David

2022/23 ins & outs discussion

All speculation of course, but that's close season boredom for you.

Of the teams that finished ahead of us, three are likely to improve and even if they don't they will still be stronger than us. Money talks. Dundee Utd could stay about the same level even with Siegrist gone. Jack Ross knows what he is doing and has a point to prove. So it would not surprise me if they do improve but not to the extent of top three.

Of those clubs who finished below us, I could see County and Livi struggling to stay at last season's level as top players leaving such limited squads must have an adverse affect. But how often have we thought that about those two Clubs? And been proven wrong.

Aberdeen and Hibs will be much better and recent/pending recruitment indicates they will be stronger. Again finance plays a huge part. And if anybody wants to wager Aberdeen will not end up better than 3rd bottom please get in touch. St Mirren  I think will be much the same, although they will be harder to beat under Robinson. St Johnstone are the team I think could go either way. Can they possibly be as bad as last season? They strolled through the play off, a bit like us against Rangers, so will start this season on a high. If pushed, I expect them to improve. Finally, I think Kilmarnock will offer much more than Dundee. Especially given that atrocious home pitch and with McInnes in charge.

As for us, I think to improve we have to bring in at least four quality players....a striker, two midfielders (one holding one creative) and (given the question marks regards fitness) one Central defender. Beyond that a left back and a winger would be a bonus. With Woolery, Carroll and McGinley still around I don't expect those two areas to be a priority for Alexander no matter what us fans think.

Also for us to improve I think Alexander has to take a much more flexible approach to how we set up game to game. Become a bit more unpredictable. He moved on from 4-3-3 towards the end of the season and we were able to secure 5th place. I don't think we would have been looking forward to Europe had he not made those changes. I do fear he will go down the 4-3-3 route once  again though and I am far from convinced the current squad can make that formation  work for any length of time. Oh, and no Mugabi at right back please. That experiment failed.

So in summary, unless we recruit wisely and are flexible formation wise I can see several clubs pushing past us. Like others have said,  let's go for quality above numbers.

48 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Of the teams that finished ahead of us, three are likely to improve and even if they don't they will still be stronger than us. Money talks. Dundee Utd could stay about the same level even with Siegrist gone. Jack Ross knows what he is doing and has a point to prove. So it would not surprise me if they do improve but not to the extent of top three.

Of those clubs who finished below us, I could see County and Livi struggling to stay at last season's level as top players leaving such limited squads must have an adverse affect. But how often have we thought that about those two Clubs? And been proven wrong.

Aberdeen and Hibs will be much better and recent/pending recruitment indicates they will be stronger. Again finance plays a huge part. And if anybody wants to wager Aberdeen will not end up better than 3rd bottom please get in touch. St Mirren  I think will be much the same, although they will be harder to beat under Robinson. St Johnstone are the team I think could go either way. Can they possibly be as bad as last season? They strolled through the play off, a bit like us against Rangers, so will start this season on a high. If pushed, I expect them to improve. Finally, I think Kilmarnock will offer much more than Dundee. Especially given that atrocious home pitch and with McInnes in charge.

As for us, I think to improve we have to bring in at least four quality players....a striker, two midfielders (one holding one creative) and (given the question marks regards fitness) one Central defender. Beyond that a left back and a winger would be a bonus. With Woolery, Carroll and McGinley still around I don't expect those two areas to be a priority for Alexander no matter what us fans think.

Also for us to improve I think Alexander has to take a much more flexible approach to how we set up game to game. Become a bit more unpredictable. He moved on from 4-3-3 towards the end of the season and we were able to secure 5th place. I don't think we would have been looking forward to Europe had he not made those changes. I do fear he will go down the 4-3-3 route once  again though and I am far from convinced the current squad can make that formation  work for any length of time. Oh, and no Mugabi at right back please. That experiment failed.

So in summary, unless we recruit wisely and are flexible formation wise I can see several clubs pushing past us. Like others have said,  let's go for quality above numbers.

Regardless of what formation he plays if he can somehow manage to coach the players into not making stupid mistakes he will put a lot more points on the board. So up to the players as well to be a bit more aware and savvy about decision making. Whether that be in defence or midfield or even in attack. 

Aberdeen and Hibs will never be as bad again and I think Kilmarnock will be better than Dundee were so yes I do. 
This is all based on what exactly?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Haggischomper said:

All pure speculation I think, the only thing we know for certain is that one of  the ugly sisters will finish 1st and 2nd and it will be any permutation of the other 10 teams split 4 chasing Europe and 6 avoiding relegation, same as it is every other year.

2 hours ago, dennyc said:

If there is one think I’ve learnt while supporting Motherwell it’s that every season we’re predicted to do badly with a percentage always stating we’re doomed to certain relegation with the worst squad in the history of the club. It’s always ended up better than many think. There is absolutely no guarantee that other clubs will do better any more than there is that we will do worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

All pure speculation I think, the only thing we know for certain is that one of  the ugly sisters will finish 1st and 2nd and it will be any permutation of the other 10 teams split 4 chasing Europe and 6 avoiding relegation, same as it is every other year.

2 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

It's a reasonable assumption that clubs with fanbases  x2 what we have will have finances and the clout to improve and be beyond what we can do.  Historically Aberdeen and Hibs have been ahead of us, think it's reasonable to expect them to get their shit together.

Overall all things being equal our most likely position Im guessing is 7th with Old/New Firm Hibs/Hearts all ahead of us. If we squeeze in front of any of them then kudos to the club.  

My biggest concern is GA continuing with his 3/4 changes every match. Hope he can settle on his best 11 and stick mainly with them.

10 hours ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Andy Dibble set to be the new goalkeeping coach according to Daily Record website 

If that is true would be interesting...highly rated....in fact would be an ahem....TOP CATch.......sorry folks

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

If that is true would be interesting...highly rated....in fact would be an ahem....TOP CATch.......sorry folks

Where's the "groan" emoji?

• Haha 1

On 6/19/2022 at 8:33 AM, FirParkCornerExile said:

We only managed to finish 5th because the rest of the league were utterly pitiful and even worse than us . Never if my life have I seen week after week results go our way even when we fucked up week after week. That won't happen again.  Aberdeen and Hibs will not be as bad next year. Kilmarnock will not stand still. The standard of our play last season was eye bleedingly bad. We had the 3rd worst defensive record in the league. I think we need 5 or 6 . If Spittal turns our to be the deal that obviously becomes 4/5 

Absolutely this.

We were awful last season but a combination of Tony Watt bailing us out from August - December, the majority of the rest of the league being just as awful and an utterly astounding amount of luck saw us finish in a false position.

So far we have signed one player and while I’m sure more will follow, I have absolutely ZERO faith in the manager and the scouting team bringing in the players that we need.

Only time will tell of course but I reckon that next season is going to be an absolute fucking riot for us.

6 hours ago, Haggischomper said:

Based on the fact that Aberdeen and Hibs end up in those positions once in a blue moon. Their resources generally ensure they wont. They can buy better players than most so most seasons they will not occupy 9th and 10th spot. However if you wish to wager me £100 Aberdeen and Hibs will be lower than 8th next season I'll bite your hand off for that bet.

14 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Its not true in your eyes its true in mine. Time will tell who is right

Fair doo's! :P

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Based on the fact that Aberdeen and Hibs end up in those positions once in a blue moon. Their resources generally ensure they wont. They can buy better players than most so most seasons they will not occupy 9th and 10th spot. However if you wish to wager me £100 Aberdeen and Hibs will be lower than 8th next season I'll bite your hand off for that bet.

Hibs have made an arse of things more often than not. How many relegations have they had since we last went down? 

4 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

:doh:   

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I’ll bet you 100 quid one of them finishes in the bottom six. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, MJC_mkII said:

Absolutely this.

We were awful last season but a combination of Tony Watt bailing us out from August - December, the majority of the rest of the league being just as awful and an utterly astounding amount of luck saw us finish in a false position.

So far we have signed one player and while I’m sure more will follow, I have absolutely ZERO faith in the manager and the scouting team bringing in the players that we need.

Only time will tell of course but I reckon that next season is going to be an absolute fucking riot for us.

Some folk say that every season though, never happens.

9 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

:doh:   

Is that not "Boss Cat" ?:rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, andalg said:

Is that not "Boss Cat" ?:rolleyes:

Only in the UK where the show's title had to be changed due to it also being the name of a brand of cat food.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be great to go back to the good old days when we signed a raft of quality players in the Summer and were looking forward to a successful season

mwell.jpg

Lets be positive until proved otherwise, the manager is happy with the training camp, he knows the funds available, getting new staff in, players to follow and a European game to kick off another season. We can't affect what other teams do or who they sign, they are so far all unknown quality some will be good some will flop but we can all support Motherwell with a hope the manager has learned from the tail end of last season.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

They can buy better players than most but have chosen Curtis Main , Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Funso Ojo, Matty Kennedy, Matty Longstaff, Marley Watkins etc.   I mean some of those players are better than others but none of them are a different class from provincial club level players.  You can say the same for Hibs.

Aberdeen have been dire under their last three managers, will probably lose their two best players (already lost one) and have a manager who has been causing a lot of backscene turmoil and has never finish Top 6 in his career.

Meanwhile Hibs are a giant question mark with a manager untested in Scotland, still no proven Martin Boyle replacement, a giant squad of aging players (Marshall, Hanlon, McGregor, Stevenson, McGinn etc) and mediocrity, Josh Doig looking like going down south and probably Ryan Porteous being suspended for half the season.

Aberdeen and Hibs should be finishing Top 6 but too often they don't and I don't see anything to suggest that either of them are guaranteed Top 6 football next year.  I mean they might finish Top 6 but you can pretty much say that about any team.  

Would anyone be super surprised if Derek McInnes outperforms Jim Goodwin next season?  I don't even think McInnes that good a manager but I wouldn't.

2 hours ago, andalg said:

Wouldn't it be great to go back to the good old days when we signed a raft of quality players in the Summer and were looking forward to a successful season

mwell.jpg

Hopefully better quality than some in that photo 

4 hours ago, andalg said:

mwell.jpg

Distinct lack of quality in that photo, from McClair back,  good guy, wk, wk, wk,wk, wk, wk, wk

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Distinct lack of quality in that photo, from McClair back,  good guy, wk, wk, wk,wk, wk, wk, wk

Who are you counting as a good guy in that photo ??? Not McClair surely ? (The original McCair was a good guy, the one that came back was a wk).

7 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

Some folk say that every season though, never happens.

Maybe, but given how we played for the majority of last season and our managers baffling line ups and constant tinkering then it doesn’t bode well. Does anyone really see much, if anything changing next season? I’m not saying I think we’ll be relegated, but we won’t be far off it I fear.

5 hours ago, andalg said:

mwell.jpg

At least we had a decent home kit then, white shorts aside.

• Sad 1