2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I know there is often a push on here to sign players from the Scottish leagues rather than the lower leagues down south so I would imagine a popular bit of gossip. As with every signing we make it’s a gamble, he’s fairly young but his record is pretty average and I’m not sure the snippets I’ve seen give a real indication of his ability to make the step up. Personally I don’t care where we sign players from, it’s all about finding those diamonds regardless of where they come from, for every Lui Moult there is always going to be a few who don’t make the grade.

I actually made a comment a few months ago that we he would b worth having a look at. Started at Albion Rovers I think and got a move to sunderland and never quite kicked on. Seen him a few times on Alba on a friday night but that's about it, looked tidy, Scored a lovely goal at Tynecastle.

https://www.facebook.com/spflofficial/videos/️-totw-st-connor-shields-️-it-took-shields-just-2-minutes-against-hearts-to-brea/1502530343282925/

I've seen shields a couple of times this season and I think he would be a decent signing for us,I wouldn't be surprised if we don't keep long and replace him with shields.i would like to see us go for regan hendry at raith rovers,I think he could really make the step up,I'm not sure about his contract situation there so it might be a non starter anyway.

6 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

So where do we stand in the playing budget pecking order?  7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th or  last? 

reports often suggest around 8th/9th.  To be honest I would expect a lot of similar (fish) budgets for many of the clubs.

Top tier - Old form
2nd Tier - Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs

Then it's would be reasonably marginal between the rest .  The odd few owner bank rolling new signings or money from transfers would be the key difference , (other than core crowds)

17 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

So where do we stand in the playing budget pecking order?  7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th or  last? 

I don't know for sure but based on comments from the club I'd guess 8th, 9th or 10th?

7 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Not doubting you but genuinely curious how you know St Johnstone have a top six budget?

From several sources. An ex work colleague of mine was a friend of Tom Wright; articles from the Dundee Courier; and last but least reliable,  posts from P & B when I used to visit that site. 

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't know for sure but based on comments from the club I'd guess 8th, 9th or 10th?

Theres been various articles / sources over the years saying we budget based on the guaranteed income of 10th place and no cup runs. Obviously clubs all have differing streams of income from other sources and different outgoings outwith the playing squads so its difficult to say where we sit in terms of playing budget. I think he general consensus is we tend to be in the bottom of 3 at best depending on who else is in the league. 

2 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

I would say budget for finishing 10th, and anything above that is a bonus, we have learned the hard way with the John Boyle years the dangers of reckless spending.

A top 6 finish and a European place and / or a decent cup run are the targets for 10 of the 12 premiership clubs every year, and to be honest given the standard outwith the ugly sisters you don't need to spend big to achieve those targets.

We are a well run, and seemingly financially stable club at the moment so I hope it stays that way. 

• Like 1

Literal guesswork but I'd be surprised if it's not something like

1. Celtic

2. Rangers

3. Aberdeen

4. Hibs

5. Dundee United

6. Killie

7. St Johnstone

8. Motherwell

9. Ross County

10. St Mirren

11. Livingston

12. Hamilton

There's a table floating around the internet that has Ross County as number 12 for this season. Can't remember the full list, but I think we were 9th or 10th.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, of course. Also, I imagine it depends how you define budget. Some tables I have seen are average salary, some are total cash available some include money spent on transfer fees etc.

50 minutes ago, Yassin said:

Literal guesswork but I'd be surprised if it's not something like

1. Celtic

2. Rangers

3. Aberdeen

4. Hibs

5. Dundee United

6. Killie

7. St Johnstone

8. Motherwell

9. Ross County

10. St Mirren

11. Livingston

12. Hamilton

I would be surprised if St Mirren were 10th, they've spent a few quid this season trying to break the top 6. Quaner for example was allegedly on 20k a week at Huddersfield before he joined them, I can't see him moving to Paisley for anything within our wage structure.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

There's a table floating around the internet that has Ross County as number 12 for this season. Can't remember the full list, but I think we were 9th or 10th.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, of course. Also, I imagine it depends how you define budget. Some tables I have seen are average salary, some are total cash available some include money spent on transfer fees etc.

Ross county (did) pay pretty well as well from memory, Maybe they have scaled it back now right enough but I vaguely remember some chat when Jackson Irvine signed for them that we were also in for him but could get nowhere near Ross county's offer.

Roy Macgregor back's them very well.

For the previous season. Looks about right. Cannot get over the discrepancy between Celtic and everyone apart from Rangers. They should be winning every game by 5 or 6 goals !!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/547202/average-annual-first-team-player-salaray-football-clubs-scottish-premiership/

“We not only remain in positive discussions with some of our players but also with a number of clubs in relation to one or two players we had on loan, with a view to doing something. But these things take some time."

Im guessing one is Kelly, and hopefully the "two" is Roberts.

For a new gaffer, it's probably quite useful to have all these contracts and loans expire and have plenty of scope to start building the type of team he wants.

Kelly and Roberts would certainly be welcome back - as, of course would Cole.

6 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Thought Long would have been offered something, Alexander seemed to take a liking to him. 

Seedorf has to have been one of the worst players I’ve seen in C&A. 

I’m of the opinion that Long needs another club, he’s not really developed with us in my view.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

“We not only remain in positive discussions with some of our players but also with a number of clubs in relation to one or two players we had on loan, with a view to doing something. But these things take some time."

Im guessing one is Kelly, and hopefully the "two" is Roberts.

Pleased to see him doing the clear out needed. No point being timid , bold is better.. I've said for months we should punt 90% of them , they served up a season of utter mind numbing pish. Surprised they are keeping Dunne mind you.

8 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Thought Long would have been offered something, Alexander seemed to take a liking to him. 

Seedorf has to have been one of the worst players I’ve seen in C&A. 

Long might not have wanted to be at the club. No point offering contracts to people who want away or think they are better than they are.  He only came back cos no one came in for him. Theres just something no right about him. Will be no great loss.

• David locked this topic