The Well Society

stuwell

The Erasmus programme is a grant for youth development. Literally, free money for youth development. I linked to the programme and explained the set up a few pages back.

In the recent past, £1.8 million a season was pumped into Scottish clubs via Erasmus.

My contact has said he is pretty sure, but not certain, that MFC did not apply for the grant. I would like confirmation that the club did, and if not, why not.

mfcenquiries'AT'motherwellfc.co.uk

Just heard from a contact that the club didn't apply for the Erasmus programme this year. If true.....

What's The Well Societies position on this?

Just clocked this, didn't see it last night and there wasn't a similar question on Twitter so I don't have a thorough answer right now.

There is now a system in the Society where all e-mail questions, concerns, ideas etc are compiled and discussed at length at the next board meeting, with responses drafted up so all enquiries from members and non-members get a reply. I'll add this question and Dezz's one about businesses to the list to be dealt with in the near future, so there should be an answer for you soon.

With that in mind, if anyone wants to ask anything, e-mail well.society@motherwellfc.co.uk and it will be discussed and responded to.

As for last night, cheers to those who came along and those online who asked questions on Twitter. Just the first of hopefully a number of social media Q&As and it was only the second surgery, so hopefully things like that occurring on a regular basis - as well as what I've said above - will at least start to make things far more accessible and transparent for folk.

• Like 4

I am totally confused about the management structure at the club following the transfer of ownership to the fans WS. Normally, in any organisation, even charitable ones, you have a figure head (a CEO or Managing director) he is responsible for the implementation of a strategy agreed by the main board. There would be a Chairman who manages the board and reports to shareholders.

How does this normal corporate governance structure compare with the current WS model. I have seen numerous communications from the WS but none off them make it clear how decisions are take. It may be that I don't quite get the model and it has been explained so apologies if I have missed it. But who is ultimately in charge of financial decisions at the club i.e who carries the can? Who ultimately makes major football decisions? Who the fuck do I complain to about the shambles the club is in? Myself as a fan owner?

Flow is mentioned a lot and complained about but he is just an employee and I don't see that he has much power over these types of decisions, I could be wrong but I just don't know.

I think the reason we are in such a state is a sign the overall structure is just not working, I don't necessarily think the WS model is bad I just don't think it has been implemented properly. Everyone is hiding and there is no clarity on who makes decisions. Apologies if this offends board members but I feel I know about business but this structure is not transparent.

Any clarification would be much appreciated because I am stumped.

I am totally confused about the management structure at the club following the transfer of ownership to the fans WS. Normally, in any organisation, even charitable ones, you have a figure head (a CEO or Managing director) he is responsible for the implementation of a strategy agreed by the main board. There would be a Chairman who manages the board and reports to shareholders.

How does this normal corporate governance structure compare with the current WS model. I have seen numerous communications from the WS but none off them make it clear how decisions are take. It may be that I don't quite get the model and it has been explained so apologies if I have missed it. But who is ultimately in charge of financial decisions at the club i.e who carries the can? Who ultimately makes major football decisions? Who the fuck do I complain to about the shambles the club is in? Myself as a fan owner?

Flow is mentioned a lot and complained about but he is just an employee and I don't see that he has much power over these types of decisions, I could be wrong but I just don't know.

I think the reason we are in such a state is a sign the overall structure is just not working, I don't necessarily think the WS model is bad I just don't think it has been implemented properly. Everyone is hiding and there is no clarity on who makes decisions. Apologies if this offends board members but I feel I know about business but this structure is not transparent.

Any clarification would be much appreciated because I am stumped.

Whatever the structure we appear to have far too many people involved which has led to an inevitable lack of leadership and accountability.

• Like 1

Certainly understand the confusion over the Society/club structure, it's something I wasn't entirely sure on myself prior to joining the WS Board & it's a point I've made numerous times - myself & Craig Hughes are now working on revamping all the content on the website including, we hope, making it as clear as possible how the thing actually works.

It's worth pointing out, though, that in terms of the kind of club decisions that I think you guys are referring to, it's no different than it always has been and, I would imagine, isn't any different from any other club. We have the Board of Directors which is six individuals: Jim McMahon (Chairman), Alan Burrows (Chief Operating Officer), Graham Keys (Secretary), Leanne Thomas, and the two Well Society representatives Douglas Dickie & Tom Feely. I understand that the confusion over the structure might make folk believe there's loads of people involved in making decisions or that there's no leadership, but I don't see that as being the case at all. Just like most other clubs, we have a small Board of Directors calling the shots, amongst who is a Chairman, Secretary etc. There seems the same level of leadership and accountability as any other club in that regard. The impact of fan-ownership on the club's board is that one-third of it represents the Well Society members, but the actual club Board format remains the same.

The Well Society Board's role is to run the Society, not the club. However, as the major shareholder, there's obviously discussions to be had on club matters so that the two Society reps on the club board are aware of the Society's opinions as a whole. Most of the confusion I had over the structure was the result of this "Supervisory Board" patter which didn't make a great deal of sense to me, and seemed to look a bit like committees to serve committees. However, having now seen the way things work first hand I do understand why it exists. I'm not sure it's the best model about, but it does serve a function - it's role is to discuss club matters, as mentioned above, aside from actual Well Society matters and basically ensure that the two Society reps are going into club Board meetings fully aware of the fan-ownership group's take on things.

But ultimately, all decisions made at the club in terms of finances, footballing matters etc are still the responsibility of six Board members, two of whom are representing the Society. If you have any gripes about those decisions, it's still the same club Board that you should direct them at!

• Like 1

Jay- was there any Society presence in the POD Stand yesterday? I couldn't see any.

Thanks for the feedback incidentally.

Sorry, missed this mate. Think it might just have been a one-off where, due to last minute circumstances, there wasn't anyone available in the POD Stand, but there'll be a presence there most weeks.

• Like 1

Certainly understand the confusion over the Society/club structure, it's something I wasn't entirely sure on myself prior to joining the WS Board & it's a point I've made numerous times - myself & Craig Hughes are now working on revamping all the content on the website including, we hope, making it as clear as possible how the thing actually works.

It's worth pointing out, though, that in terms of the kind of club decisions that I think you guys are referring to, it's no different than it always has been and, I would imagine, isn't any different from any other club. We have the Board of Directors which is six individuals: Jim McMahon (Chairman), Alan Burrows (Chief Operating Officer), Graham Keys (Secretary), Leanne Thomas, and the two Well Society representatives Douglas Dickie & Tom Feely. I understand that the confusion over the structure might make folk believe there's loads of people involved in making decisions or that there's no leadership, but I don't see that as being the case at all. Just like most other clubs, we have a small Board of Directors calling the shots, amongst who is a Chairman, Secretary etc. There seems the same level of leadership and accountability as any other club in that regard. The impact of fan-ownership on the club's board is that one-third of it represents the Well Society members, but the actual club Board format remains the same.

The Well Society Board's role is to run the Society, not the club. However, as the major shareholder, there's obviously discussions to be had on club matters so that the two Society reps on the club board are aware of the Society's opinions as a whole. Most of the confusion I had over the structure was the result of this "Supervisory Board" patter which didn't make a great deal of sense to me, and seemed to look a bit like committees to serve committees. However, having now seen the way things work first hand I do understand why it exists. I'm not sure it's the best model about, but it does serve a function - it's role is to discuss club matters, as mentioned above, aside from actual Well Society matters and basically ensure that the two Society reps are going into club Board meetings fully aware of the fan-ownership group's take on things.

But ultimately, all decisions made at the club in terms of finances, footballing matters etc are still the responsibility of six Board members, two of whom are representing the Society. If you have any gripes about those decisions, it's still the same club Board that you should direct them at!

Jay many thanks for the clarification. Very helpful. I now can stop writing angry emails to myself!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Just a wee heads up that the Society are running a free bus to Inverness on the last day of the season for members. There are more details on the website: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/05/11/well-society-bus-to-inverness

Talking of the website, myself and Craig have been busy recently revamping the content and restructuring the menus a bit. There's now some new stuff on there, with a lot more still to come. A few pages still need updated which we'll be doing over the next couple of weeks, but feel free to go on now, have a browse, and get back with any thoughts. In particular, the new "How It Works" page - which is my attempt to simplify the whole thing for folk - is now online: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/how-it-works/

Next Board meeting is a week on Tuesday - I'll ensure that the two questions above are on the agenda.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

FPC's report on tonight's AGM

http://www.motherwell-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/well_society_agm_2017_908985/index.shtml

Well Society AGM 2017

By Firparkcorner

Last updated : 22 June 2017 Viewed : 21

The Well Society held its first AGM since taking ownership of Motherwell FC at Fir Park on Thursday evening. The formalities were soon completed and a Q&A session followed.

Chairman Douglas Dickie got proceedings going with some wide ranging remarks about the recent work of the Society. He referred to the improvements in communication with members by means of the updated website, regular newsletters, board meeting reports, monthly surgeries and a regular presence in the stands on match-days.

Work on updating members' data has progressed to such an extent that it was expected personalised mailshots could be sent in the coming weeks both to convey thanks for support and to encourage further contributions. A revised package of benefits would soon be revealed.

Current income is around £10/11k per month and with the generous 'Double your Money' scheme in operation for the whole of 2017 there is an obvious need to maximise donations. For every pound raised Les Hutchison will reduce our debt by a corresponding amount. The three year agreement concluded last October requires that repayments of his loan (and the smaller amount due to John Boyle) need come only from a percentage of any player sales. Thereafter another negotiation is likely. In total the Society has raised £650k and that is used to support the club.

Douglas referred to the financial backing available to our competitors and reminded the thirty or so in the audience that we are the backers of Motherwell. The manager is completely familiar with the clubs finances and his plans are tailored to be consistent with the resources at his disposal.

Tom Feely delivered his accounts and answered a few technical questions. He made it clear that any sale of players would be determined by the Club/Society board and that we would seek a proper valuation.

He indicated that fewer than 800 members made regular contributions and that efforts would be made to encourage more of the 2,000 currently on the books to sign up.

Alan Burrows chipped in with an explanation of the club's position on the SFA's Project Brave. He is hopeful that we will meet their criteria but indicated that some creative thinking would be needed if we are to continue to develop youngsters from our community.

The meeting concluded after an hour.

Damn , I got distracted and missed this

thanks for posting the summary Toxteth.

very concerned on a personal level that there appears to be a change in policy regarding the primary use/destination of society income

would have liked to put question directly, .since the clarity has repeatedly been withheld in all the improved communications

Damn , I got distracted and missed this

thanks for posting the summary Toxteth.

very concerned on a personal level that there appears to be a change in policy regarding the primary use/destination of society income

would have liked to put question directly, .since the clarity has repeatedly been withheld in all the improved communications

Yeah not sure if its just the way its also been summarised but it didnt read too well.

Hopefully some clarity follows asap.

Now I know nothing about shareholders/AGMs/whatever the fuck but do we expect the answer to that?

Is that a valid question?

What's the current balance of the WS account?

Just my opinion. That information should only be available to members of WS and not divulged on any forum.

• Like 1

That information should only be available to members of WS and not divulged on any forum.

Absolutely.

I also agree with your other point. Although it may not have been explained very clearly by the Society, the organisation's income is/will be continually used to support the club ie it will not be paid back, as we originally thought at its inception. I have no problem with that whatsoever providing its explained clearly to members and is not misused.