Chris Porter Signs For Derby County

Motherwell Fan

I think even leaving aside McDonald's off the field attitude, there is a world of difference between Porter and McDonald on the field. McDonald was all about Scott McDonald, not really a team player. I remember at the time some people said "Well, can you blame him? Would you give the ball to Clarkson??". Porter seemed to have no problem with doing so and it didn't work out too badly. As I've said in this thread earlier, Porter and Clarkson were a great partnership. I don't recall McDonald combining that well with anyone...

The fact of the matter is Butcher focused the team around McDonald because he knew he was our best player and for the most part it worked.

Also, McDonald scored 15 league goals in the Malpas season. He keep us up. If it wasn't for McDonald you'd probably be watching First Division football. For all the moaning and complaining from Well fans, McDonald was one of the few players that made an effort that season even though he knew he'd be off.

He was ambitious and a Celtic fan, get over it! McDonald was probably one of the top four strikers we've had at this club in the last quarter of a century.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be gutted to see him go.

I'd much rather hold on to him til the summer and lose him for nothing, but that's probably just me being greedy. He's been superb for us, brought us some great memories and scored THE goal against Abedeento take us over the finish line fo Europe.

Easily our best stike since Coyne, all the best big man.

I just hope, if it is Sutton stepping in, that we don't turn into the long ball team we were earlier in the season when he was in the team.

The fact of the matter is Butcher focused the team around McDonald because he knew he was our best player and for the most part it worked.

Also, McDonald scored 15 league goals in the Malpas season. He keep us up. If it wasn't for McDonald you'd probably be watching First Division football. For all the moaning and complaining from Well fans, McDonald was one of the few players that made an effort that season even though he knew he'd be off.

He was ambitious and a Celtic fan, get over it! McDonald was probably one of the top four strikers we've had at this club in the last quarter of a century.

I don't think many are arguing against the fact that he was good. Of course he was good.

He was a wee greetin' faced shite on and off the park and left with nowhere near the level of goodwill that he should have given his contribution on the filed of play.

If he conducted his business in a more respectful (to MFC) and dignified manner - then we'd all be happy to see him further his career.

Is he eligible for the replay at the emirates (if the move goes through)?

I think even leaving aside McDonald's off the field attitude, there is a world of difference between Porter and McDonald on the field. McDonald was all about Scott McDonald, not really a team player. I remember at the time some people said "Well, can you blame him? Would you give the ball to Clarkson??". Porter seemed to have no problem with doing so and it didn't work out too badly. As I've said in this thread earlier, Porter and Clarkson were a great partnership. I don't recall McDonald combining that well with anyone...

I totally agree here - Porter is a top professional, dignified and humble. He was absolutely crucial to the team last season thanks mainly to his temwork and work ethic. That is the complete opposite of what MacDonald was for us. I would say he is arguable one of best players from the last decade, but I'd still take Porter any day of the week! Skippy left us, and although we missed his ability, we ultimately became a better team...Porter leaving us will weaken us a great deal, but it would be foolish not to accept a fee like this for a player we got for nothing, and I beleive Sutton could help fill the gap left while the money could secure a few more players.

Sad to see him go, and I thank him for the way he has handelled himself throughout his time at the club and the overall team contribution he made. Enjoy the Premership next year big man... :P

BBC are running the story now

Motherwell have accepted a bid in the region of £400,000 from Championship side Cardiff City for Chris Porter.

Steelmen boss Mark McGhee told BBC Scotland: "We have received a bid from Cardiff for Chris and it is now up to the lad to decide if he wants to go."

Earlier this month the striker turned down the chance to join Huddersfield Town in a £200,000 deal.

The 25-year-old is Motherwell's top-scorer, and was also interesting Scottish Premier League rivals Hearts.

Porter joined the Lanarkshire outfit in 2007 from Oldham Athletic, and has averaged nearly a goal every two games, but is out of contract at the end of the season.

Although Porter has scored nine goals this term for Motherwell, manager McGhee previously said he would not stand in the player's way if he wanted to leave Fir Park.

"It would benefit clubs like ourselves if we could make a transfer at any time," said McGhee.

"Sometimes there is a cost that you have not budgeted for and and you don't have the money.

"We are in the situation where we are saying, 'We might have to sell now, just in case it happens'. o.gif

"That's a pressure we could do without and I would prefer if we could make these decisions when we need to make them."

Porter scored the winning goal in the 1-0 victory against Hearts earlier this month, days after Tynecastle manager Csaba Laszlo admitted his admiration for the player but stressed the forward was just one of several targets. Sheffield United and Nottingham Forest had also been linked with a move for the Englishman.

Article here: Clicky

"We have received a bid from Cardiff for Chris and it is now up to the lad to decide if he wants to go."

I think he will want to go - Cardiff are flying just now and Premiership football is a real possibility. Plus with the guys prefessionalism, I think he would prefer that Motherwell got something for him rather than nothing, as he is not the type to do over the club who gave him the platform to make the step up.

I think it's as good as a done deal!

Quick McGhee - get shopping!! :P

At least this gives us five days to bring in some reinforcements, not leaving in us a position like Killie have had when Boyd and Naismith left.

his wage cost alone should free up a good bit of budget, add to that 400k in the coffers and although JB will rightly take his share, I'd expect two or three to be with us by the start of next week.

Difference between us and Oldham he goes with our best wishes (assuming he signs of course). Least we got a fee for him, that was all that sticks with them, they lost out on promotion and a million and have remained bitter. We on the other hand managed European Football and inherit the best part of £500k.

I'll be sad to see him go, but this whole deal has been an excellent piece of business. First of all we get him for nothing (cheers Oldham) then he scores a bucketload of goals for us, get's his move to a higher level, and we get £400k. Not bad at all!

We could be seeing Rosscoe and Ports in the Premiership next year, and who knows, maybe even skippy.

Aye right Gazzy :P

Im gutted to see big Chris leave too, just heard this announced on sky sports news. He's been a superb player for us and he leaves with my best wishes, just hope he doesnt end up dissapearing down the leagues like alot of players who have signed down in england from us have done.

apparently the big man is having 2nd thoughts now that Derby are trying to sign him as well !!!

let the bidding war commence !!!!

I said I love him and its getting more and more... :P

Only thing is: We allowed him to go down for a medical, right? So we accepted the Cardiff offer, that wouldnt be a great way to deal with Cardiff, would it..........

ahh, who cares :P