2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Not sure why, but I have more faith in McCall than I had in McGhee or Brown to bring in,players that will do a job...

Kind of know what you mean Melv, I think its the fact that instead of spouting off in the papers about the amount of contacts he has and the type of players he's going to get in, SMcC appears to be quietly going about his business leaving the papers -and a few on here - to speculate on who he's trying to bring in.

Obviously we won't know how sucessful this approach is until the transfer window closes but i think we'll see some (hopefully) good signings and possibly a loan deal over the next three weeks and a further couple of loans as the window closes.

While I might or might not agree with your assessment of where we're short, a bit of realism is required here. I'd describe your list as "what we'd like to see brought in" not as "needs". Three strikers would be excessive given we have Murphy who can play there. We have two players who are adequate SPL right backs. And I think every club in the SPL could do with the midfielder you described...

Our budget will only stretch so far. We should be looking for players who can perform various roles, similar to Murphy, Gunning and Hateley...

Well we've lost Sutton & Blackman/Jeffers - two first choice strikers and Casagolda who was brought in as back up. There's no indication yet that Bob McHugh or Gary Smith are ready to make the step up. Whilst we might have 2 adequate stand ins at right back we haven't had an out and out right back for a year or two and its shown. Lasley & Jennings are too similar in style and neither is able to back up our strikers.

If Randy leaves, I'd be happy with Hollis stepping up and then looking for a reserve keeper.

Something tells me he is seen as a safe pair of hands when needed but not viewed as a number one.

Strong rumours in Paisley that former Well players Stephen Hughes and Jim 'Stepover' Paterson are in possible signing talks with the Saints.

Paterson's back up the road in Blantyre, jogging about the streets in his Plymouth gear. Still slow as shite!

Would quite like to have Hughes back, but wouldn't touch Paterson. Guy did a great job in the 6 months before he left and got us Stevie Hammell back with the money from his transfer, but nah. No thanks.

I think most people are looking at Randolph as our biggest asset.....and we very rarely keep them for long. I've seen Hollis a couple of times and whilst a good shot stopper he doesn't command his area or have the physical presence of Ruddy or Randolph. Won't be our first choice (except during times of injury or suspension). The fact he hasn't had many matches in his career might make him feel he has to move on again. Personally, I hope he stays as back up for one more year.

Paterson's back up the road in Blantyre, jogging about the streets in his Plymouth gear. Still slow as shite!

.....and I'd still be wearing it if I signed for St Mirren :ph34r:

Surely, there are better options for Stephen Hughes than the Buddies????