2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

I’ll stick to judging them when they sign. Only guy I ever berated was signing Carroll which probably taught me the line above. 
Leave everyone else to say Shankland’s done. 
There are some posts that say he may not fit into the system or that he would be too expensive but I firmly disagree he is a championship level player. 

7 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'm one of those saying no to Shankland. He's just not very good. You make the Watt companion. There was never really a question of Watt's ability, just application and attitude. For me, there are huge question marks over all three with Shankland...

There was always question marks over Watts ability to stick the ball in the back of the net. As much as we could all see his football brain and technical skills, did any Motherwell fan seriously think Watt would be hanging around the top of the goal scorers chart?

That doesn't mean i disagree with you on Shankland by the way

7 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'm one of those saying no to Shankland. He's just not very good. You make the Watt companion. There was never really a question of Watt's ability, just application and attitude. For me, there are huge question marks over all three with Shankland...

I actually think Shankland is pretty much in the same place as Watt was when he came to us, namely a problem with application and attitude not ability. I seem to remember he scored a ridiculous goal for United from half way, no problem there with ability. However at the moment I think his head is up his arse and if someone can get it out of there they would have a player the same level as Watt.

36 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Look … … … Let’s get this Shankland pish hit on the head. He was on £4k a week at United which I think was one of the main reasons that they wanted to offload him.

No way are we going to pay anywhere near that amount of money !!!! 

He also can't play for another club this season due to the registration/transfer rules unless they are on a different calendar like Scandinavia or Ireland etc. Only allowed to turn out for 2 clubs which he has already (same situation for Jordan Roberts, due to 1 League cup appearance for Hearts)

So if Shankland wants to come back to Scotland this window, Dundee Utd are his only option.

So he's not coming to us right now. Thankfull in my opinion - not a fan.

Looks more and more like Watt will stay which I'm fine with. I'm sure he will give it his all.

(Edit: As si91 mentioned earlier in the thread)

36 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A good decision. GA has turned our club around since coming in and you can see progress. This will give us continuity going forward and hopefully convince out of contract players to commit.

Agreed, and should secure us a wedge if he is poached.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

A good decision. GA has turned our club around since coming in and you can see progress. This will give us continuity going forward and hopefully convince out of contract players to commit.

Not being a fan of his appointment and still having serious doubts until  October it would be churlish not to acknowledge there is most definitely been improvement as the season has progressed long may it continue .... he has to be congratulated for securing the club financially should someone wish to take him. Not many players or managers do that. Even if TW had signed a contract he'd have got bigger wages and he'd still have got a move.  

Great news mixed with the realisation that he will be picked off by another club should he carry on being relatively successful with us, we just receive a little more in compensation. We’re heading in the right direction and hopefully regardless the model we have adopted continues.

Hi everyone hope you are all good.  I am currently studying business and I am writing a report on the transition to fan ownership at the club.  As part of the report I have to include the opinions of other fans of the club as I am not allowed to use my own opinions.  I have made a survey to get responses on the subject and would really appreciate if anyone is able to help me out, the survey will only take a couple of minutes so it won't be too long.  I will post the link here if anyone has time to complete it, thanks again.  https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/867RBRX

I am new to this page so apologies if this kind of post isn't allowed and I will take it down no problem.

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

Great news.

We've often had managers living outside Scotland or away with international squads but Alexander seems committed to doing the job properly and it is getting us results. 

I was trying to figure out who our last manager was that was resident in Scotland rather than commuted home to England/N. Ireland at the weekends. I think it might have been Craig Brown.

9 hours ago, weeyin said:

I was trying to figure out who our last manager was that was resident in Scotland rather than commuted home to England/N. Ireland at the weekends. I think it might have been Craig Brown.

Brown lived in Troon.

McGhee, McCall and Robinson all lived outside Scotland. Robinson eventually moved to Scotland for personal reasons. Not sure about Barraclough. Malpas commuted from Dundee.

I was having beers with a mate of mine in Manchester the other day and his brother was there. He spent a season with Caley Thistle whilst Malpas and Butcher were there, I told him what Motherwell fans thought of Malpas in particular, his dour demeanour and his infamous "that's just your Donald Duck" quote. He was quite surprised by it and said that Malpas was an absolute character, always cracking jokes and keeping morale up, but at the same time was far scarier than Butcher overall, although he did tell me a story about Butcher having to be held back from ripping one of his players to pieces at half time once.

Also apparently Richie Foran loved a pint, who knew?

• Like 1

See Jake Hastie  couldn't make the grade at Thistle and they declined the option to extend his deal. Has a player ever become so wealthy on the back of 10 games.... Hes played 101 games in 5 years an utterly pathetic return for someone apparently so talented . 65 of those games were pre 2019. Rangers got their fingers burned with that one. He is a prime example of why players should jump at the money. 

• Like 1

A good article earlier today in The Herald does a good job breaking down Hastie's career to date.

WHEN Jake Hastie burst onto the scene with Motherwell in January 2019, it wasn’t long before he was considered one of Scottish football’s top prospects.

So enamored were Rangers, in fact, that by May they had agreed a transfer for the precocious winger to the tune of £350,000. Three years later, and it’s difficult to imagine Hastie playing regularly for any team in the top two tiers in Scotland.

Hastie was handed a four-year deal at Ibrox in a decision that looks increasingly baffling as time marches on. The winger shone brightly during the run-in in the 2018-19 campaign but had achieved little of note up until then, with a loan spell at Airdrie the previous year and another six-month stint at Alloa the only real exposure to first-team football Hastie had. In 55 games across the two spells, he chipped in with seven goals and 10 assists – a fine contribution, but hardly the sort of form that was making the whole nation sit up and take notice.

That all changed when he returned to Fir Park and was handed his chance by then manager Stephen Robinson, and it was one that was seized with gusto. A run of six goals in nine consecutive Premiership outings between February and April was apparently all it took to persuade Rangers to stump up the cash.

It’s fair to say that Hastie hasn’t exactly delivered on that early promise. The 22-year-old has played a grand total of 11 minutes for the Rangers first team (he came off the bench for a 3-0 win over East Fife in August 2019) and although establishing himself as a regular in the starting XI was always going to be a long shot, green shoots of progress are nowhere to be seen. Loan spells have been arranged to try and kick-start the youngster’s career after years of regression, and not a single one has come close to working out.

At Airdrie during the 2017-18 campaign, Hastie racked up a respectable 2170 minutes over the course of the season. The following year he went one better, playing 3049 minutes between Alloa and Motherwell. In the three years since, he has managed just 1824.

It is a huge problem for Hastie and one that appears to be getting worse. Players need regular football, that much is obvious, yet there is a worrying pattern emerging for Hastie over the last few years. Generally speaking, he tends to get a few starts towards the start of his loan spells but as the season progresses, opportunities become few and far between.

It happened at Rotherham, where Hastie played 1045 minutes in total. He started each of the English League One outfit’s opening eight games before featuring as a bit-part player for the subsequent 16 fixtures before being sent back to Glasgow. At Motherwell last season, Hastie’s minutes played again took a significant dip as he managed just 665. He featured sporadically under Robinson during the first half of the campaign and when Graham Alexander replaced the Northern Irishman in the dugout, Hastie dropped out of the matchday squad, save for the odd appearance here and there.

Hastie had had multiple opportunities in the top flight but hadn’t made the most of any of them, so a loan move to Partick Thistle was arranged during the summer. Playing in the Championship, the thinking went, would allow Hastie to finally receive some much-needed game time and playing in the second tier would allow him to shine.

It hasn’t worked out that way. The Jags have a small squad with just 21 members and are conspicuously short of options at right wing – Hastie’s preferred position – yet the wide player has barely featured at all for the Firhill club. Six appearances might not sound too bad at first until you realise that all have come via the bench, and that Hastie has played a mere 114 minutes this term. Injuries and niggles have played their part, too, but the clear inference is that the 22-year-old’s performances in training haven’t been up to scratch. Kyle Turner, nominally a No.10, has regularly being preferred on the right of Thistle’s midfield.

Hastie’s loan expires in the coming days and the prospect of McCall extending the winger’s stay in Glasgow’s West End looks remote indeed. Quite simply, there is no justification for retaining his services.

It leaves Hastie at a crossroads as he approaches a crucial juncture in his career. If Thistle didn’t work out, it is difficult to envisage another Championship club taking a punt on a player that hasn’t delivered any sort of meaningful contribution in years. Where next, then? League One? League Two?

It is a remarkable nosedive for a player that seemingly had the world at his feet not so long ago. At 22, time is on Hastie’s side and his latest failed loan stint must act as a wake-up call. In 18 months’ time Hastie will be a free agent and without stark improvement, there is no telling just how dramatic the winger’s fall from grace could be.

• David locked this topic