Dundee Utd Vs Motherwell Discussion Thread

Stuarty

If you believe in fate/coincidence,there are a few from our cup win in 1991&this year!

-manager is an ex H*n;

-ass manager is an ex H*n&M'well player;

-we beat the Beggars 2-0 at Fir Park in the league;

-we drew the cup holders in one round;

-we played Dundee Utd;

- the quarter final went to a replay;

-one player has scored in every round

All coincidence or fate....time will tell....

If you believe in fate/coincidence,there are a few from our cup win in 1991&this year!

-manager is an ex H*n;

-we played Dundee Utd;

You missed out that trouble was flaring in the middle east and we beat the holders (not happened yet but if the rest holds true....)

As for today's game I thought it was excellent. Enjoyed that more than any other game I've been to this season. Both teams had a right good go and we saw two goals of the highest quality. You just wonder why we don't possess that threat more often. I just wonder if having Lasley and Jennings in the team hampers us creatively sometimes as the midfield today had a much greater influence on the offensive side of the game.

Early on I thought Saunders and Murphy were going to cost us with their defensive duties on our right side. Neither got close enough to Conway and United had obviously seen that area of the field as a weakness but as time wore on Conway got lazier and drifted out the game before being hooked.

Going forward Jeffers and Sutton were a handful and the vision that Jeffers has keeps so many defences true and in check. With another yard of pace in Jeffers I think these two could have great fun over the rest of the season but that was his best game I've seen him play.

We passed the ball well (which we did last week as well to be fair) but there was a bit of a cutting edge this time and every ball was about creating space.

On the whole we did OK defensively and Craigan's experience kept the shape. A couple of scares in the first half but a couple of real lapses with Daly in the second. The goal he scored from our point of view was a disgrace and the free header he got after he sauntered on from the bench at a corner was criminal - no lesson learnt there from last week.

However after that setback I was impressed that we kicked on and tried to win it. Both of us had chances and I don't think either team deserved to lose.

Thought it was quite a physical game and to be fair I thought we gave as much as we took and the referee decided to be lenient both ways and I have no problem with that as long as he is consistent. Goodwillie's antics after we kicked the ball out were shocking though there is nothing a referee can do about that. Sadly the man is just a cretin.

But if the second game is as good as that my heart will be knackered and one team are going to be very unlucky to be out.

I just wonder if having Lasley and Jennings in the team hampers us creatively sometimes as the midfield today had a much greater influence on the offensive side of the game.

Early on I thought Saunders and Murphy were going to cost us with their defensive duties on our right side.

Very much so. Jennings and Lasley are too similar in style. Midfield had a strange game today. They started well and finished well but in between sat too deep, came off second best physically and didn't support our two strikers. It had an unbalanced look to it with 3 defensive players and one offensive player who was having an off day. If Stuart McCall made any errors today it was that he didn't get the midfield right. Oh for a box to box central midfielder!

Saunders had a poor game as did Murphy but in the latter's defence, defending was never his strong point.

Just in from the game. I can't really add anymore. It was a great blood and snotters cup tie. The away support was great, we made plenty noise and got right behind the team.

John Sutton again played a blinder. Chased lost causes, got stuck in and scored 2. That's a goal in each round. :notworthy:

Sadly, it was defensive blunders that cost us the game. Two lapses of concentration = two goals.

Jamie Murphy had an off day, which is a shame. Franny Jeffers showed that he still has a bit of class and was one step ahead of the game on several occasions. Keith Lasley ran and ran. He has came on to a great bit of form.

Sadly, the stewarding was shit, frankly. Being constantly told to sit down got on your tits after a while.

David Goodwillie = :wank:

We should beat them at FP (2 - 1, 4 - 3 over the two games... :ph34r: ). Hopefully, a tenner a nut again will let us create a great atmosphere and we can roar the boys through to the Semi's.

Still in the cup. Maybe our name's on it this year...

COYW

-manager is an ex H*n;

-we played Dundee Utd;

It could also be added that Celtic put out Rangers in a game at Celtic Park and that Darren Jackson was (then as now) a skip-licking fud.

If I can replicate the level of abuse I hurled at Sam McGivern in the Falkirk game, then we might be onto something. Oh aye, David Badboaby's coming to Fir Park. :mosking:

SHE WORE, SHE WORE A CLARET AND AMBER RIBBON...

Over the piece a draw was about right. The "third" Well turned up today - a weird mixture of the very good and downright awful. We started every brightly scoring early on and for the first 10 / 15 minutes looked very good. Then for the next 60 minutes we defended far too deeply, surrendered midield and looked very shaky defensively. In the closing stages we once again looked good after United tired.

In the first half, Hammell and Gunning looked all over the place defensively and gave United a lifeline. They did improve a bit in the second half. In general the midfield seemed unwilling or unable to support the 2 strikers for most of the game and Jamie Murphy looked totally out of sorts once again. He proved once again he's no defender. Humphrey should have been introduced before HT.

The ref had a huge influence on the game ad United quickly and cynically took advantage of his leniency. First off their RB should have been cautioned for a shocking late challenge on one of our lads. Had the ref done that, that would have spiked United's guns early on. Next up Barry Douglas was extremely fortunate to escape a red card for lashing out at a prostrate Fran Jeffers - not even a word from the ref. Quite a bit of diving too from Swanson and Goodwillie. I thought that United's first should have been ruled out as Swanson impeded Gunning near the corner flag. David Goodwillie's sportsmanship - don't get me started. The game had a nasty edge to it and United are beginning to remind me of Alex MacDonald's Hearts side. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

On a positive note I thought that Jeffers and Sutton played very well.

We'll need to up our game in the replay though - United will have daly and Kenneth back, although Jennings will be back for us. Must learn not be be bullied and intimidated by physical sides though.

+1

Good summing up of the game.

Also like to add that Goodwillie is a total knob. Skilful, talented player maybe but still a knob. I'm also going to miss the replay :( as I'll be in Leicester that week on a training course for my work.

If Stuart McCall made any errors today it was that he didn't get the midfield right. Oh for a box to box central midfielder!

Saunders had a poor game as did Murphy but in the latter's defence, defending was never his strong point.

saunders had a good game. hutchy was exposed at both goals, he's cost us a good few goals recently.

who do you want mccall to play in midfield? unless you can do a weird science and create your 6 foot 4 wet dream midfielder out of nothing there's not many options.

who do you want mccall to play in midfield? unless you can do a weird scienceand create your 6 foot 4 wet dream midfielder out of nothing there's not many options.

In central midfield we're woefully short of an attacking player and it shows. Jones would have been a more offensive alternative to Hammell and Jamie Murphy shold have been taken off, arguably before HT, in favour of Chris Humphrey. Whilst Humphrey's finishing tends to let him down he ties up 2 players. Maybe time to try out Jon Page in central midfield?

In central midfield we're woefully short of an attacking player and it shows. Jones would have been a more offensive alternative to Hammell and Jamie Murphy shold have been taken off, arguably before HT, in favour of Chris Humphrey. Whilst Humphrey's finishing tends to let him down he ties up 2 players. Maybe time to try out Jon Page in central midfield?

i agree murphy was out of sorts but humphrey and forbes have been playing each other into the team for the past month. humphrey was dire the last time we played at tannadice and sold the third goal last week so i'm not suprised he was a last resort. murphy was given a chance to show something in the 2nd half and when it was apparent he wasn't going to he got hooked, i totally understand the manager's thought process.

i thought hammell did well in midfield. he got two assists and played a great ball to gunning in the box which was almost a goal. what more do you want?

I actually thought the midfield was all right today. Murphy was fine attacking wise - not brilliant but good enough. His problem was his tracking back and defensive awareness. Hateley and Lasley were good in the middle and were just a tad more aware offensively than the usual two and just seemed to get the balance right as a pair and I thought Hammell was excellent. He pushed forward when he could - both our goals came from him but he knew when to track back and when Gunning had an offensive moment he sat back. You're right about Humphrey tying up two men and that is when Jennings and Lasley become an issue because they only tie up one as they are relatively limited offensively and that evens it up again. Not sure about bringing Page into the middle of midfield. Would give Meechan a shot there first I think. But its a real tough call because I think Lasley and Jennings have been two of our best three outfield players this season.

Hammell was very effective and was at the heart of all things good going forward, so how you can say that another defensively minded young player would be a better option is bonkers. But then you dont rate him given your consistant moans about him. Hammell is a solid player, probably better going forward than defensively, but then so is alot of full backs in the modern game. Also remember he's played for donkeys years with little or no protection in front of him. Now Gunning is there, they are starting to form a decent understanding.

Youve got to feel for Murphy, as time after time he is shifted around the team to accomodate another player, and on this occasion Jeffers, who had a really good game. Murphy is obviously a confidence player, and if things fails to happen for him early on, he tends to struggle. But then we forget he is a young boy who for long parts of the season was our only attacking threat, and is still learning the game. He offered more protection to Saunders than Humphrey, and did ok, not brilliant but ok, as he covered back.

Given the strength, talent, experience of Utd, and fact it was their home game, i thought our young players did very well today. Sure mistakes were made at the back, but thats bound to happen.

The replay will be just as tight, so i hope we start practicising penalties!

Very much so. Jennings and Lasley are too similar in style. Oh for a box to box central midfielder!

I agree with the point but I'm wondering if McCall has encouraged Lasley to get forward more often. He's bagged a couple of goals recently and he seems to be getting into offensive position more often than in recent times.

As for the box to box midfielder when did we last have one? Probably the young Phil O'Donnell. I remember telling everyone we should sign young Colin Cameron from Raith Rovers!

Watched the highlights. Looked like a good game with a good atmosphere. Nice to see, I don't like this 'the cups are dead' school of thought.

Thought we really dodged a bullet when Saunders tackled Goodwillie. Definite penalty, how the referee didn't give it I'm not quite sure.

Disappointed at both goals we lost. Gunning needs a wrap on the knuckles for his rolling around instead of defending malarkey and Randolph should have done better, the shot was straight at him.

The second goal, it's so crazy you don't even know where to point the finger. Certainly Saunders as right back was nowhere to be seen, and I assume Hutchinson was supposed to be right centre half. Why everyone got drawn left I'm not to sure.

Anyway, looked like a decent performance overall and hopefully we can edge it at Fir Park. At least Brian Welsh won't be playing this time!

• Like 1

Watched the highlights. Looked like a good game with a good atmosphere. Nice to see, I don't like this 'the cups are dead' school of thought.

Thought we really dodged a bullet when Saunders tackled Goodwillie. Definite penalty, how the referee didn't give it I'm not quite sure.

Disappointed at both goals we lost. Gunning needs a wrap on the knuckles for his rolling around instead of defending malarkey and Randolph should have done better, the shot was straight at him.

The second goal, it's so crazy you don't even know where to point the finger. Certainly Saunders as right back was nowhere to be seen, and I assume Hutchinson was supposed to be right centre half. Why everyone got drawn left I'm not to sure.

Anyway, looked like a decent performance overall and hopefully we can edge it at Fir Park. At least Brian Welsh won't be playing this time!

No way was Saunders challenge a penalty - Saunders did leave his leg out but Goodwillie was trying to make the most of it.

For the Utd second goal, Craigan goes to cover Gunning who is nowhere to be seen and Hutchison and Saunders came left to cover the gap left by Craigan. Had Gunning been at left back then the rest of our defence wouldn't have to cover and someone would've been able to be cover Daly.

Sometimes we go over the action in incredible detail - Every goal against / missed pass has to be allocated to somebody - "you don't even know where to point the finger"

It was a great game of football - could have gone either way. Replay to look forward to.

Good stuff

Spot on Dodge. Saunders tackle was never a penalty and Badboaby was looking to go down from the minute he got the ball.

Absolute waste of space of a player. His antics with the return ball was a disgrace.

Actually went for a piss just after his goal and there was a guy in the bog going on about how the Well fans were trying to wind him up.

FFS ask the lassie who woke up with him on top of her how she feels about him.

Absolute ar**hole of a man.

Hope he gets it tight in the replay.

Mon the Dossers

Saunders left his leg in for Goodwillie to fall over but he didn't touch him, cheating c**t dived. Should have been a booking.

Gunning was caught on the back of the leg so it's a foul. If he'd made more of it we might have been given it but sadly refs seem incapable of making their minds up unless the player exaggerates the foul. Too honest in rolling over then getting straight back up without claiming for it.

FFS ask the lassie who woke up with him on top of her how she feels about him.

Absolute ar**hole of a man.

That's quite a wild wild statement to be making - online forum or not mate. Wrong person reading that at this moment of time and they could kick up quite a shit fit about it.

Baring in mind the fact it's factually incorrect at this moment in time anaw........

Personally, couldn't really care less however i'm not everyone. It is a fairly wild statement to be making.

Just saying likes....

• Like 1