean a change in the recruitment dept and approach. 

It is clear we will run with a smaller squad. We need too. This season reminds me of the Les Hutchison era. Flirting with relegation and loosening the coffers to bring in numbers in the hope it works. You could legitimately argue it has worked and that without Liam Kelly and Devante Cole as examples we could still be in the bottom 2 league places. 

I am in the minority in that I like Chris Long. Only because I know there is a very decent player there. He shows it in bursts like 2nd half on Sat. If (a BIG if at that) he screwed the nut and put in that type of performance in every game over 90 minutes he would be some player and sold for a reasonable fee to boot. 

17 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I am in the minority in that I like Chris Long. Only because I know there is a very decent player there. He shows it in bursts like 2nd half on Sat. If (a BIG if at that) he screwed the nut and out that performance in every game over 90 minutes he would be some player and sold for a reasonable fee to boot. 

I’m with you, there is a player ( and a very good one at our level) in Long. But we’ve got to play him in his right position 

As you rightly say in the 2nd half on Saturday he looked a totally different player from that of the 1st half.

WHY …… we went to 2 up front and this is where Long comes into his own ……… how many times since he came here has he been played in a 2 up top ???

Playing as a lone striker or on the wing in a front 3 just does not suit him and he seems to loose interest 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

I’d expect development will change as recruitment method changes.

The bulk of our development group aren’t contracted so interested to see the wastage, natural and enforced.

Shipped out those who felt needed the experience & decided others development was best served around the first team but, haven’t offered game time - that’s a false economy. Before the usual suspects downcry that ideal - I’m well aware of the position we’re in and the variables involved. It’s a fine balance, taking Fortmartine as an example we decided at 4 and 5 nil up to introduce a loan player, an ageing short term deal who’d offered us 7 minutes previously then Lamie was given appearance money. For a club who advocates a clear pathway, they certainly aren’t practising what’s preached.

This really grinded my gears as well, replacing Campbell with Lamie, whilst Cornelius sits on the bench, Cmon.

A few posters have covered my thoughts already already.

Given Alexander's comments when he first came in that there we do have a decent squad but it's fuckin massive, and the fact he's got us sitting 5th in the form table tells me we'll keep the core of this squad, reduce numbers and try bolster with some quality instead of quantity. 

How the academy fits into this I don't know. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

This really grinded my gears as well, replacing Campbell with Lamie, whilst Cornelius sits on the bench, Cmon.

Same here. I just didn't get it. At that point in the game and sitting a good few goals up why not give a youngster a chance?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

You are such a bloody tease OTF...

One wonders if the does mean a change in the recruitment dept and approach. 

It is clear we will run with a smaller squad. We need too. This season reminds me of the Les Hutchison era. Flirting with relegation and loosening the coffers to bring in numbers in the hope it works. You could legitimately argue it has worked and that without Liam Kelly and Devante Cole as examples we could still be in the bottom 2 league places. 

I am in the minority in that I like Chris Long. Only because I know there is a very decent player there. He shows it in bursts like 2nd half on Sat. If (a BIG if at that) he screwed the nut and put in that type of performance in every game over 90 minutes he would be some player and sold for a reasonable fee to boot. 

Long is just not consistent enough, mentality wise you don’t know what version you are getting not even on a game by game basis but a first half v second half basis. I think if he settled with a strike partner he could work with he could be very good, I’m just not convinced that will ever happen with us. Even then I still think he only came back up again because he could not get a deal anywhere else.

I would certainly go for a smaller squad but with decent quality, it will be interesting to see what transpires with GA completely in charge, as I cannot say his January deals were anything but impressive especially when Lawless and Kelly were done deals before GA arrived, it will be interesting to see if Charlie Dunne gets a new deal especially if he hasn’t played for 18 months!!

I imagine Dunne will be offered a deal but one on low terms keeping with our tradition of not totally discarding injured players. Which is similar to what happened with Tanner.

Dunnes strongest part of his game was his pace so it will be interesting to see if he can regain that after what he's been through injury wise.

I think our team next year will be a lot more similar to this years side than what people think/hope.

8 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

The model we’ve worked with this season was always unsustainable. Alexander has already intimated this so a squad reduction is a given.

Still plenty of that core group remain as we’ve seen by those re-signed also. A streamlined squad with a sprinkling of quality supported by our academy graduates? The numbers don’t stack up...

Can we not even afford that?

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Can we not even afford that?

Eh? My point wasn’t budgetary, although how much we’ve utilised on an international defender may well be debatable. Who knows? Not party to that.

The numbers I alluded to were a streamlined squad will already have around 80% of its core already at the club & those retained. Add in the development players and this sprinkling of quality and we’re on bloated squad numbers... again. Simple logistics or too simplistic a view?

I’m seeing talk of a rebuild, adding quality - what are the expectations? Robbie Crawford for example, as a squad filler is a fanciful notion, where’s the improvement?

After this season I'd settle for losing 10x underachievers and getting in 5x aboveaveragers. Of course we could rock up in August with a lean, mean, 3 pointing machine and do a Leicester.

As OTF points out in his own inimitable way, Robinson near the end and Alexander have tended to favour "experience" over age. I'd say ambition and hunger in a young immature lad can often make up for someone stolling it at their 10th club in 10 years.

The lack of engagement as reported with the fringe players is if the case, is concerning because so much of our model depends on that conveyor belt. It's earned us £5m+ in the past few years.

Essentially Alexander comes across as a hard taskmaster who's office you go to only for a bollocking not a friendly coffee and hobnob.

From the current squad, we stand to lose:

Kelly,  Chapman,  Gallagher, Magloire, Nolan, Dunne,  Campbell, Foley, Polworth, Hastie, Long, Cole, Seedorf, Roberts, robinson, Smith

That would be a loss of 16, 9 of whom have done next to nothing this season. 

Unless someone under contract leaves, we are left with:

2 keepers - Carson, Morrison 

2 left backs - Mcginley, Carroll

2 right backs - O'donnell, Grimshaw

2 centre backs - Lamie, Mugabi

5 midfielders - O'Hara, Donnelly, Crawford, Lawless, Maguire

1 forward - Watt

Unless I've missed anyone, that's 14.

We probably need at least another keeper (hopefully Kelly), and a Striker (hopefully Cole), a backup striker/ a winger or two, a centre back, and even though we have the numbers in there, we really need something better in midfield, especially with Campbell going. So a minimum of 6.  So a squad of 20ish seems possible. 

I'm ot sure of the status of the younger ones, i.e. Devine, Hussain, Mciver, Cornelius and Semple however.

• David locked this topic