The Well Society

stuwell

I'm not looking for any confidential information. I may recall incorrectly but back when we were targeting a fund of £1.5mil, I thought we used to have a publicly available running total.

At present, all members know how much is going in each month but I was left a little confused by the bottom line after we were informed of the latest 6 figure sum going to the club. I'll check my emails.

Damn , I got distracted and missed this

thanks for posting the summary Toxteth.

very concerned on a personal level that there appears to be a change in policy regarding the primary use/destination of society income

would have liked to put question directly, .since the clarity has repeatedly been withheld in all the improved communications

Hi mate, I'm not 100% exactly what it is you're referring to in all honesty, so apologies if this doesn't help - but are you referring to the Society investing funds into the club?

That's something that's been communicated a couple of times now, including this recent statement: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/06/02/well-society-statement-finances/, but obviously if you still feel there's a lack of clarity then you should definitely be posing questions and highlighting concerns. Whether it's by Twitter, Facebook, e-mail, or in person at the surgeries or on a match-day, there are now plenty of ways to get the answers you're after.

As weeyin also mentions, Society accounts are available via e-mail.

But aye, if there's anything you want to discuss, definitely get in touch. Might not be me that answers directly, but I'll absolutely make someone does.

• Like 1

I'd also add that, just like with monthly board meetings, the Society will be putting out its own summary of what was discussed at the AGM. It might be worth holding fire on any immediate concerns raised by the FPC article - it's a decent enough overview of the evening, but it's obviously not going to provide as much clarify as the official report from the Society itself.

That's not to say that any more general questions or concerns, unrelated to the FPC account, shouldn't be fired the way of the Society.

May seem like a silly question but just for clarification. if say say you have pledged £20 for 24 mths = 480 you will qualify for the rewards in the "steel" category and the "pre steel"

Answered as well. Fingers smarter than brain this morning.

Edited by Villageman

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a few wee updates from the last week or two for anybody who might be out the loop:

CRACKING DEAL FOR PERTH: There are still some tickets left for the exclusive Tullibardine day out for St Johnstone Away. All the income from it will be, as usual, doubled by Les. £30 for Society members means that, given it's £23 at the gate, you are essentially paying £7 for bus to/from Perth, a tour of a distillery, and a couple of drams. You'd be hard pushed to find a better deal than that anywhere: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/07/21/distillery-day-out-for-travelling-well-support/

SYRIAN GUESTS: We had about forty Syrian refugees along to the Berwick Rangers match on Saturday, along with around a dozen support workers and council employees assisting the refugees' resettlement, as guests of the Well Society: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/07/25/society-to-welcome-syrian-guests-to-cup-tie/

It was a fantastic day. They were incredibly warm, friendly, and intrigued by the club. I sat in amongst them in the Main Stand and it's safe to say they weren't there as neutrals - they celebrated Frear's goal more than I did: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/08/01/syrian-guests-take-in-narrow-well-victory/

OPEN DAY/7S: The Open Day and the Well Society 7s tournament also took part at the weekend, both great successes: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/07/31/its-our-club/

GREATEST 25 PLAYERS: And the MFC Podcast's 'Off-Air' book series will see a third and final publication released later this year based on the top 25 post-war 'Well players. Supporters can have their say on who is included and all monies raised will go straight to the Society - after being doubled by Les: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/08/03/off-air-3-fundraising-publication-announced-by-society-and-podcast/

EXILES CLUB: Additionally, there will be further news next week on the Well Society Exiles Club progress. We've been discussing ideas and suggestions directly with a number of Society members based abroad and things are coming together nicely.

• Like 6

Jay - I've 2 suggestions /comments to make, that may be of interest to others. Firstly, the double your money offer by Les. Only 5 months to go now and the clock is running down. The Society has a window of opportunity between now and say late November for fund raising. Many folk have returned from holidays or are about to. From mid/late November onwards many families' attentions will be turning to Christmas and all the expense that brings. We need to pull out all the stops now to raise more cash from members. I know there has been a fair bit of publicity already but lets see more reps in stands or outside the club shop; yet more publicity; even bucket collections. We'll only get one chance and we need to maximise that.

Secondly, I know this is about the club but maybe the Society could exert some gentle pressure on the club to update the official website. Its our door to the world and badly needs refurbishment and updating.

• Like 1

I joined the society when it was set up and made the one off payment but didn't set up a direct debit when the scheme was changed.

Surprisingly I have never been contacted directly by the society by phone or email to see if I would be willing to do so (although I do receive circular emails).

I did sign up recently but I thought the society was trying to contact lapsed members, particularly with the Les pledge.

Jay - I've 2 suggestions /comments to make, that may be of interest to others. Firstly, the double your money offer by Les. Only 5 months to go now and the clock is running down. The Society has a window of opportunity between now and say late November for fund raising. Many folk have returned from holidays or are about to. From mid/late November onwards many families' attentions will be turning to Christmas and all the expense that brings. We need to pull out all the stops now to raise more cash from members. I know there has been a fair bit of publicity already but lets see more reps in stands or outside the club shop; yet more publicity; even bucket collections. We'll only get one chance and we need to maximise that.

Secondly, I know this is about the club but maybe the Society could exert some gentle pressure on the club to update the official website. Its our door to the world and badly needs refurbishment and updating.

Hi mate, thanks for the feedback. The fundraising for the Les deal is something the Society is now pushing forward with. Even things like the 7s tournament and the whisky trip for St Johnstone Away play a big part of that. And there are events and initiatives already being planned for later in the year, as you'd expect.

I think it's fair to say communication and advertising of these things is now a lot better, although obviously there's always room for improvement. Need Society members to play a part too though, both in encouraging others to get involved in such events and getting involved themselves. The Perth trip in particular costs the Society very little as the guy at Tullibardine is a Society member and has donated the day out, yet uptake is slow. Even if whisky isn't your thing, it's essentially £7 for a return bus to St Johnstone Away (given it's £23 to get in), and £30 (£60 when doubled by Les) to the Society. We're continuing to do all we can to encourage folk to take up something like that and there's absolutely no question that the Society's lack of pushing the Les deal for most of 2017 is disappointing, but there also needs to be the desire from Society members and the 'Well fans to support the initiative too.

Society reps are on stalls in all stands at Fir Park every home game (apart from when it's actually impossible because folk are ill or whatever) and there'll be buckets at these stalls this season, as far as I'm aware.

The official website is certainly outwith the Society's remit but you're right, it needs to be updated and maintained. Can certainly mention this at the next Supervisory Board meeting.

I joined the society when it was set up and made the one off payment but didn't set up a direct debit when the scheme was changed.

Surprisingly I have never been contacted directly by the society by phone or email to see if I would be willing to do so (although I do receive circular emails).

I did sign up recently but I thought the society was trying to contact lapsed members, particularly with the Les pledge.

There are letters being posted in batches to all lapsed members, although these are being sent out in waves depending on when the member joined, how much they contributed etc. Hundreds of letters have now been sent out stating how much that member has contributed so far, and including all the information on the new benefits and how to restart pledges.

It may be that you simply haven't been contacted yet because you're set to receive something in the coming weeks. Or it could be that your details on the system aren't correct. It may be worth e-mailing Craig (Craig.Hughes@motherwellfc.co.uk) if you think it might be the latter, as he is overseeing the sending of letters.

• Like 2

Few folk got in touch about engaging fans abroad more, so we've been planning an "Exiles Club" for a few weeks now. Some positive news on that front: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/08/08/ally-maxwell-announced-as-exiles-club-ambassador/

Ally Maxwell Announced as Exiles Club Ambassador!

A few months ago, the Well Society announced plans for an opt-in Exiles Club – a group aimed towards helping ‘Well fans outwith the local area feel connected with the club and engaged with fan-ownership.

The Society has received a tremendous response to the plans so far, with fans currently based all over the globe getting in touch to provide ideas and suggestions, having direct input into what the Exiles Club will look like upon its launch in the coming weeks.

And one very familiar face, who continues to follow the Steelmen from afar, was more than happy to get involved in the project too.

Ally Maxwell certainly fits into the Exiles Club category, now enjoying a successful coaching career working with SC Del Sol Soccer Club and the Arizona State University, having originally grown up in Motherwell before playing for his claret and amber boyhood heroes – and he is, of course, still fondly remembered by ‘Well fans for his heroics in the 1991 Scottish Cup Final.

“When you think about it, Motherwell laid the foundation for the rest of my life,” explains Ally. “As a young boy, I went to Fir Park every Saturday with my dad to watch the games and I signed with the boys’ club at 11 years of age so it was literally my whole life. Everything revolved around the club.”

“To go through the system and eventually win the Scottish Cup at age twenty-five was my childhood dream come true. The club and the fans mean everything to me. I owe them so much for making me the person I am today. “

Despite having a busy life in the States, Ally still finds time to keep up with the ‘Well with his family engrained in the club.

“My family still lives in the area and Dad goes to a few games when he can,” says the ’91 legend. “My oldest son just graduated from college where he played ‘soccer’ all four years and loves to text me scores, player moves etc, so I’m still pretty connected.”

“With social media these days, I can catch up with what is going on almost as it’s happening so there is no excuse not to be connected. I plan my trips back home around when I can attend a few matches so I’m a huge fan as well!”

Ally will be involved with the Well Society Exiles Club as an Ambassador and will be looking to assist us as we reach out to supporters all over the world.

The Society is continuing to discuss plans with a number of fans abroad and we hope to announce full details soon.

If you are keen to learn more about the Exiles Club get in touch with us at well.society@motherwellfc.co.uk.

• Like 6

Couple of more updates today:

ST JOHNSTONE AWAY:

Firstly, the Tullibardine trip on Saturday is now open to all 'Well fans. Costs are £30 for Society members, £40 for non-members. That's bus to/from the game, a tour of the distillery, a couple of tastings, and a match ticket included - incredible value given it's £23 to get in in the first place.

Uptake hasn't been as good as we'd have hoped for so if interested, please get involved. This is not just an excellent day out at St. Johnstone Away, but it also fund raises for the "Double Your Money" initiative.

What better way to celebrate Blyth leaving than with the fitba and a few drams while helping the Well Society (ie. the Club) at the same time?

For more info: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/07/21/distillery-day-out-for-travelling-well-support/

WEEKLY AUCTION:

The Society is going to be auctioning match-worn, signed jerseys from a number of players from the last few years.

These will go online every Thursday morning, starting tomorrow.

Again, it's a way to raise funds which will be subsequently doubled by Les.

More info: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/08/08/well-society-weekly-auction/

• Like 3

Couple of more updates today:

ST JOHNSTONE AWAY:

Firstly, the Tullibardine trip on Saturday is now open to all 'Well fans. Costs are £30 for Society members, £40 for non-members. That's bus to/from the game, a tour of the distillery, a couple of tastings, and a match ticket included - incredible value given it's £23 to get in in the first place.

Uptake hasn't been as good as we'd have hoped for so if interested, please get involved. This is not just an excellent day out at St. Johnstone Away, but it also fund raises for the "Double Your Money" initiative.

What better way to celebrate Blyth leaving than with the fitba and a few drams while helping the Well Society (ie. the Club) at the same time?

For more info: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/07/21/distillery-day-out-for-travelling-well-support/

WEEKLY AUCTION:

The Society is going to be auctioning match-worn, signed jerseys from a number of players from the last few years.

These will go online every Thursday morning, starting tomorrow.

Again, it's a way to raise funds which will be subsequently doubled by Les.

More info: http://www.thewellsociety.co.uk/2017/08/08/well-society-weekly-auction/

Genuinely can't make Saturday, but that looks a cracking offer !

MON RA DOSSERS